@ USA

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

@ USA

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:21 pm

Women get a win at USA in basketball. 67-63. Men coming up next.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Saint3333

Re: @ USA

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:14 pm

Down 9 shooting 36%. This would be a bad loss.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:43 pm

Saint3333 wrote:Down 9 shooting 36%. This would be a bad loss.
Down 15 at the half to a poor USA team. Btw A State is down 15 at home at the half to Ga Southern. Short of the great comeback, that win doesn't look as good. Hopefully, we can repeat that tonight.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:43 pm

Between two of the worst shooting teams in the conference, the final was 104-95 as the Apps fall. I think that scoreline says it all. USA shot 61.2%.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:48 pm

Defense has collapsed last two outings.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:51 pm

hapapp wrote:Defense has collapsed last two outings.
Defense was fine for the most part on Monday. Held ULL under their average. Offense was lacking then. Tonight was the complete opposite.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:17 am

T-Dog wrote:
Defense was fine for the most part on Monday. Held ULL under their average. Offense was lacking then. Tonight was the complete opposite.
Good point. Saturday we are at UALR, winless in the SBC. We need to win that game to avoid falling to the cellar. Three of our first four games have been on the road, but also against three of the worst teams in the league. Ark State, USA, UALR, and App are the teams in the SBC with overall losing records.

If you take a gander at the SBC stats, we are situated pretty much where we are statistically. We are basically at the bottom of most every statistical category. To be fair, Coach Fox is really at a disadvantage talent wise compared to his competition. I think what has allowed us to be in many/most of our games this year is the sheer grit that this team displays. That's a credit to both the staff and the players.

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/custompage ... nfldrs.htm

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:16 am

hapapp wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
Good point. Saturday we are at UALR, winless in the SBC. We need to win that game to avoid falling to the cellar. Three of our first four games have been on the road, but also against three of the worst teams in the league. Ark State, USA, UALR, and App are the teams in the SBC with overall losing records.

If you take a gander at the SBC stats, we are situated pretty much where we are statistically. We are basically at the bottom of most every statistical category. To be fair, Coach Fox is really at a disadvantage talent wise compared to his competition. I think what has allowed us to be in many/most of our games this year is the sheer grit that this team displays. That's a credit to both the staff and the players.

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/custompage ... nfldrs.htm
Completely agree. Can you imagine if Capel was still coaching this team?? These games would be 30-40 point blow-outs! I really like what I'm seeing from Coach Fox and believe if we can keep him for 3+ years he could have a great program that our students and alumni enjoy going and watching each week. It's tough to get up the mountain for these games, but I'm going to my first home game in 20 years! Let's get out and support this team with butts in seats!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:23 am

Going into this season we knew going .500 in conference would be a stretch. While this is a bad loss, any conference road win would be a good win this year.

If we can steal a couple more road games, go 6-4 at home and finish conference play 9-11 that would be a good season this year. Right now I'd project 7-13 in conference.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:50 am

On a side note I was talking with John Fitch (former Cremmins player for those that don't know John) the other night at one of his games and we talked about Fox. He is very enthused about Fox and what he will do at App.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:24 am

T-Dog wrote:
Defense still gave up nearly 52% FG on Monday against ULL. You are going to lose those games most of the time

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:55 am

bigCasu wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
Defense still gave up nearly 52% FG on Monday against ULL. You are going to lose those games most of the time
Agree. Tempo is what kept the score down on Monday, not any great defensive effort on our part. Every game this team plays is a learning opportunity. With an influx of talent we will be fun to watch next season.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:06 pm

We simply don't have the horses to suit up and ride against most D-I teams. We're gonna occasionally get decent offense and defense on the same game day--and push an Alabama to the limits; then we're gonna stink up the place with a bad Ohio or USA team.

Next fall ('15), hopefully Fox's two signed frosh guards will improve our overall shooting percentages. The following fall ('16), Fox'll be replacing Burgess, Clarke, Eaves, Gilbert, Lawson and Obacha. Those are six scholarships for which we will have netted slim four-year gains on investment, if present trends continue.

I like the future possibilities--but we have to endure a lot of yo-yo-like highs and lows before the good times take over.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:33 pm

asu66 wrote:We simply don't have the horses to suit up and ride against most D-I teams. We're gonna occasionally get decent offense and defense on the same game day--and push an Alabama to the limits; then we're gonna stink up the place with a bad Ohio or USA team.

Next fall ('15), hopefully Fox's two signed frosh guards will improve our overall shooting percentages. The following fall ('16), Fox'll be replacing Burgess, Clarke, Eaves, Gilbert, Lawson and Obacha. Those are six scholarships for which we will have netted slim four-year gains on investment, if present trends continue.

I like the future possibilities--but we have to endure a lot of yo-yo-like highs and lows before the good times take over.
Are you saying 3 years?

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:11 pm

bcoach wrote:
asu66 wrote:We simply don't have the horses to suit up and ride against most D-I teams. We're gonna occasionally get decent offense and defense on the same game day--and push an Alabama to the limits; then we're gonna stink up the place with a bad Ohio or USA team.

