Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Light Rail to UNCC

ASUchipman

Re: Light Rail to UNCC

Unread post by ASUchipman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:51 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:25 am
This reminds me of the Nextdoor posts in my neighborhood.

Scary brown people, aahhh!!!
If you were replying to me I never mentioned color you did. You always throw off on UNCC but never hesitate to comment on every UNCC thread. I would also know a little about the crime in the area. I guess we all can’t be lawyers.

ASUchipman

Unread post by ASUchipman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:53 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:10 am
Here is one study though not conclusive suggests public transit did not have an effect on crime rates.

https://sites.duke.edu/urbaneconomics/?p=1215

There are some other studies online but that is all I have time for at the present. Other studies may tell a different story.
Yeah there’s absolutely no crime around the Transit Center in Charlotte.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:07 pm

ASUchipman wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:53 pm
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:10 am
Here is one study though not conclusive suggests public transit did not have an effect on crime rates.

https://sites.duke.edu/urbaneconomics/?p=1215

There are some other studies online but that is all I have time for at the present. Other studies may tell a different story.
Yeah there’s absolutely no crime around the Transit Center in Charlotte.
A great philosopher once said...
"You should just quit while you're behind." - Appst89

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:42 pm

ASUchipman wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:51 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:25 am
This reminds me of the Nextdoor posts in my neighborhood.

Scary brown people, aahhh!!!
If you were replying to me I never mentioned color you did. You always throw off on UNCC but never hesitate to comment on every UNCC thread. I would also know a little about the crime in the area. I guess we all can’t be lawyers.
I wasn’t trying to call you out, man. I’m sorry. Charlotte crime gets overstated.

The light rail is safe.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:44 pm

Most of the crime at the transit center involves G4S Special police beating poor people up and charging them with resisting a police officer. Otherwise just a few open containers and failure to pay fairs.

ASUchipman

Unread post by ASUchipman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:32 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:44 pm
Most of the crime at the transit center involves G4S Special police beating poor people up and charging them with resisting a police officer. Otherwise just a few open containers and failure to pay fairs.
https://www.wcnc.com/amp/article?sectio ... -520744601

Yeah just security guards beating up on poor people.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:56 pm

I wouldn’t send a 16-year-old to the transit center alone, but that article relies on mere charges to paint a scary picture to their suburban readership. Charlotte isn’t that dangerous of a place, even the transit center.

Like you said, man, I’d love to rip on UNCC and their free train as being a dangerous ghetto, but I just know better.
Last edited by Gonzo on Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:38 pm

What is G4S, as in what do the letters and number mean, or is it just a private security force?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:46 pm

It’s a privately owned, deputized security force. I think it’s pronounced “G-force.”

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:11 pm

The Charlotte-based media do have a habit of skewing things based on location. If a triple homicide happens in Charlotte, it's no big deal if it happens in certain neighborhoods. If an App students gets lost in the woods for 2 hours, ledes start with "a small mountain community was rocked by tragedy today as..." If someone from Yancey County lights a building on fire, a Charlotte headline might read "primitive mountain man discovers fire."

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:37 pm

"private owned and deputized" should never have to be used in the same sentence. Such is life in corporate America.

After I posted the question I found some information on the internet. I did not think to search Google until I hit send on my question. And yes, I have been cruising the internet since the 1988 when I was using a VT-52 terminal in the physics department.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:09 am

T-Dog wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:11 pm
The Charlotte-based media do have a habit of skewing things based on location. If a triple homicide happens in Charlotte, it's no big deal if it happens in certain neighborhoods. If an App students gets lost in the woods for 2 hours, ledes start with "a small mountain community was rocked by tragedy today as..." If someone from Yancey County lights a building on fire, a Charlotte headline might read "primitive mountain man discovers fire."
I agree with you on this. On the occasions I have watched news on the CLT stations it has always seemed as though any crime that happens in Catawba County is highly newsworthy. Viewers that don't know better might assume Mecklenburg County is nearly crime free.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:25 pm

CVAPP wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:09 am
T-Dog wrote:
I agree with you on this. On the occasions I have watched news on the CLT stations it has always seemed as though any crime that happens in Catawba County is highly newsworthy. Viewers that don't know better might assume Mecklenburg County is nearly crime free.
Really? Not my experience as a Charlotte resident. We usually get 10 minutes of Charlotte crime stores every evening before we get to anything else. I don't think they would cherry pick crime in surrounding counties to report over Mecklenburg crimes, if that's what you are implying.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:35 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:25 pm
CVAPP wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
Really? Not my experience as a Charlotte resident. We usually get 10 minutes of Charlotte crime stores every evening before we get to anything else. I don't think they would cherry pick crime in surrounding counties to report over Mecklenburg crimes, if that's what you are implying.
Yes, that is what I was implying but obviously I don't speak for T-Dog.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:30 am

CVAPP wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:35 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:25 pm
CVAPP wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
Yes, that is what I was implying but obviously I don't speak for T-Dog.
Probably depends on the station. Most report the same news, one may report differently.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:00 am

Gonzo wrote:
Do you actually believe that? If so, it's from listening to your criminal clients all day and believing their versions. If you listen to criminals...they are all innocent. Hopefully you were being facetious.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:29 pm

NewApp wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:00 am
Gonzo wrote:
Do you actually believe that? If so, it's from listening to your criminal clients all day and believing their versions. If you listen to criminals...they are all innocent. Hopefully you were being facetious.
Do you actually believe that? If so, it's from listening to your police officers and private forces that are deputized and believing their versions. If you listen to police offices...they are all innocent of excessive force and planting evidence and setting people up for arrest. Hopefully you were being facetious.

The fact the court are throwing the cases out should tell you something. I don't know many judges that don't side with the police force without much in the way of questioning and need overwhelming evidence. The fact the judges are tossing these cases is very telling. And if it a case of this much crime there really should be real police officers and not private security in these locations.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:38 pm

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:29 pm
NewApp wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:00 am
Gonzo wrote:
Do you actually believe that? If so, it's from listening to your police officers and private forces that are deputized and believing their versions. If you listen to police offices...they are all innocent of excessive force and planting evidence and setting people up for arrest. Hopefully you were being facetious.

The fact the court are throwing the cases out should tell you something. I don't know many judges that don't side with the police force without much in the way of questioning and need overwhelming evidence. The fact the judges are tossing these cases is very telling. And if it a case of this much crime there really should be real police officers and not private security in these locations.
Do you both actually believe your perspective moanings? I'm a paranoid blahblahblahptsdblahveteranblahlibertarianblah and am more moderate in my beliefs. Maybe it's because I actually attend weekly therapy session, while other folks that need it don't due to the stigma. ha. I would know nothing about the stigma.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:01 pm

I know it is somewhere in between. I am sure those places are not 100% crime free, but to think that police and in this case private for-profit officers do not do things to get folks behind bars that do not deserve to be behind bars is a bit more than just a bit naive.

On a side note, just a few weeks ago or less I gave a thumbs up to NewApp when he mentioned mental health issues; I think it related to an NFL player or ex-player.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:10 pm

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:01 pm
I know it is somewhere in between. I am sure those places are not 100% crime free, but to think that police and in this case private for-profit officers do not do things to get folks behind bars that do not deserve to be behind bars is a bit more than just a bit naive.

On a side note, just a few weeks ago or less I gave a thumbs up to NewApp when he mentioned mental health issues; I think it related to an NFL player or ex-player.
That blows my mind. I knew the prisons were for profit, but didn't know about these Merkan Blackwater groups..... heebie geebies.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”