Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New basketball schedule is out and looking better!

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: New basketball schedule is out and looking better!

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:06 am

The encouraging thing to me about this schedule is that is shows some RPI savvy. It won't matter for this year (for App - it will still help the rest of the Sun Belt), but in the future, IMO the bigger issue than avoiding non-D1 opponents is avoiding RPI killers, i.e., the worst of the worst in D1. I'm probably in the minority for this board, but once we're competing for an NCAA bid, I'd rather 1-2 D2 teams than sub-300 D1 teams, and same goes for the rest of the Sun Belt.

Obviously RPI varies from year to year, but in general, you want to avoid the very weakest conferences and teams that are pretty much always terrible. Based on last year's RPI, our OOC schedule only includes one sub-300 opponent (Furman) and a couple other sub-250 ones (Hofstra and Jacksonville). We kept games vs. the SWAC, MEAC, Southland and America East to a minimum (just one - Hampton - and they went 13-3 in the MEAC last year).

And of course, the three power conference opponents plus solid mid-majors in Charlotte and Ohio are good.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:23 am

8993 wrote:We only play home 12 times compared to playing on the road 17 times. I'm a little lost as to why that is...
Maybe we have to prove that we will not always be an empty house.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:39 am

appgrouch wrote:
goapps93 wrote:
8993 wrote:We only play home 12 times compared to playing on the road 17 times. I'm a little lost as to why that is...

4 of the road games are over Christmas break. Not much point in playing at home when there are no students in Boone. Would like to see a few more too but overall it's a much better schedule than we've had in the past. A little strange we go to Furman but mayby they come to Boone next season. It will be nice to finish the season with a 4 game home stand. And it's strange not seeing Sun Belt Tournament dates at the end of the schedule. Maybe next year, I hope.
Since we are APR banned for this season in the NCAA tourney, we are most likely the same for the Sunbelt.
Yeah,that's what I was alluding to. I think it was determined some time back that due to APR we wouldn't be able to qualify for the SB tourney or NCAA.
WE ARE YOSEF!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:44 pm

goapps93 wrote:
appgrouch wrote:
goapps93 wrote:

4 of the road games are over Christmas break. Not much point in playing at home when there are no students in Boone. Would like to see a few more too but overall it's a much better schedule than we've had in the past. A little strange we go to Furman but mayby they come to Boone next season. It will be nice to finish the season with a 4 game home stand. And it's strange not seeing Sun Belt Tournament dates at the end of the schedule. Maybe next year, I hope.
Since we are APR banned for this season in the NCAA tourney, we are most likely the same for the Sunbelt.
Yeah,that's what I was alluding to. I think it was determined some time back that due to APR we wouldn't be able to qualify for the SB tourney or NCAA.
Check the schedule for the Lady Apps. The Sunbelt Tourney is listed for them. Our men are suffering for the low APR. When the regular season ends, they're well done. Get a fork.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”