Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ASU @ Texas State Sat. 1.24 5:30 PM ET San Marcos, TX

asu66
School: Appalachian State

Re: ASU @ Texas State Sat. 1.24 5:30 PM ET San Marcos, TX

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:31 am

appvette wrote:I don't see Fox lasting four years here.
Fox has to put together some 20 win seasons, win a title and a trip to the NCAA tourney before he goes anywhere. If he wins and if we address his salary aggressively, he may surprise us by how long he stays. Remember, his mentor is Bob McKillop. McKillop has rejected offer after offer after offer to leave Davidson. He's just very comfortable there and plans to retire there someday. Fox may wait it out to follow McKillop.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:03 am

I could be wrong but I do not see that hAPPening. The man is 20 games into a career. Next year after the SB coaches get his system things might change....then again next year will be his first full year recruiting class.

I am just gonna live in the moment....we found him and gave him a chance. There will be others and we will have begun building a tradition again. There will be too much pressure not to get the next hire right!

But until then...I am a Fox man.....ride on!
Go APPS!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:46 am

He could last four years but someone will likely take him away from us. You can write that on the wall, so to speak.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:52 am

I got to speak to Coach Fox for about 5 minutes during halftime of the ladies game Thursday. He is as genuine as it comes. A true "good guy". His impact on our team in his 1st year has been striking.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:56 am

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:35 am

We are seeing it happen more and more in college basketball these days where a coach stays at his school for a long time. Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens ( yes I know he left for NBA), McKillop, Rick Byrd, etc. I think he'll be loyal at least for awhile.

Gnomeneer

Unread post by Gnomeneer » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:57 am

For a team picked last in the conference, and winning the way they have lately - especially if we can sweep The Stink, Coach of the Year would not be far fetched.
asu66 wrote:
appst89 wrote:Nice road win. Fox may well be the Sun Belt Coach of the Year.

I think Fox's main competition will be Mark Byington from GaSouth and perhaps Keith Richard at UL-M. Ron Hunter at GaState has seen his team slip; as has Bob Marlin at UL-L.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:54 pm

Including last night's win, the Apps face six road opponents in their next eight games and five of those teams are above us in the SBC standings. We will learn a great deal about this team in the coming three weeks. Keep in mind that three of our five SBC wins have come on the road.

Thursday will likely be a real challenge against league leading Ga Southern. Just like in football, they have a senior laden core in their first eight.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:15 pm

hapapp wrote:Including last night's win, the Apps face six road opponents in their next eight games and five of those teams are above us in the SBC standings. We will learn a great deal about this team in the coming three weeks. Keep in mind that three of our five SBC wins have come on the road.

Thursday will likely be a real challenge against league leading Ga Southern. Just like in football, they have a senior laden core in their first eight.
I'm just happy to be in a position to get ahead of myself. Feels good.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:23 pm

asutrnr81 wrote:
I could be wrong but I do not see that hAPPening. The man is 20 games into a career. Next year after the SB coaches get his system things might change....then again next year will be his first full year recruiting class.

I am just gonna live in the moment....we found him and gave him a chance. There will be others and we will have begun building a tradition again. There will be too much pressure not to get the next hire right!

I'm only 30 minutes from Davidson and there are several Davidson grads in a civic club I belong to. Word is that Coach Fox is the unofficial heir apparent to McKillop, analogous to what Coach Satterfield was for us.
Google SUX

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:34 pm

NewApp wrote:
asutrnr81 wrote:

I'm only 30 minutes from Davidson and there are several Davidson grads in a civic club I belong to. Word is that Coach Fox is the unofficial heir apparent to McKillop, analogous to what Coach Satterfield was for us.
I could see that happening. Again, it all depends on how he does here. There are several other McKillop disciples who have more head coaching experience than Fox and with the Cats being in the A10 now, they will likely attract a lot of quality applicants.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:35 pm

The crazy thing about the win was that App didn't touch down in Texas until 1 am ET Saturday due to delays and didn't get to the hotel until 2 am ET. Just over 15 hours later, they were tipping off.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:40 pm

hapapp wrote:
NewApp wrote:
asutrnr81 wrote:

I could see that happening. Again, it all depends on how he does here. There are several other McKillop disciples who have more head coaching experience than Fox and with the Cats being in the A10 now, they will likely attract a lot of quality applicants.
No doubt we had lots of quality prospects for Coach Moore's job, but the cream rose to the top in spite of the salary money that was available.
Google SUX

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:50 pm

If he's in position to go to Davidson, then App basketball will be in a very desirable position, as well. Enjoy the ride.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Gnomeneer

Unread post by Gnomeneer » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:58 pm

Why worry about the future if you can not enjoy the now?

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:36 pm

Gnomeneer wrote:Why worry about the future if you can not enjoy the now?
The thing is, to enjoy both. If we lose Fox due to his success here, another quality coach will follow.
Google SUX

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:54 pm

NewApp wrote:
asutrnr81 wrote:

That could make sense, but of course, the major difference is that SS didn't leave another HC spot to take the App job. Depending on how much longer McKillop coaches, Fox may be successful enough at App that either a) going to Davidson would be a lateral move or worse, and/or b) he has opportunities to move on to a bigger job than Davidson. Or, conversely, he could flop at App and not be such an appealing candidate for Davidson anymore. (Not that I think many of us expect that to happen, but of course, nothing's a given.)

Regardless, I personally am not losing any sleep thinking about this right now. Coach Fox is just starting out at App, might as well see what he can do here before figuring out where he'll go next.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:05 pm

I agree, I'm going to enjoy the next few years especially compared to the last few. Bright days are ahead. Beat the stink.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:42 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
NewApp wrote:
asutrnr81 wrote:

That could make sense, but of course, the major difference is that SS didn't leave another HC spot to take the App job. Depending on how much longer McKillop coaches, Fox may be successful enough at App that either a) going to Davidson would be a lateral move or worse, and/or b) he has opportunities to move on to a bigger job than Davidson. Or, conversely, he could flop at App and not be such an appealing candidate for Davidson anymore. (Not that I think many of us expect that to happen, but of course, nothing's a given.)

Regardless, I personally am not losing any sleep thinking about this right now. Coach Fox is just starting out at App, might as well see what he can do here before figuring out where he'll go next.
Which is what I was saying in my 6:26 PM post.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”