Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Men's BBall at UNCC

Charfan
School: Charlotte

Re: Men's BBall at UNCC

Unread post by Charfan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:01 pm

It's nice to have peer programs out there with great dedicated fan bases like you guys. Can't wait for the next installment of App vs UNCC whether it be on the hardwood, diamond or whatever.

Later guys.

BTK2000
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by BTK2000 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:15 pm

I don't know what you expected coming over to this board.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:03 pm

Charfan wrote:
MAD Doctor wrote:Shooting fish in a barrel IN Charlotte. Get your facts straight. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice! Now you guys are learning something. You've mastered the fact that UNC Charlotte is actually in Charlotte. The sky is the limit for you now!
Not sure if Unc hyphen Charlotte is actually in Concord or Harrisburg, but I do know that you sure can't find their football team in Boone.

So long. Guess the Tarhole game came on. :lol:

Charfan

Unread post by Charfan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:52 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Charfan wrote:
MAD Doctor wrote:Shooting fish in a barrel IN Charlotte. Get your facts straight. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice! Now you guys are learning something. You've mastered the fact that UNC Charlotte is actually in Charlotte. The sky is the limit for you now!
Not sure if Unc hyphen Charlotte is actually in Concord or Harrisburg, but I do know that you sure can't find their football team in Boone.

So long. Guess the Tarhole game came on. :lol:
You will find them on your campus in 2019.

You can also find them in Charlotte on 2018 when we host Appalachian State.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/sun-bel ... ineers.php

Not sure what the TarHoles have to do with this discussion, I can think of about 10,000 things I would rather do than watch those cheaters but since they seem to be on your mind I hope you enjoy that game! :lol:

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:27 pm

Oh, you're back. Obsess much?
I do hope you can pull yourself away from our board long enough to enjoy your holiday.

As for 2019, if Judy's plan was to wait until you could beat us, that 's not looking too good for you, plus your fan base is receding faster than Coach Major's hairline. So troll on- I'm sure it gets lonely on your board. :D

Charfan

Unread post by Charfan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:58 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:Oh, you're back. Obsess much?
I do hope you can pull yourself away from our board long enough to enjoy your holiday.

As for 2019, if Judy's plan was to wait until you could beat us, that 's not looking too good for you, plus your fan base is receding faster than Coach Major's hairline. So troll on- I'm sure it gets lonely on your board. :D

I'm enjoying my holiday in part BECAUSE of your fine board. I think it's one of the best boards out there and I peruse it often because I like to keep myself current with the happenings on our closest peer program. I also think your board members are USUALLY some of the wisest and most reasonable fans on the Net. I think that gets lost sometimes when it comes to UNCC. Still trying to figure out WHY.

I have no idea what Judy's plan is or was. I'm just glad we are scheduled to play. I think it's safe to assume that if we waited for anything it was only to have a CHANCE to be competitive. App St. has a fine football program and anyone thinking it would only take 5 years to guarantee victory against App going from zero to FBS in that time, well they just aren't thinking correctly. I certainly don't think that way and no informed Niner fan I know think that way. We are all just glad we get to play a close regional peer institution. Somewhere we all have friends and family who are associated with. It's going to be a good game and a good event for both sides.

As far as the fan base receding. No kidding. We have to get our students in line. Our alumni are doing fine but the student body is really failing.

As far as Major's hairline, man that's low. The guy can't help what his hair looks like. That's genetics. He might not be the best coach out there but he runs a tight ship and has a good reputation so please if your going to crap on him pick something besides his hair. That's just cheap.

And for anyone in here who think I'm trolling please refer to the entire thread. All I did is GENTLY rib you guys TWICE after we beat you in hoops. That's good natured ribbing gentlemen. If that was too harsh then you guys need to toughen up.

I did not get negative on App. I still have not gotten negative on App. I never will, because I have nothing negative to say about App. You guys went negative on UNCC right off the bat and if you think I'm not going to respond to that you're crazy.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:09 pm

UNCC needs to cut back the student allotment to 50% until they take it seriously. I ran into one UNCC alum at a Christmas party and he seemed pissed about the turnout. Then I asked how many games he went to, zero. Classic.

Charfan

Unread post by Charfan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:06 pm

100% agree.

The student senate voted to allow the student allotment to be cut next year by 3K. I think it's still on the Chancellors desk for review.

I would be shocked if he doesn't sign off.

That combined with some later games (that will help a lot for early season because it gets hot as hell in our stadium) and bigger name opponents will hopefully get things on track.

One thing I can guarantee is this. When we host you guys in '18 it will be a sellout. I hope we can generate the same at your house in '19.

I still maintain that we should be in the same conference. If you took the CUSA and BELT schools from NC, VA, WV, GA, KY, TN and add in Coastal and JMU and ECU and we could have one hell of a conference with about every game drivable! That's how you make your conference relevant in my mind. Easy access for games, schools that actually have a connection to your fan base and/or you have actually heard of.

Just makes to much sense I guess.

