Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Commitment No. 5, Mike Kobani

AppGrad78
School: Appalachian State

Commitment No. 5, Mike Kobani

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:41 pm

Don't ask me where the scholarship is coming from (because I have no clue), but three-star C Mike Kobani (6-7, 250) of High Point Christian in High Point has committed to Appalachian State, according to recruiting experts Dave Telep and Justin Byerly. Kobani, a Nigerian-born athlete who has played at several high schools before settling in High Point, drew interest from LaSalle, Old Dominion and most of the area D-I programs.

Highlights:

AppGrad78

Re: Commitment No. 5, Mike Kobani

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:33 am

WFMY-2 has posted signing day video of the three college signees from High Point Christian, including App State signee Mike Kobani. Kobani's segment starts around the 2:15 mark. (I'm hoping UNCW signee Chuck Ogbodo has a meaningful college experience, because he seems like a likable person. But I'm guessing that "family atmosphere" he talks about will start after his head coach leaves the program.)

http://www.digtriad.com/sports/article/ ... -Christian

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:48 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:WFMY-2 has posted signing day video of the three college signees from High Point Christian, including App State signee Mike Kobani. Kobani's segment starts around the 2:15 mark. (I'm hoping UNCW signee Chuck Ogbodo has a meaningful college experience, because he seems like a likable person. But I'm guessing that "family atmosphere" he talks about will start after his head coach leaves the program.)

http://www.digtriad.com/sports/article/ ... -Christian
Will you get the heck over it. Has Buzz had a bad professional record after leaving Tenn? Yes. Was the way he left App inconsiderate? Yea. Can you personally say that he is not family oriented?

Personally, I found the Petersons to be a lot more family oriented when they came back to Boone than when they left the first time.

You want to talk about leaving in the middle of the night, fine.

But saying that he is not family oriented is a personal shot and a step too far.

Trust me, I look at coach Peterson in a different light than when he left the first time. As for the man Buzz, he is still a good man that can get in over his head, but a good man and father none the less.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:38 pm

Grouch:

You and I simply disagree on this issue. I suppose on the narrowest of definitions, Buzz was/is a good family man. I have met his wife and children and as best as I can tell, he passes the smell test. (His girls seemed a bit undiciplined, but I'm guessing Nikki and MIke Krzyzewski had the same problem at one time or another.) My issue with Buzz is the way he dealt with his extended family at Appalachian State. There's this thing called honesty and loyalty. He had to know his second stint in Boone would be shorter than his commitment to us. Yet he played us. And the only reason he hasn't played the folks at UNCW is the ironclad contract they had the good sense to sign him to.

No. You'll have a hard time convincing me he's a good family man.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:31 pm

Grad:

I look at that as professional issues. As far as extended App family, he was a lot more active than Jason has been.

There is no question that he cared for his players and the university when he was here. He left the wrong way and no one is disputing that.

I was inside enough to know that he really shouldn't have taken the job in the first place. But he wanted to get back to coaching and does love App. The powers that really be painted him a picture to get him here in the first place.

The reason that he left was not quite as cut and dry as the fame and greed you make it out to be. But I will say that it was made with his family in mind.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

MountainMan

Unread post by MountainMan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:47 pm

Buzz is a lowlife. End of story. Move on.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:54 pm

The High Point Enterprise offers up a piece on Mike Kobani:

http://www.hpe.com/sports/highschool/x3 ... hian-State

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:46 pm

Buzz reaps what he sows. No defense for him.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:22 pm

According to a Twitter post by JACrecruiting, Mike Kobani of High Point Christian is having an exceptional game tonight against Isaiah Hicks of Oxford Webb. Hicks, by the way, is a 6-8 five-star forward who recently signed with UNC.

Says JACrecruiting: "Mike Kobani has absolutely shut down Isaiah Hicks. Kobani is a big, strong post that is a steal for Appalachian State."

Kobani's performance comes a week after being named tournament MVP in the Kreul Classic in Coral Springs, Fla.

