Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Alvin Gentry new NO Pelicans head coach!

scatman77

Alvin Gentry new NO Pelicans head coach!

Unread post by scatman77 » Sat May 30, 2015 7:04 pm

AG is the new coach in Nola! Good for him! Good North Carolina boy, from Shelby, and Mountaineer! Good luck Alvin!

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... next-coach
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

asu66
School: Appalachian State

Re: Alvin Gentry new NO Pelicans head coach!

Unread post by asu66 » Sun May 31, 2015 1:17 pm

scatman77 wrote:AG is the new coach in Nola! Good for him! Good North Carolina boy, from Shelby, and Mountaineer! Good luck Alvin!

Kudos to Alvin!

Who would have believed in 1974 that Alvin (coming from a four-year playing career at AppState) would far and away out-last, out-earn and out-class his "walk-on-the-world " first cousin, David Thompson, in both collegiate and NBA basketball? Thompson got caught up in the 70's drug culture and went from one rehab program to another. He acknowledges that he "blew" all of his chances to re-write the NBA records book. He threw it all away.

Alvin was smart enough to walk away from the drug scene; and to stay away. He made better choices for friends and for role models.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

StumpyCulbreath

Unread post by StumpyCulbreath » Sun May 31, 2015 2:00 pm

Congrats to Gentry; however, using his accomplishment to take a shot at Thompson seems a little low class.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Sun May 31, 2015 3:23 pm

asu66 wrote:
scatman77 wrote:AG is the new coach in Nola! Good for him! Good North Carolina boy, from Shelby, and Mountaineer! Good luck Alvin!

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... 00590/new-
orleans-pelicans-to-hire-alvin-gentry-as-next-coach

Kudos to Alvin!

Who would have believed in 1974 that Alvin (coming from a four-year playing career at AppState) would far and away out-last, out-earn and out-class his "walk-on-the-world " first cousin, David Thompson, in both collegiate and NBA basketball? Thompson got caught up in the 70's drug culture and went from one rehab program to another. He acknowledges that he "blew" all of his chances to re-write the NBA records book. He threw it all away.

Alvin was smart enough to walk away from the drug scene; and to stay away. He made better choices for friends and for role models.
He also had the fortitude to successfully navigate the Maravich-Bergman-Cremins coaching changes and remain successful!
Last edited by scatman77 on Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun May 31, 2015 5:58 pm

asu66 wrote:

Kudos to Alvin!

Its easy to tell other people how to deal with their personal problems. Its a lot harder to walk in their shoes and have all the pressure on you as a young man who is at the top of a league, signing the biggest contract in nba history in 78'. Its hard to know and understand who to trust when everyone around you wants your money and will tell you anything to get it.

This is a great shot for Gentry. The not so distant top center in the NBA. Lots od good/up and coming young talent (no one on the team is over 30). Now if he can convince them to swing Evans for a first round pick he could be in good business.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:34 pm

StumpyCulbreath wrote:Congrats to Gentry; however, using his accomplishment to take a shot at Thompson seems a little low class.
Sorry if you didn't care for the message. Nothing I can say will do DT any harm. Nor would I wish him any harm. I merely paraphrased truthful bios and auto-bios of the guy that are all over the 'net and in public libraries literally everywhere. DT, himself, is very up-front about it in his autobiography Skywalker. He doesn't hold anything back.

I will mention that he returned to State around ten years ago to complete his degree and is now trying to lead a more Christian life.

StumpyCulbreath

Unread post by StumpyCulbreath » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:19 pm

The fact that you brought it up in this post says more about you than it does Thompson. But now I understand; it was the Christian thing to do.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:15 pm

StumpyCulbreath wrote:The fact that you brought it up in this post says more about you than it does Thompson. But now I understand; it was the Christian thing to do.
It wasn't my intention to start a quarrel. I won't be drawn into one. In retrospect, I think we're both guilty of being judgmental of others.

Luke 6:37 “Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven..."

Congrats again to AG.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:40 am

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”