Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Recruiting, 2014

firemoose
School: Appalachian State

Re: Recruiting, 2014

Unread post by firemoose » Wed May 14, 2014 9:22 am

AppHoops wrote:Having a hard time keeping up with all this lol

So this kid is walking on? That's official right?
Nothing official has been said but I have a few calls out to ask. My guess was based on three reasons. We have three commits so far with at least one signed (some sites are saying Kinney also signed). We have Potter offered and coming in for a visit tomorrow. And this young man hasn't been playing basketball and was at State running track. I haven't seen anything posted saying "offer" but I'm betting he knew Coach Fox before, coming from Marvin Ridge. Ships are limited and could get more so depending on what happens with the grades. IF we get Potter that would be four commits (big IF with Winthrop in the mix). The numbers just don't add up unless Gilbert is gone and Spags doesn't get his hardship. Almost has to be a walk-on. Still trying to sort it all out. But honestly I would rather be in this situation than where we were a few short weeks ago, worrying whether we would have enough players to field a team.

24AppState

Unread post by 24AppState » Wed May 14, 2014 9:27 am

Anybody have any insight on Logan Jackson coming out of high school? Any rankings or Bball offers out of high school. Sounds like he was a legitimate 2 sport athlete. He may have had Bball offers but saw the track scholarship to NCSU as a better option at the time. I wonder if Fox and Davidson saw/recruited him for Bball but he chose track and NCSU instead.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed May 14, 2014 9:46 am

24AppState wrote:Anybody have any insight on Logan Jackson coming out of high school? Any rankings or Bball offers out of high school. Sounds like he was a legitimate 2 sport athlete. He may have had Bball offers but saw the track scholarship to NCSU as a better option at the time. I wonder if Fox and Davidson saw/recruited him for Bball but he chose track and NCSU instead.
As I said above no confirmation but I'm betting Coach Fox knew him with him playing at Marvin Ridge. I'm not seeing him listed on any of the big recruiting sites but that doesn't mean he wasn't there. Just not listed in the database anymore.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Wed May 14, 2014 10:17 am

24AppState wrote:Anybody have any insight on Logan Jackson coming out of high school? Any rankings or Bball offers out of high school. Sounds like he was a legitimate 2 sport athlete. He may have had Bball offers but saw the track scholarship to NCSU as a better option at the time. I wonder if Fox and Davidson saw/recruited him for Bball but he chose track and NCSU instead.
This type of thing has worked for us before. Kellen Brand was a scholarship caliber football player that came here because he wanted to play BBall and you can ask Curry what type of player he was esp. on the defensive end, I think Matt Jones had some offers in football as well and walked on here and game up 4 good years.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:57 am

Logan Jackson...neat feature story...

http://www.southcharlottesportsreport.c ... sue166.pdf
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Mon May 19, 2014 7:57 am

Kinney's paperwork is in so he's been moved to the "Signed" section on the Main Page. Kostic's should be in anytime but I'm leaving him in the "Committed" section until official word comes (he's done, just have to wait for everything to come in). Still waiting for word on Potter but we'll know his decision soon.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri May 23, 2014 11:44 am

Coach Fox was just on live on Mountain TV and said we had three freshmen signed and admitted to the University. Based on that I have moved PF Milos Kostic(6′ 8″ 225) of IMG Academy in Hammond, IN to the Signed section of the main page joining Kinney and Babic. As was said earlier it never appeared it was a basketball matter but just a paperwork and transcript matter. Just making sure App had everything we needed.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:13 pm

From twitter we have a new commit for 2014. PG Landon Goesling (6' 2" 170) of Coppell High School in Irving, TX. I will be updating the Main Page in a few minutes with a player page and video. I'm still gathering information on this. I believe I know how this is happening but I don't want to say until I'm sure.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:57 pm

MountainMan33 wrote:
firemoose wrote:From twitter we have a new commit for 2014. PG Landon Goesling (6' 2" 170) of Coppell High School in Irving, TX. I will be updating the Main Page in a few minutes with a player page and video. I'm still gathering information on this. I believe I know how this is happening but I don't want to say until I'm sure.
as a walk on or what? isn't it to late for a scholarship?
No. As long as they can can enroll for the upcoming semester then a coach can extend a scholarship, if available, at anytime. The signing period is for binding letters. After the period then the letter isn't a binding deal but a player can still sign. That is why we were watching Potter so closely.

