Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Wounded Warriors in the infield

AppStateNews
School: Appalachian State

Wounded Warriors in the infield

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed May 23, 2018 11:02 pm

All,

This isn't the normal type of post I would make here, but this is a cause that is important to me. Every year, for the last 9 years a group of us has brought in Wounded Warriors and their families to watch the races Memorial Day weekend. We provide their passes, food, beer, camp site, and a priceless amount of fun. This is a weekend every single one of them have said helps during their healing process. It gives them a well needed weekend away from it all! This year, for various reasons (mainly more warriors and family members than normal coming) we are short of funds.

If you can, please donate to this cause by using the GoFundMe link. If you do not have the means to donate, please share the link below. Anything helps!

https://www.gofundme.com/wounded-warrio ... he-infield
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

appmaj

Re: Wounded Warriors in the infield

Unread post by appmaj » Thu May 24, 2018 5:35 am

Spent some time with this group at the race a couple of years ago. Great group with a great cause.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu May 24, 2018 9:18 am

Can you not find a photo that doesn't include a racist flag flying in it? Are you only helping white wounded warriors?

I'm sorry but that photo really set me off.

AppstateKayaker

Unread post by AppstateKayaker » Thu May 24, 2018 10:27 am

Triggered much?

I don't think that flag even belongs to this organization.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu May 24, 2018 11:09 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:18 am
Can you not find a photo that doesn't include a racist flag flying in it? Are you only helping white wounded warriors?

As I responded on Twitter..

1) That is not our flag. It is the infield of a NASCAR race. There are going to be people with differing views in there. But again, that is not our flag. That is the only picture I had with the sign in it. I had others asking me to provide proof it is actually for this cause and that sign is the best proof I could find.

2) If you look through the other pictures, you will see multiple races enjoying lunch with their families -- so no, we are not only helping white Wounded Warriors.

Our only stipulations on bringing these heroes into the infield is they are part of the Wounded Warrior Project and they want to be there. We have record numbers coming this year and are short on funds -- hence the need for a GoFundMe.

I apologize if a picture offends you, but let's please look past a picture of someone else's flag and bring this discussion back to the point. These men and women that have been wounded protecting our freedoms, and their families, deserve a weekend away from it all for some much needed fun!

EDIT: I did go ahead and crop out the flag. I didn't even notice the flag until it was pointed out to me so apologies. I guess I was just looking at the bigger picture for the cause instead.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu May 24, 2018 12:56 pm

AppstateKayaker wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:27 am
Triggered much?

I don't think that flag even belongs to this organization.
Nope. Just racism.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu May 24, 2018 1:00 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:09 am
HighlandsApp wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:18 am

As I responded on Twitter..

1) That is not our flag. It is the infield of a NASCAR race. There are going to be people with differing views in there. But again, that is not our flag. That is the only picture I had with the sign in it. I had others asking me to provide proof it is actually for this cause and that sign is the best proof I could find.

2) If you look through the other pictures, you will see multiple races enjoying lunch with their families -- so no, we are not only helping white Wounded Warriors.

Our only stipulations on bringing these heroes into the infield is they are part of the Wounded Warrior Project and they want to be there. We have record numbers coming this year and are short on funds -- hence the need for a GoFundMe.

I apologize if a picture offends you, but let's please look past a picture of someone else's flag and bring this discussion back to the point. These men and women that have been wounded protecting our freedoms, and their families, deserve a weekend away from it all for some much needed fun!

EDIT: I did go ahead and crop out the flag. I didn't even notice the flag until it was pointed out to me so apologies. I guess I was just looking at the bigger picture for the cause instead.
Thanks, but no need to apologise to me. I understand and I am glad to know that was not your flag and that you had not noticed it in the photos. Thank you for your efforts towards this good cause and thanks for cropping the photo so that every wounded warrior feels included and welcome.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”