Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Tab Hamilton Academically Ineligible, Done At App St

T-Dog

Tab Hamilton Academically Ineligible, Done At App St

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:46 pm

Mike of 247 just broke the news.

Gonzo
School: Appalachian State

Re: Tab Hamilton Academically Ineligible, Done At App St

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:05 pm

How many is that now from Capel's recruits? The guy just didn't realize that he wasn't at UNC anymore and these kids are going have to actually perform in the class room.

Tab had his moments behind the arc over the past few years, but I found myself cursing him more than celebrating him.

Out with the old and in with the new.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:17 pm

I did a blog about the turnover under Capel back at the tail end of last season.

http://www.yosefscabin.com/four-years-o ... e-players/

Here's last year's roster.

0 Mike Kobani F 6-8 250 Fr. Bodo City, Nigeria/High Point Christian
1 Tevin Baskin F 6-6 210 Sr. Stamford, Conn./Chipola College
2 Tab Hamilton G 6-3 180 Jr. Winston-Salem, N.C./Fishburne Military
3 Dustin Clarke G 6-3 165 RSo. Newland, N.C./Hartford
4 Michael Obacha F 6-8 215 So. Edo State, Nigeria/High Point Christian
10 Chris Burgess G 5-8 175 So. Lakeland, Fla./George Jenkins
12 Rantavious Gilbert F 6-8 235 So. Albany, Ga./Monroe
15 Tommy Spagnolo F 6-7 210 Sr. West Jefferson, N.C./Radford
21 Frank Eaves G 6-2 175 So. Greensboro, N.C./Page
23 Mike Neal G 6-2 185 Jr. Greensboro, N.C./Oak Ridge Military
25 Aaron Scott G 6-4 180 Fr. Columbia, S.C./Richland Northeast
32 Ty Toney G 6-2 185 Fr. Alpharetta, Ga./Alpharetta
34 Jacob Lawson F 6-8 220 Jr. Reidsville, N.C./Purdue
35 Jay Canty G/F 6-6 200 Jr. Jamestown, N.C./Xavier

Baskin graduated, Tab and Neal became academically ineligible, Canty "went pro", Scott got into trouble again and Toney went JuCo. Only 8 players from last year remain and one of them had to get a sixth year (Spag).

AtlantaMountaineer

Unread post by AtlantaMountaineer » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:33 pm

So how will this affect our APR problem and getting off probation for next year?

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:57 pm

I've been expecting this news about Hamilton. Coach Fox totally put his trust and faith in Hamilton during the summer to be the team's senior leader. I thought it had a chance to work, but Hamilton started the season on academic suspension. He's been off his game the few times he's played and has done little to help his team on the floor. In four games played he was shooting 25% from the floor and 22% from the arc. He was consistent; shooting 25 % from the free-throw line. He was an awful 1 for 8 from the floor on his home court v. Hofstra.

His play was a disappointment. The fact that he's not on track to graduate with his class is an even bigger disappointment. Hope he can get back to a 2.0 to transfer and get his four year degree.

The Capel "touch" is still doing its damage.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:04 pm

Is this a guy who was a decent student in HS and just quit the books in college or a guy who should not have been here in the first place. If he just quit when he got here I lay that on Capel. If he shouldn't have been here to begin with that is administration.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:12 pm

AtlantaMountaineer wrote:So how will this affect our APR problem and getting off probation for next year?
All indications are that we'll be fine for next year. APR is a year behind so the numbers that come out in the upcoming summer are for the 2013-14 year, which should be in the 970-range and get us post-season eligible. The year after that is looking more dicey at the moment.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:41 pm

bcoach wrote:Is this a guy who was a decent student in HS and just quit the books in college or a guy who should not have been here in the first place. If he just quit when he got here I lay that on Capel. If he shouldn't have been here to begin with that is administration.
#2 fell in love with the social life a bit once he reached a certain age.

Hamilton and Mike Neal never improved an ounce from one year to the next. Their talent may have even dwindled. The only time either looked like basketball players were when their shots were falling.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:43 pm

bcoach wrote:Is this a guy who was a decent student in HS and just quit the books in college or a guy who should not have been here in the first place. If he just quit when he got here I lay that on Capel. If he shouldn't have been here to begin with that is administration.
He came from a Prep school so I'm thinking he had grade problems before.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:53 pm

I was told earlier this year that at one point 11 of Capel's 13 scholarship players had to receive exemptions to get into school due to poor grades/test scores. Now I'm not sure which year it was, but clearly several of the recent loses to academic issues we included in that group.

Luckily it looks like Fox has ended that trend, and hopefully anyone left that came in on an exemption has made strides with their academics.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:05 pm

JTApps1 wrote:I was told earlier this year that at one point 11 of Capel's 13 scholarship players had to receive exemptions to get into school due to poor grades/test scores. Now I'm not sure which year it was, but clearly several of the recent loses to academic issues we included in that group.

