Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

If you were DG or Fox...

TheArmantiShow
School: Appalachian State

If you were DG or Fox...

Unread post by TheArmantiShow » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:07 am

Hey yall, brand new to the board so if this has been discussed ad nauseam I apologize.

So, if you were BG or Fox, what would you do to create a better basketball culture at App? I've batted around ideas but none really stood out to me.

appst89
Site Admin

Re: If you were DG or Fox...

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:27 am

TheArmantiShow wrote:Hey yall, brand new to the board so if this has been discussed ad nauseam I apologize.

So, if you were BG or Fox, what would you do to create a better basketball culture at App? I've batted around ideas but none really stood out to me.
Win.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:38 am

ditto

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:40 am

It's been discussed from time to time. From what I recall, the usual suggestions (besides winning more) include better promotions, targeting students more than locals, better home scheduling... and I'm blanking after that.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:02 pm

You can do all the coolest marketing, promos, etc. but unless you are the Chicago Cubs with a goat story, you aren't going to get consistent and sustained attendance/support until you start winning.

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:23 pm

I know it's impossible in our situation but I wish we were able to play in Varsity every now and again. I feel like being somewhat more centrally located on campus could help.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:28 pm

:P I honestly disagree with the winning is the only thing to put butts in seats argument. The first positive our program has is venue on campus, that's huge. Second the promotions department needs to get involved with student housing, because who has more unchecked school pride than freshman? Running competitions to see what dorm can get the most people there. It should be that hard. Little things like that could create a fun fan culture, and you show that to recruits winning will come.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:23 pm

Winning games is obviously the best thing.

Aside from that:

Students want a high energy atmosphere they can enjoy. Tailgating during Football season adds to that fun, which is why we always have such strong support from students during football season. Basketball doesn't really have tailgating, so the only draw is the game itself. The new videoboard will help make the games a little more engaging, with slow-mo replays and other shenanigans.

Promoting the games to students could also use some work. The primary way students find out about games (short of looking up the schedule) are small signs on Sanford Mall and an email in their inbox.

Alumni want fun, but also good matchups with teams they care about. We should be scheduling the likes of: JMU, Davidson, ECU, Wilmington and Charlotte. If we can get an ACC team in Holmes, that would also be great. We haven't been in the Sun Belt long enough to form basketball rivalries that many alums care about.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:03 pm

Close down all ski resorts, disable all UNC and Duke games from airing anywhere in Watauga County, change the climate in Boone to be favorable for those on campus that walk to games, shut down the football program, oh and win.

Do all those things and we might break the 5k average attendance.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:14 pm

SayYesToTheRock wrote:Winning games is obviously the best thing.

Aside from that:

Students want a high energy atmosphere they can enjoy. Tailgating during Football season adds to that fun, which is why we always have such strong support from students during football season. Basketball doesn't really have tailgating, so the only draw is the game itself. The new videoboard will help make the games a little more engaging, with slow-mo replays and other shenanigans.

Promoting the games to students could also use some work. The primary way students find out about games (short of looking up the schedule) are small signs on Sanford Mall and an email in their inbox.

Alumni want fun, but also good matchups with teams they care about. We should be scheduling the likes of: JMU, Davidson, ECU, Wilmington and Charlotte. If we can get an ACC team in Holmes, that would also be great. We haven't been in the Sun Belt long enough to form basketball rivalries that many alums care about.
Sorry but I have to chuckle here. Yeah... an ACC team in Holmes would be nice. Maybe Duke? UNC? Maybe dip into the Big East with Villanova?
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:19 pm

We got power conference teams into Varsity. There are other teams in the ACC besides Duke and UNC. Why couldn't someone like Clemson or Va. Tech be persuaded to visit?

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:11 pm

Georgia Tech women are playing in Holmes on Friday after our Thursday night game. Be careful about making disparaging words about WBB, they are close to my heart.
Last edited by huskie3 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bring Your A Game!

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:17 pm

Would you go see the Washington Nationals/Generals if they weren't playing the Globetrotters? I'm on the "win" bandwagon. Win and folks come.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:15 am

You have to show me the place that has good attendance without winning. When I see that then I will believe you can do it by means other than winning.

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:58 am

APPARJ wrote:Sorry but I have to chuckle here. Yeah... an ACC team in Holmes would be nice. Maybe Duke? UNC? Maybe dip into the Big East with Villanova?
Contrary to popular belief, there are teams in the ACC that are not located on Tobacco Road. Wake Forest, for example, played away at Richmond and UNC-G last season.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:53 am

SayYesToTheRock wrote:
APPARJ wrote:Sorry but I have to chuckle here. Yeah... an ACC team in Holmes would be nice. Maybe Duke? UNC? Maybe dip into the Big East with Villanova?
Contrary to popular belief, there are teams in the ACC that are not located on Tobacco Road. Wake Forest, for example, played away at Richmond and UNC-G last season.
And Richmond and UNC-G, for example, were 22-13 and 25-10 respectively.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:06 am

I still say you get teams in here that you have a shot at beating. You need wins at home if you want to build a following. Before someone starts I don't mean Div3. I am talking about teams on our level who we can compete with. Get some wins, and get the program built first. We moan and groan about the students wanting to watch unc instead of us and then we bring unc to our house? I guess I just don't get it.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:12 am

APPARJ wrote:
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
And Richmond and UNC-G, for example, were 22-13 and 25-10 respectively.
That was UNCG's first winning season in nearly a decade. Amazing foresight by Wake to schedule them in what turned out to be their breakout year.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:16 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:Close down all ski resorts, disable all UNC and Duke games from airing anywhere in Watauga County, change the climate in Boone to be favorable for those on campus that walk to games, shut down the football program, oh and win.

Do all those things and we might break the 5k average attendance.
Even though I attend a majority of the Men's games and am a big supporter of Fox...I'm absolutely guilty of bailing on basketball games when a good snow rolls in. You caught me :lol:

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:17 am

bcoach wrote:I still say you get teams in here that you have a shot at beating. You need wins at home if you want to build a following. Before someone starts I don't mean Div3. I am talking about teams on our level who we can compete with. Get some wins, and get the program built first. We moan and groan about the students wanting to watch unc instead of us and then we bring unc to our house? I guess I just don't get it.
Our home games last year included Montreat, Warren Wilson, Western Carolina, James Madison and Hampton. I'm not sure how opponents could get more beatable and still have a pulse.

UNC is not coming to Boone, so no need rehash that old debate. The point is scheduling teams people have actually heard of. Davidson coming in this year is a good start, as is the occasional UNCC game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”