The G5 is going to in fight themselves right out of existence at this rate.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:13 pm

Char,
Thanks for the laughs (gentle ribbing). If you are old enough to get a driver's license in 2019, please come on up for the game (only slightly negative). :roll:

Charfan

Unread post by Charfan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:01 am

MAD Doctor wrote:Char,
Thanks for the laughs (gentle ribbing). If you are old enough to get a driver's license in 2019, please come on up for the game (only slightly negative). :roll:
I will be there! I went to my first away games this year. Campbell and Elon. Best time I've had as a Niner fan. Even the loss at Elon was fun. I am going to miss these drivable games. Wish I could have gone to more. Will be up at App next year for basketball. Went to away basketball games at Davidson and Elon this year and again a good time.

I'm telling you. 10 years from now we are all going to wish we were just in the best regional conferences we could get. The P5 are going to shut us out of all the money, shut us out of the playoffs and they are going to drive the cost of competing up so high with their stipends and revenue sharing we won't be able to compete. It's all going to boil down to what's more fun for the fans. Because fan enjoyment = fan loyalty and that's what's going to keep our programs going.

wb247

Unread post by wb247 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:45 am

Charfan wrote:All I did is GENTLY rib you guys TWICE after we beat you in hoops. That's good natured ribbing gentlemen.
So the ribs were for your pleasure?

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:54 am

wb247 wrote:
Charfan wrote:All I did is GENTLY rib you guys TWICE after we beat you in hoops. That's good natured ribbing gentlemen.
So the ribs were for your pleasure?
Maybe at first, but I think our responses started to rubber the wrong way. :lol:
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:40 am

Charfan wrote:When we host you guys in '18 it will be a sellout. I hope we can generate the same at your house in '19.
I am sure we will provide you a sell out, but App doesn't rely on opposing fans to fill the house. Good luck getting a ticket in '19.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:16 am

Niner National wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
Niner National wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:UNcC benefits greatly being located near Charlotte. In reality they should be well ahead of where they are in many facets.

The north line would be headed north with or without the university being 20 miles north of the city was my point.
actually, it wouldn't be. The only reason the line qualified for federal funding was because the University propped up expected ridership high enough. It might have gotten funding to go north to the NoDa area, but there is no chance it would have gone farther than that because the line wouldn't have gotten federal funding and the city certainly couldn't fund it on its own.

Lack of federal funding due to low ridership projections is why we do not have a line planned to the airport.
The city should have used the federal money from the idiotic trolley on the lightrail. From what I understand it was a mass transit grant so that could have been redirected to the light rail that actually gets ridership. I guess brilant decisions like that are what got Fox to DC.
The street car line was funded almost entirely with federal money that was designated specifically for new projects. It wouldn't have qualified for use on the light rail line. It was also only $25 million, which would have covered less than a half mile of light rail.

I agree that the street car is kind of pointless, but the options were pretty much just take the money and build streetcar or get no money at all.

The streetcar wouldn't be bad if it ran from Plaza-Midwood all the way across uptown, but that is 15+ years away from being realistic.
They could have redirected the use if they wanted to. That type of thing happens all the time. It was just a pet project for our former mayor.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:25 am

Charfan wrote:100% agree.

The student senate voted to allow the student allotment to be cut next year by 3K. I think it's still on the Chancellors desk for review.

That combined with some later games (that will help a lot for early season because it gets hot as hell in our stadium) and bigger name opponents will hopefully get things on track.

One thing I can guarantee is this. When we host you guys in '18 it will be a sellout. I hope we can generate the same at your house in '19.

I still maintain that we should be in the same conference. If you took the CUSA and BELT schools from NC, VA, WV, GA, KY, TN and add in Coastal and JMU and ECU and we could have one hell of a conference with about every game drivable! That's how you make your conference relevant in my mind. Easy access for games, schools that actually have a connection to your fan base and/or you have actually heard of.

What is the current plan for adding seats? I know the attendance doesn't warrant it, but having only 15,000 seats isn't going to cut it when you play team that have fan bases that travel well. Will CUSA even allow you to remain at that capacity for more than a few years during the transition? You could sell 10,000 tickets to our fans alone in 2018 if there were enough seats.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Niner National

Unread post by Niner National » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:34 am

JTApps1 wrote:
Niner National wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
Niner National wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:UNcC benefits greatly being located near Charlotte. In reality they should be well ahead of where they are in many facets.

The north line would be headed north with or without the university being 20 miles north of the city was my point.
actually, it wouldn't be. The only reason the line qualified for federal funding was because the University propped up expected ridership high enough. It might have gotten funding to go north to the NoDa area, but there is no chance it would have gone farther than that because the line wouldn't have gotten federal funding and the city certainly couldn't fund it on its own.

Lack of federal funding due to low ridership projections is why we do not have a line planned to the airport.
The city should have used the federal money from the idiotic trolley on the lightrail. From what I understand it was a mass transit grant so that could have been redirected to the light rail that actually gets ridership. I guess brilant decisions like that are what got Fox to DC.
The street car line was funded almost entirely with federal money that was designated specifically for new projects. It wouldn't have qualified for use on the light rail line. It was also only $25 million, which would have covered less than a half mile of light rail.