Luckily it looks like Fox has ended that trend, and hopefully anyone left that came in on an exemption has made strides with their academics.
Well I will bet you can guess I love my ASU sports, BUT! If that is true then the administration needs to take a long hard look at the mission of the university. A coach can not get a player in that the administration will not accept. So in reality it looks like our problem is not with Capel but with the administration. Now what will never happen but I would like to see, is a world where if you can't get in as a student, well you just can't get in.

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:26 pm

Met Tab a couple of times and he is an awesome guy. Unfortunate for him that things ended like this. I wish him the best.

From a basketball sense, you lose a 3 point threat with him and certainly his senior leadership is gone as well, but his departure opens up more time for guys like Dustin Clarke (Who has played really well thus far) as wells as two of our freshmen Babic and Goesling. All 3 of those guys are important to the next several years of our program so any additional minutes they can get will only help them.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:43 am

STUDENT athlete is more important that ATHLETIC athlete. Just my honest opionion.

Hate it for him, but if you get FREE $$$$ from the likes of people on this board and other App State grads, you need to maintain halfway good grades too.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

Niner National
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Niner National » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:10 am

Gonzo wrote:How many is that now from Capel's recruits? The guy just didn't realize that he wasn't at UNC anymore and these kids are going have to actually perform in the class room.

Tab had his moments behind the arc over the past few years, but I found myself cursing him more than celebrating him.

Out with the old and in with the new.
:lol:

I doubt you guys will have these issues going forward with Fox. He may take a risk on occasion for the right athlete, but I cannot imagine him ever loading up with a team full of guys that will be a risk in the classroom.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:24 am

Tab for his career was a 38% FG shooter and 34% 3-pt shooter out of conference play.

3-pt shooting went down in conference play to 32%

913 career points, after 900 his first three years. Could easily have been a 1,000 pt scorer, and potentially a top 20 scorer in program history, mainly just by sheer volume.

Could have been a top 10 career 3 pointers made, once again just by volume.

Had a chance, albeit an outside chance, to possibly make APP HOF if he would have attained those easy goals.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:25 am

bcoach wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:I was told earlier this year that at one point 11 of Capel's 13 scholarship players had to receive exemptions to get into school due to poor grades/test scores. Now I'm not sure which year it was, but clearly several of the recent loses to academic issues we included in that group.

Well I will bet you can guess I love my ASU sports, BUT! If that is true then the administration needs to take a long hard look at the mission of the university. A coach can not get a player in that the administration will not accept. So in reality it looks like our problem is not with Capel but with the administration. Now what will never happen but I would like to see, is a world where if you can't get in as a student, well you just can't get in.
You can thank Cobb for doing everything possible to make his terrible hire try to succeed. So yes the administration was just as much at fault as Capel, but of course he should have had better standards for his program as well.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:53 am

JTApps1 wrote:
bcoach wrote:

You can thank Cobb for doing everything possible to make his terrible hire try to succeed. So yes the administration was just as much at fault as Capel, but of course he should have had better standards for his program as well.
Yes that is very true but the problem would also go higher than Cobb. Someone higher than him would have to ok admission. With that said in no way am I or would I defend either one of them.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:47 pm

Early in Cobb's tenure, there was an established athletic department policy in the student-athlete handbook strictly limiting the number of exemptions that could be granted and approved. Cobb apparently decided to waive his own policy for Capel; and no one in general administration or admissions overruled him. Thanks a helluva lot Charlie for the fine student-athletes you let in by a whisker. They are, or soon will be, back home playing pick-up games at the Y.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:16 pm

asu66 wrote:Early in Cobb's tenure, there was an established athletic department policy in the student-athlete handbook strictly limiting the number of exemptions that could be granted and approved. Cobb apparently decided to waive his own policy for Capel; and no one in general administration or admissions overruled him. Thanks a helluva lot Charlie for the fine student-athletes you let in by a whisker. They are, or soon will be, back home playing pick-up games at the Y.
I absolutely agree with what you are saying but shame on administration and admissions for giving him the ability. Let's face it. No coach or AD ever lost their job for academic reasons. They lose jobs over wins and losses. They should have no say in the requirements for admission to begin with. There should be a very strict requirement for accepting an exemption and it should have nothing to do with how good they may be at their sport. In other words " he/she is so good we just have to find a way" should not be a factor. It should only be considered for an athlete who we think can excel in the classroom with the right help and guidance. It should not be he/she is a great athlete and we think we can keep them eligible some how. These people take spots away from deserving students.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:57 pm

AppState89 wrote:STUDENT athlete is more important that ATHLETIC athlete. Just my honest opionion.

Hate it for him, but if you get FREE $$$$ from the likes of people on this board and other App State grads, you need to maintain halfway good grades too.
Not to pile on, but my freshman daughter and myself took out some large loans and some of that loan is for mandatory student fees to pay for his scholarship. My daughter and I will be paying that for years. His slice of that may be rather small but it is more than zero if I understand where the fees students pays essentially goes.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”