Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

For those thinking about ESPN+...

MountaineerMafia
School: Appalachian State

For those thinking about ESPN+...

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:36 pm

Take a look at the layout and some of the offerings from ESPN+ for those who may not have signed up yet.

I'd say it's worth it as a big sports fan. And if you'd like a good way to watch the App vs GW game this Saturday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuB7QsVN9O4

Also, I note that this will be the first ESPN+ broadcast from our stadium so I'm expecting good things since the UNCC broadcast wasn't very good.
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

biggie
Site Admin

Re: For those thinking about ESPN+...

Unread post by biggie » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:03 pm

Hope it is better than UNCC. Since I have to be stuck at a wedding.

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:17 pm

biggie wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:03 pm
Oh man, gotta love weddings during football season!

I know the vantage point will be better because of the height of our stadium compared to theirs but I fully expect our coverage to blow theirs out of the water in general too!
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:03 am

I watched it on my IPad and the picture was great. I can't get it to stream on my TV though. I opened the app on my tv and it asked for me to log into my device and add the code but it still didn't work.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:42 am

Worked fine on Roku. Watched Charlotte game. Broadcast was a dumpster fire and volume was horrible. Hope that was on UNCC. Looking for better quality this week.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:50 am

Good and helpful review MM!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:04 am

MountaineerMafia wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:17 pm
biggie wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:03 pm
Oh man, gotta love weddings during football season!

I know the vantage point will be better because of the height of our stadium compared to theirs but I fully expect our coverage to blow theirs out of the water in general too!
Yes I have begged to miss it, wife's good friend and she was in our wedding.

Even just GW game that will be a blowout is still better than a wedding.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:06 am

Yosefus wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:42 am
Worked fine on Roku. Watched Charlotte game. Broadcast was a dumpster fire and volume was horrible. Hope that was on UNCC. Looking for better quality this week.
Hated that UNCC's press box was so closed in, like the crowd noise during a broadcast.

This was watching the replay after being there, I know it was pretty loud at times in that stadium and couldn't really hear anything on the broadcast.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:46 am

I have also had satisfactory experience with it (the ESPN app) with Roku. I have watched several games and one thing I have noticed is the broadcast volume is unusually low, so I turn it up. Then when the commercials play it's really loud, so I turn it down. Nonetheless, very pleased so far with what $4.99 per month is delivering.

Note, on Roku it's titled ESPN app...not ESPN+. I had to google that piece of information.

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:12 pm

CVAPP wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:46 am
I have also had satisfactory experience with it (the ESPN app) with Roku. I have watched several games and one thing I have noticed is the broadcast volume is unusually low, so I turn it up. Then when the commercials play it's really loud, so I turn it down. Nonetheless, very pleased so far with what $4.99 per month is delivering.

Note, on Roku it's titled ESPN app...not ESPN+. I had to google that piece of information.
I experience the exact same thing with volume. I started watching the WCU/GW game replay last night and the announcers are really low volume and then an explosion of sound when the commercials start. It's pretty annoying but I just know to have the remote in hand when taking in games.

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:13 pm

AppFan11 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:50 am
Good and helpful review MM!
Thanks!

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:42 pm

Wondering if the announcers were actually at the game.

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:17 pm

For those with the technology, ESPN+ streams in 4K if the event you're watching is being broadcast/recorded in UHD. It has been very noticeable on my McBook and on our 4k UHD TV we've streamed CFL games.

We are a ways from having App State games shot with 4k UHD equipment, but other sporting events are certainly available in the ultra high def.
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:29 pm

MtnDevil95 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:17 pm
For those with the technology, ESPN+ streams in 4K if the event you're watching is being broadcast/recorded in UHD. It has been very noticeable on my McBook and on our 4k UHD TV we've streamed CFL games.

We are a ways from having App State games shot with 4k UHD equipment, but other sporting events are certainly available in the ultra high def.
Didn't know about the 4k! I don't have a 4k tv though so not a big loss for me right now. I'm sure it still looks better than what we saw 2 weeks ago from that Charlotte broadcast! haha

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:47 pm

MtnDevil95 wrote:

This auto or so you have to choose the definition? Didn’t notice on the UNCC game but probably couldn’t on that quality.

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:54 pm

biggie wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:47 pm
MtnDevil95 wrote:

This auto or so you have to choose the definition? Didn’t notice on the UNCC game but probably couldn’t on that quality.
I'm assuming it's auto. I think that's how Netflix works as well. Although I think that in the options you can downgrade the stream in order to not have any drop off, in the case of a weaker connection/loading issues.

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:50 pm

That's my understanding, the image quality is auto set based on the recording, broadcasting equipment (TSN in Canada uses 4k cameras and equipment, UNCC most definitely does not) and your individual bandwidth capabilities.
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”