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:39 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:Don't ask me where the scholarship is coming from (because I have no clue), but three-star C Mike Kobani (6-7, 250) of High Point Christian in High Point has committed to Appalachian State, according to recruiting experts Dave Telep and Justin Byerly. Kobani, a Nigerian-born athlete who has played at several high schools before settling in High Point, drew interest from LaSalle, Old Dominion and most of the area D-I programs.

Highlights:
Scholarship came open when 6-8 215 lb PF Marcus Bryan of Raleigh's Ravencroft HS decommitted about a month ago.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:54 pm

Saint3333 wrote:Buzz reaps what he sows. No defense for him.
If you knew the whole story you might not be so hard on him. Buzz didn't want to come back to ASU. He turned down 3 offers but Harrell and Deal kept pressuring him. Buzz put some ridiculous conditions on the table and they agreed. Cobb and Peacock had little to do with it. I know, I know you're mad because he said he wanted to build a program like Jerry Moore. He was TOLD to say that. Anyone who knows Buzz realized he wasn't going to stay. His wife hates Boone and she was the reason he left the first time. He has some deep big financial issues and had to make more money. Had he not left for UNCW he was going back to the Bobcats. You guys are mad at Buzz but you are the ones gullible enough to believe all that talk. My hope is Peacock has learned his lesson and will let Cobb make the next basketball hire. Not two guys with big checkbooks who love UNC basketball.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:18 pm

Kobani finished with 22 points and 12 rebounds tonight in High Point Christian's 65-52 win. Hicks had 12 points.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:35 am

Kgfish wrote:
If you knew the whole story you might not be so hard on him.

I think anyone who was on the MMB at the time knows the "whole story'. Nothing new here. App was stupid for bringing him back and Scuzz was just being Scuzz.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:53 am

He was told to say "I want put down roots here and build a program like Jerry Moore has done". I can believe he was told to say he was committed to the program, but Buzz laid it on real thick, too far for my taste. I really don't care about his finances those are choices he and his wife (who I don't care for) made.

He made his bed and I will never forget the lies he told. There is no excuse for it.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:55 am

AppGrad78 wrote:According to a Twitter post by JACrecruiting, Mike Kobani of High Point Christian is having an exceptional game tonight against Isaiah Hicks of Oxford Webb. Hicks, by the way, is a 6-8 five-star forward who recently signed with UNC.

Says JACrecruiting: "Mike Kobani has absolutely shut down Isaiah Hicks. Kobani is a big, strong post that is a steal for Appalachian State."

Kobani's performance comes a week after being named tournament MVP in the Kreul Classic in Coral Springs, Fla.
Sounds like a heck of a player, I hope he sticks with us.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:07 am

Kgfish wrote:
If you knew the whole story you might not be so hard on him. Buzz didn't want to come back to ASU. He turned down 3 offers but Harrell and Deal kept pressuring him. Buzz put some ridiculous conditions on the table and they agreed. Cobb and Peacock had little to do with it. I know, I know you're mad because he said he wanted to build a program like Jerry Moore. He was TOLD to say that. Anyone who knows Buzz realized he wasn't going to stay. His wife hates Boone and she was the reason he left the first time. He has some deep big financial issues and had to make more money. Had he not left for UNCW he was going back to the Bobcats. You guys are mad at Buzz but you are the ones gullible enough to believe all that talk. My hope is Peacock has learned his lesson and will let Cobb make the next basketball hire. Not two guys with big checkbooks who love UNC basketball.

The Chancellor and AD are where the buck stops in the Buzz fiasco. Perhaps job security came into play.
a.k.a JC0429

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:13 am

Kgfish wrote:

I think it is deplorable that Harrell and Deal were allowed in on the negotiations. Something doesn't smell right here. We have people paid to deal with hiring and firing...at the top. I know pressure is put on the administration in a lot of programs by donors and alumni, but I never heard of any who were in on negotiations.
a.k.a JC0429

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”