As I put in the "Q & A with Coach Fox" thread I find it hard to believe that a player from TX would walk on here. I also have heard through sources that Neal is not taking classes this fall. Read into that what you will. I'm still trying to confirm Goesling's status and will let everyone know as soon as I hear but if he is a scholarship player then someone isn't coming back. Pretty sure I know who that would be but until it's official I can't say 100%.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:14 pm

All the sites show him as a PG. I'm going to be putting up a page in a few minutes and will list him as a point guard but I'm also putting the highlights up. When I get confirmation of the status I'll also ask position.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:20 pm

Main page is updated. Still finding out information but from what little I know it sounds like Goesling is still planning on signing a NLI even though the period is past (thanks Mike over at 24/7). Also sounds like it's not a full ride yet but he is getting help to come. Could be academic since 13 is an absolute number for D-I basketball. I'm guessing here but we know there are still questions to be answered about a couple of our players on the current roster (we already know that we are waiting for word from the NCAA on Spags and Neal is not exactly firm at the moment. Plus we've heard rumors about a couple of others but those have died down lately). I'm still digging but my guess is that once these issues are worked out then Goesling's status will get settled.

The Wheels On The Bus Go Round and Round..... ;)

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:04 pm

From twitter CG Dylan Hodson (6′ 3″ 175) of Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, VA has accepted a PWO offer from App. A player page with video has been added to the Main Page. His VerbalCommits and VAntageHoops profiles are linked below. Coach Fox is still pulling them in.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/dylan-hodson

http://www.vantagehoops.com/page/show/1 ... lan-hodson

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:26 am

looks like a pure shooter. I foresee Fox running set plays just to set screens for him. How many players do we have on the team for next year, at this point? Goesling, Jackson, and Hodson haven't been added to the roster on appstatesports.com. Of course, I suppose if they are walk-ons, it doesn't matter how many we have.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:53 am

firemoose wrote:From twitter CG Dylan Hodson (6′ 3″ 175) of Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, VA has accepted a PWO offer from App. A player page with video has been added to the Main Page. His VerbalCommits and VAntageHoops profiles are linked below. Coach Fox is still pulling them in.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/dylan-hodson

http://www.vantagehoops.com/page/show/1 ... lan-hodson
Anyone else see an extremely poor mans Steph Curry here? This kid can get a shot of at any time.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:42 pm

Here's a team pic from the Boone 4th of July parade last week. All the 2014 players are there. Only ones missing are Neal, Spag and Purgason. Gilbert is also there so he's staying for sure.

Last edited by T-Dog on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:35 pm

also missing Milos Kostic in the photo. He must not be on campus yet.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:25 am

app97 wrote:also missing Milos Kostic in the photo. He must not be on campus yet.
Everyone was in campus for the first five week term of summer school (May 27-June 27) except Neal and the two most recent recruits--Loesing and Hodson. The first five-week session is over and the second is just under way. None of the players is showing up yet in the online student directory for the July 3 - Aug. 6 five week session. Kostic was on campus for the first term. I've been told that everyone is there now except for maybe Neal. Not certain what Neal's status is, but Coach Fox has said that he's expected to play.

With all taken into account, Fox is apparently going to have a 16 player roster. Three will have to be walk-ons. If he has open tryouts after the fall term gets under way in August--the roster could grow again.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:18 am

asu66 wrote:
app97 wrote:also missing Milos Kostic in the photo. He must not be on campus yet.
Everyone was in campus for the first five week term of summer school (May 27-June 27) except Neal and the two most recent recruits--Loesing and Hodson. The first five-week session is over and the second is just under way. None of the players is showing up yet in the online student directory for the July 3 - Aug. 6 five week session. Kostic was on campus for the first term. I've been told that everyone is there now except for maybe Neal. Not certain what Neal's status is, but Coach Fox has said that he's expected to play.

With all taken into account, Fox is apparently going to have a 16 player roster. Three will have to be walk-ons. If he has open tryouts after the fall term gets under way in August--the roster could grow again.
I thought I heard Fox say yesterday that there were 3-4 walk ons.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:26 pm

Roster has been updated with the new walkons. No Neal so he's gone along with walk-on Purgason but he's still in school. Along with Goesling and Hodson is walk-on Jalen Sanders, a 5'10" 150 lb guard from Huntersville and South Lake Christian.

That makes 16 players. Last year's roster was 15.
Lost/Graduated: Scott, Toney, Neal, Canty, Purgason and Baskin. (6)
Gained: Kostic, Kinney, Babic, Jackson, Goesling, Hodson and Sanders. (7)
Returning: Burgess, Clark, Eaves, Gilbert, Hamilton, Lawson, Kobani, Obacha and Spagnolo. (9)
Last edited by T-Dog on Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:25 pm

T-Dog wrote:Roster has been updated with the new walkons. No Neal so he's gone along with walk-on Purgason but he's still in school. Along with Goesling and Hodson is walk-on Jalen Sanders, a 5'10" 150 lb guard from Huntersville and South Lake Christian.

That makes 16 players. Last year's roster was 15.
Lost: Scott, Toney, Neal, Canty, Purgason and Burgess. (6)
Gained: Kostic, Kinney, Babic, Jackson, Goesling, Hodson and Sanders. (7)
Returning: Burgess, Clark, Eaves, Gilbert, Hamilton, Lawson, Kobani, Obacha and Spagnolo. (9)
Why is Burgess listed twice? Is he lost or returning?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”