Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

World Cup: USWNT 2, Spain 1

asu66
School: Appalachian State

World Cup: USWNT 2, Spain 1

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:42 pm

The US women took a brutal physical beating from the Spaniards today but survived to play another day. Spain was outmanned and knew it. Their only chance to win was to play rough and attempt to intimidate the US side.

Eighteen Spanish fouls and 90 minutes later, the US women were tending their wounds and looking toward a Friday match with France. Megan Rapinoe scored the two US goals on PKs following hard fouls in the box by the Spaniards. (For the record, the US was whistled for only four fouls.) Spain can start preps for next season.

US center forward Alex Morgan got mugged and was down for a long time. Not sure she’ll be available for the long-awaited showdown with the French team. Not a good omen!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Rekdiver

Re: World Cup: USWNT 2, Spain 1

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:26 pm

The referee needed to give cards for persistent infringement fouling. Everything seemed to flow through Rapino and Tobin Heath needed more touches. Ladies dodged a bullet.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:09 am

That was a brutal game, indeed. Spain's lone goal was off of some pretty sloppy US play near the goal. I'm glad my boss has HDTV in the office to catch parts of these games.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:31 am

I went to a D.C. United game against Columbus Crew. My seats were pretty much lined up with the 18 yard box. Columbus scored a goal, and it was very clear that they were onside leading up to the goal. Then I hear a whistle and see the official do the review square gesture. Come to find out, the play was onside, but back when Columbus gained possession on a steal, VAR determined it was a foul to obtain possession. Wasn't a slide or blatant tackle that the crowd was up in arms to begin with, but a simple foul. Of course the D.C. united crowd was satisfied, but it further proved my point. VAR should only be used for hand ball, offside, or confirm goals, as in did it cross or not. Fouls should strictly be left to those on the field. It is starting to over complicate the game. I will say that this WWC is the worst I've seen VAR on a consistent basis. 2018 World Cup was not this bad, or this past UEFA knockout stage, and I can assure you that the EPL who introduces it this upcoming season will not have as many issues.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:37 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:31 am
I went to a D.C. United game against Columbus Crew. My seats were pretty much lined up with the 18 yard box. Columbus scored a goal, and it was very clear that they were onside leading up to the goal. Then I hear a whistle and see the official do the review square gesture. Come to find out, the play was onside, but back when Columbus gained possession on a steal, VAR determined it was a foul to obtain possession. Wasn't a slide or blatant tackle that the crowd was up in arms to begin with, but a simple foul. Of course the D.C. united crowd was satisfied, but it further proved my point. VAR should only be used for hand ball, offside, or confirm goals, as in did it cross or not. Fouls should strictly be left to those on the field. It is starting to over complicate the game. I will say that this WWC is the worst I've seen VAR on a consistent basis. 2018 World Cup was not this bad, or this past UEFA knockout stage, and I can assure you that the EPL who introduces it this upcoming season will not have as many issues.
VAR and letting offsides plays continue drive me nuts.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”