I agree that the street car is kind of pointless, but the options were pretty much just take the money and build streetcar or get no money at all.

The streetcar wouldn't be bad if it ran from Plaza-Midwood all the way across uptown, but that is 15+ years away from being realistic.
They could have redirected the use if they wanted to. That type of thing happens all the time. It was just a pet project for our former mayor.
If it is city money, sure they can. It wasn't. It was a federal grant. You can't take a federal grant designated for a specific type of project and use it on something else.

The city applied for a TIGER grant for the streetcar. It was awarded for the streetcar. There was actually talk at one point of not building the streetcar and the money was going to have to be given back. This was when people in Ballantyne were trying to break away from Charlotte and were trying to leverage that into no streetcar.

Now the city could have applied for a TIGER grant for some other kind of transit project, but they didn't and it is unlikely they would have gotten the grant if they did. There is only $500 million awarded in TIGER grants each year, and that doesn't go very far when you receive hundreds of applications and you are dividing it up among dozens of winning municipalities. Even if they could have redirected it to the LTR, that would have been enough money to extend the line from 7th street to 9th street. Maybe 11th street.

We are both in agreement that it probably isn't the best use of funding, but you have a misunderstanding of how the grants work. Personally, I would have preferred if they just didn't apply for the grant for the streetcar, but at this point it is what it is. I do agree that it was a pet project for Mayor Foxx. It was also politically motivated as the streetcar was promised to west side citizens in exchange for their support for the quarter cent transit tax put in place during the McCrory years.

Niner National

Unread post by Niner National » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:39 am

JTApps1 wrote:

What is the current plan for adding seats? I know the attendance doesn't warrant it, but having only 15,000 seats isn't going to cut it when you play team that have fan bases that travel well. Will CUSA even allow you to remain at that capacity for more than a few years during the transition? You could sell 10,000 tickets to our fans alone in 2018 if there were enough seats.
Our AD doesn't tell us anything.

With attendance falling around the country, I'd be okay if we only went to 20,000 or so. I'd like to see them mirror the home side, except have suites in the building instead of a 2nd press box obviously. I think it is clear that going to 40,000 would be pointless.

Fill in the gaps between the press box / suites and the concession structures with some seats and call it a day. If done right, this could probably get us to 20,000 and we'd still have a lot of space in the endzone concourse to add temporary seats if we have a game that requires 25,000+ seats.

For games bigger than that, BoA would likely be available. No reason to piss away big time money on a stadium that is too large. Other than Marshall and maybe ODU, I doubt any CUSA teams are really going to bring many fans.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:17 am

Much like App and UNCC fight each other too often when the real enemy in about 2.5 hours away from both our schools, the G5 conferences continue to fight the wrong enemy.

You don't have need to add any one to the SBC or CUSA, just draw a line between AL and MS and you've got two conferences that long-term are more viable.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:55 am

Niner National wrote: If it is city money, sure they can. It wasn't. It was a federal grant. You can't take a federal grant designated for a specific type of project and use it on something else.

The city applied for a TIGER grant for the streetcar. It was awarded for the streetcar. There was actually talk at one point of not building the streetcar and the money was going to have to be given back. This was when people in Ballantyne were trying to break away from Charlotte and were trying to leverage that into no streetcar.

Now the city could have applied for a TIGER grant for some other kind of transit project, but they didn't and it is unlikely they would have gotten the grant if they did. There is only $500 million awarded in TIGER grants each year, and that doesn't go very far when you receive hundreds of applications and you are dividing it up among dozens of winning municipalities. Even if they could have redirected it to the LTR, that would have been enough money to extend the line from 7th street to 9th street. Maybe 11th street.

We are both in agreement that it probably isn't the best use of funding, but you have a misunderstanding of how the grants work. Personally, I would have preferred if they just didn't apply for the grant for the streetcar, but at this point it is what it is. I do agree that it was a pet project for Mayor Foxx. It was also politically motivated as the streetcar was promised to west side citizens in exchange for their support for the quarter cent transit tax put in place during the McCrory years.
I was under the impression you could apply to have a grant re-purposed, but if not then yes they should have declined the grant. The 1st phase will still cost Charlotte $12 Million in construction and will be more expensive to operate per person than Light Rail... by more than double. I see the city has also applied for another $75 Million (50% of the cost) for the next phase which will cost at least $150 million. That $86 million could be used so much more wisely.

Charfan

Unread post by Charfan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:14 pm

Saint3333 wrote:

Much like App and UNCC fight each other too often when the real enemy in about 2.5 hours away from both our schools, the G5 conferences continue to fight the wrong enemy.

You don't have need to add any one to the SBC or CUSA, just draw a line between AL and MS and you've got two conferences that long-term are more viable.
I like that idea. Works for me. I could see myself driving to anywhere in that region for a big game. Chances I go to texas or LA are almost zero. Just can't justify that expense.

Getting tickets to the game at App in 19 is going to be tough. Hopefully I can swing it. I have a feeling our bigger doners will get the lions share of our allotment.

Stadium expansion??? Who the hell knows. As the previous poster stated, they like to keep everything hush hush for some reason.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”