App Basketball picks up Mercer Transfer

firemoose
School: Appalachian State

App Basketball picks up Mercer Transfer

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:48 pm

CG John Mosser (6' 5" 210) of Green Hope High School in Cary, NC/Mercer University has transferred to App State. Story from appstatesports.com linked below along with his High School MaxPreps profile and a couple of youtube videos from his HS days. He will not be able to play this season but can practice with the team and will be eligible to play this fall. He's been added to the website and is listed as a Sophomore.

http://www.appstatesports.com/ViewArtic ... =209847147

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/john-mo ... -stats.htm

Last edited by firemoose on Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asu66

Re: App Basketball picks up Mercer Transfer

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:47 pm

Fox has added another big combo guard to pair with Jake Babic. This kid becomes another immediate APR insurance policy. He is a recognized North Carolina Scholar.

I continue to be amazed at the number of guards on the roster--with two signed for next season, this transfer and eight returnees. Eleven guards? That'll never happen. Methinks there will have to be some out-going transfers at the end of the current academic year.

Fox is still trying to find a scholar/sharpshooter who can come off the bench and get a basket when we desperately need one. And we have a lot of those game situations when seemingly on one can score; all-too-often, not even uncontested layups.

http://www.mercerbears.com/sports/mbkb/ ... _john_r68u
Last edited by asu66 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

ASUGoose

Unread post by ASUGoose » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:18 pm

firemoose wrote:CG John Mosser (6' 5" 210) of Green Hope High School in Apex, NC/Mercer University has transferred to App State. Story from appstatesports.com linked below along with his High School MaxPreps profile and a couple of youtube videos from his HS days. He will not be able to play this season but can practice with the team and will be eligible to play this fall. He's been added to the website and is listed as a Sophomore.

Sorry - don't mean to nitpick, but Green Hope High is located in Cary, NC. :)

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:27 pm

Fox wants a team where four guys on the court can shoot the ball well from three inward. Sometimes we have five guys out there would couldn't hit a water if they fell out of a boat.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:57 pm

Well, at least we can say that one guy on our team has been to the NCAA Tournament and beaten Duke. :)

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:08 pm

I'm hoping he can contribute next year, but A little worried that he has barely played for Mercer. It would be interesting to know the details on why he is transferring.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:25 pm

ASUGoose wrote:
firemoose wrote:CG John Mosser (6' 5" 210) of Green Hope High School in Apex, NC/Mercer University has transferred to App State. Story from appstatesports.com linked below along with his High School MaxPreps profile and a couple of youtube videos from his HS days. He will not be able to play this season but can practice with the team and will be eligible to play this fall. He's been added to the website and is listed as a Sophomore.

Sorry - don't mean to nitpick, but Green Hope High is located in Cary, NC. :)
Whoops. I was working on something else that had Apex in it at the time this came out and I typed it instead of Cary. I fixed it. :oops:

Got about 15 tabs opened in 3 browsers. Things are a little busy right now.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:18 pm

Read elsewhere that he is coming as a walk on.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:40 am

JTApps1 wrote:I'm hoping he can contribute next year, but A little worried that he has barely played for Mercer. It would be interesting to know the details on why he is transferring.
Your concern is legit. He barely played last year as a freshman (averaged 2 minutes per game in just 9 games). He started this season playing only 3 minutes in a blowout 40 point win over D-III Piedmont College. He recorded 1 missed shot, 1 rebound and 1 assist. He hasn't been in a a game since. That's how he can sit out the remainder of this season and still be a sophomore next season.

Coach Fox mentioned in the Appalachian IMG network radio show last night that he'd known and had conversation with Mosser for "some time." He said he liked the fact that he'd played on the Mercer NCAA tourney team and that having someone on the roster who'd had some experience playing with a conference champion and had been to the "Dance" could provide some strong leadership. He said Mosser's primary reason for transferring was to be closer to home. I really don't think he's a candidate for much PT. He's a scholar-athlete. Just think APR!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:41 am

hapapp wrote:Read elsewhere that he is coming as a walk on.
Makes more sense. As Chuck said he is a APR/GPA booster and probably a good teammate.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:59 am

Been watching college hoops, sports in general for a long time. Never knew what this APR thing was until last year when it bit us in the butt. Looks like a program has to REALLY screw up to let that be an issue. Obviously that was the case with App. Kind of explains why schools like UNC have 5 white kids on the end of the bench who rarely play. LOL

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:40 am

idk much about this player admittedly, but whether or not he plays a ton next season, you can't ever have enough 6-5 wing players. I'd say true wing players is our biggest weakness right now. Babic is definitely a two (even though he's 6-4, 6-5) and even though Clarke plays the three, I think he better projects as a two. We need more true small forward type players. 6-5 is a good size for that. He'll play behind Babic, Clarke and Shabazz next season for what minutes he does receive.

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:27 pm

asu66 wrote:Fox has added another big combo guard to pair with Jake Babic. This kid becomes another immediate APR insurance policy. He is a recognized North Carolina Scholar.

I continue to be amazed at the number of guards on the roster--with two signed for next season, this transfer and eight returnees. Eleven guards? That'll never happen. Methinks there will have to be some out-going transfers at the end of the current academic year.

Fox is still trying to find a scholar/sharpshooter who can come off the bench and get a basket when we desperately need one. And we have a lot of those game situations when seemingly on one can score; all-too-often, not even uncontested layups.

http://www.mercerbears.com/sports/mbkb/ ... _john_r68u
From what I can remember, this APPears to be his philosophy as dictated by his background. Davidson has been competitive for years with 3-4 people who can shoot and 1 pounder. While 11 guards is a lot....their length and their scoring ability will serve us well with his coaching philosophy.

IMO
Go APPS!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”