Are you saying 3 years?
Two years in the most hopeful scenario I can imagine. We can toss this year ('14-'15) out already. We're ineligible for the post-season; and we're gonna absorb some body blows from several SunBelt teams--including GaSouth (who has a two-year rebuilding head-start on us.) Next season ('15-'16), we lose our best and most consistent player--Spagnolo. We replace him with two untested guards. So, how far do you think a ten (10) guard roster can carry us next season? No, ten isn't a mis-print! The following year ('16-'17), we replace 46% (six players) of the entire scholarship player roster--mostly post players unless Fox decides to award grants to one or more of our current walk-ons. How good will these six (?) new recruits be and how soon will they make a difference on the court? We can't accurately predict that! In a worst case scenario, it could be '17-'18 before we're a huge threat! That's a four-year wait.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:33 pm

asu66 wrote:
bcoach wrote:

Are you saying 3 years?
Two years in the most hopeful scenario I can imagine. We can toss this year ('14-'15) out already. We're ineligible for the post-season; and we're gonna absorb some body blows from several SunBelt teams--including GaSouth (who has a two-year rebuilding head-start on us.) Next season ('15-'16), we lose our best and most consistent player--Spagnolo. We replace him with two untested guards. So, how far do you think a ten (10) guard roster can carry us next season? No, ten isn't a mis-print! The following year ('16-'17), we replace 46% (six players) of the entire scholarship player roster--mostly post players unless Fox decides to award grants to one or more of our current walk-ons. How good will these six (?) new recruits be and how soon will they make a difference on the court? We can't accurately predict that! In a worst case scenario, it could be '17-'18 before we're a huge threat! That's a four-year wait.
Thanks. I have not seen them play the last two years so I just had no idea where we were at.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:38 pm

asu66 wrote:
bcoach wrote:

Are you saying 3 years?
Pretty much agree with your assessment but the good news is that in basketball with only 5 on the court at a time 1 or 2 good additions can make a world of difference, unlike football. If Fox can just get 2 or 3 really good recruits, especially some with a little size (not easy for a G-5) then the process can speed considerably. Remember he took over a complete dumpster fire of a program but at least the hold over players are showing some guts and grit.

Rick0714

Unread post by Rick0714 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:03 pm

I agree with most assessments here and it appears that Fox is giving a majority of the minutes to the freshman posts (outside of Spags). Obacha played 10, Lawson 9, Kobani & Gilbert 0. Their, USA's, post players hurt us (17,19,11 pts 21 some rb's). IMHO I think we need to give some more minutes to these guys. I know they are not the most offensive productive, but the defense is lacking. If they are not earning it, that's one thing, but you know Obacha works as hard as anyone. I understand building the freshmen, but, for instance, Gilbert was going to transfer and was talked into staying and now he's holding a chair to the ground. Gotta think we'll lose a one or two to transfer next season and, as stated earlier, with all the guards on the roster, we'll be paper thin up front. Only so minutes to go around though. Gonna be a process for a few years, but I just hope we can remain somewhat competitive.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:25 pm

Rick0714 wrote:I agree with most assessments here and it appears that Fox is giving a majority of the minutes to the freshman posts (outside of Spags). Obacha played 10, Lawson 9, Kobani & Gilbert 0. Their, USA's, post players hurt us (17,19,11 pts 21 some rb's). IMHO I think we need to give some more minutes to these guys. I know they are not the most offensive productive, but the defense is lacking. If they are not earning it, that's one thing, but you know Obacha works as hard as anyone. I understand building the freshmen, but, for instance, Gilbert was going to transfer and was talked into staying and now he's holding a chair to the ground. Gotta think we'll lose a one or two to transfer next season and, as stated earlier, with all the guards on the roster, we'll be paper thin up front. Only so minutes to go around though. Gonna be a process for a few years, but I just hope we can remain somewhat competitive.

Where could Gilbert go and get playing time?

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:27 pm

Rick0714 wrote:...with all the guards on the roster...
Clarification...I didn't intend for my comment about "a ten guard roster" to be a negative criticism of Coach Fox. I believe he signed all of those PWOs late last spring to be insurance on our APR issues. Not only does Fox have to get us out of the losing "rut" that we're in, but he also has to get an academic train wreck back on track. He signed some kids who in addition to being serious scholars in the classroom, can also provide some backup help in spot situations. He got bullet fast speed in Jackson and Sanders; a pure shooter in Hodson; and an all-over-the-court hustler in Goesling. In addition to the PWOs, He awarded a late scholarship to a potential future star in Babic. Babic can play well in four of the five on-court positions. He was a huge "FIND."

Fox doesn't have to worry about those five kids skipping classes or getting caught up in the off-campus party circuit. And depending on certain game situations, any one of them might step up and help pull out a win here or there. Fox knows those guys are also going to maintain high GPAs and make certain progress toward graduation. That's player leadership that every team needs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”