Cancellations moving into the Fall

User avatar
MAD Doctor
Posts: 1910
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 215 times
Been thanked: 1111 times

Cancellations moving into the Fall

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:24 pm

The Valle Country Fair, an October High Country tradition has announced it will be virtual for 2020. Sorry, but it’s all about the tastes, smells, autumn air, and other things you can’t get off a computer. I guess the Wooly Worm, Ghost Train, and Haunted Horn will be next. The negative impact will be felt across the high country. Very concerning that cancellations are moving into the Fall.
F768DED1-00A4-422D-A03D-6E7C9CB59350.jpeg



User avatar
BeauFoster
Posts: 5388
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:42 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: In a cubicle
Has thanked: 560 times
Been thanked: 637 times

Re: Cancellations moving into the Fall

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:54 am

I hate to say it, but it’s highly unlikely we see football in the fall. If anything, maybe we play a conference slate. B-ball likely the same (very few out of conference games). I know this is what some conferences are already discussing and planning for, and D-II is going to do it for basketball.


Give 'em hell!

User avatar
McLeansvilleAppFan
Posts: 7045
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro (McLeansville) NC
Has thanked: 1878 times
Been thanked: 1050 times

Re: Cancellations moving into the Fall

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:06 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:54 am
I hate to say it, but it’s highly unlikely we see football in the fall. If anything, maybe we play a conference slate. B-ball likely the same (very few out of conference games). I know this is what some conferences are already discussing and planning for, and D-II is going to do it for basketball.
We still have time to get this under control before labor day. Just wear a f'ing mask, wash your hands often, practice some social distancing which likely will place limits on a good many businesses but not a complete shutdown either.

Hopefully that will be good enough to protect the athletes and staff. There is a lot of close contact in football and that is a HUGE problem.


This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NewApp
Posts: 5177
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 473 times
Been thanked: 488 times
Contact:

Re: Cancellations moving into the Fall

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:33 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:06 am
BeauFoster wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:54 am
I hate to say it, but it’s highly unlikely we see football in the fall. If anything, maybe we play a conference slate. B-ball likely the same (very few out of conference games). I know this is what some conferences are already discussing and planning for, and D-II is going to do it for basketball.
We still have time to get this under control before labor day. Just wear a f'ing mask, wash your hands often, practice some social distancing which likely will place limits on a good many businesses but not a complete shutdown either.

Hopefully that will be good enough to protect the athletes and staff. There is a lot of close contact in football and that is a HUGE problem.
Good point. On almost every play, players are touching other players or touching the ball which has been handled by others.


If you can't take it, don't dish it out

User avatar
McLeansvilleAppFan
Posts: 7045
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro (McLeansville) NC
Has thanked: 1878 times
Been thanked: 1050 times

Re: Cancellations moving into the Fall

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:13 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:33 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:06 am
BeauFoster wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:54 am
I hate to say it, but it’s highly unlikely we see football in the fall. If anything, maybe we play a conference slate. B-ball likely the same (very few out of conference games). I know this is what some conferences are already discussing and planning for, and D-II is going to do it for basketball.
We still have time to get this under control before labor day. Just wear a f'ing mask, wash your hands often, practice some social distancing which likely will place limits on a good many businesses but not a complete shutdown either.

Hopefully that will be good enough to protect the athletes and staff. There is a lot of close contact in football and that is a HUGE problem.
Good point. On almost every play, players are touching other players or touching the ball which has been handled by others.
I would not be too worried about the football. Not impossible to transmit this way I am sure but from what I have read that sort of transmission vector is way down the list. I would think the real issue is the breathing on each other. A clear facemask cover would help but I am not if it would hep enough for the lineman. There would still be a very open area around the neck for air borne particles to move around from person to person and those linemen are up in each others face a lot on play.

There must be LOTS of pre game testing and maybe some rule changes for teams that lost players.


This is my very generic signature added to each post.

User avatar
BeauFoster
Posts: 5388
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:42 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: In a cubicle
Has thanked: 560 times
Been thanked: 637 times

Re: Cancellations moving into the Fall

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:27 pm

The CDC said yesterday that something like 25 million people have likely had it and were mostly asymptotic. I know there are other things in play here, but I think we safely could have a season. I just think that some powers that be, maybe not in sports but state governments, that will try to keep this alive for as long as possible. Sorry, but I don’t trust politicians.


Give 'em hell!

User avatar
ArmantiWaterSafety
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:31 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: Cancellations moving into the Fall

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:54 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:27 pm
The CDC said yesterday that something like 25 million people have likely had it and were mostly asymptotic. I know there are other things in play here, but I think we safely could have a season. I just think that some powers that be, maybe not in sports but state governments, that will try to keep this alive for as long as possible. Sorry, but I don’t trust politicians.
Agreed. I also think that we need to at some point accept that this is never going away. The flu vaccine every year is ~50% effective, so I'm imagining the coronavirus vaccine will be roughly similar. Understanding this has a theoretical higher mortality rate (we really don't know right now) and I also understand the argument about the symptoms of the flu being much lower in those with a flu vaccine, but if we keep cancelling everything every time a single person gets it, we're never going to have anything again. I think we as a society have forgotten that there is inherent risk in everything and not just when the media or politicians are telling us there is.

That said, I'll happily wear a mask everywhere in close contact with people for however long it takes if it means getting back to normal.



Longrifle28
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 642 times
Been thanked: 244 times

Re: Cancellations moving into the Fall

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:22 am

I live down here on the Brunswick County coast. We are continuing to go up in cases. The homes on Sunset and Ocean Isle are full. Still a few people not wearing masks. Restaurants and grocery stores are full. With the huge influx of people, not sure anything is going to change anytime soon. Horry County (Myrtle Beach) is the next County from us in SC, and the COVID is running rampant....

And, there are now documented cases of people going back home after catching the virus here.


"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

User avatar
app87
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:08 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Cancellations moving into the Fall

Unread post by app87 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:25 am

Longrifle28 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:22 am
I live down here on the Brunswick County coast. We are continuing to go up in cases. The homes on Sunset and Ocean Isle are full. Still a few people not wearing masks. Restaurants and grocery stores are full. With the huge influx of people, not sure anything is going to change anytime soon. Horry County (Myrtle Beach) is the next County from us in SC, and the COVID is running rampant....

And, there are now documented cases of people going back home after catching the virus here.
I live and work in healthcare in Horry County and the cases are spiking here. Many of the travelers are not wearing masks and restaurants and businesses are not requiring anyone wear them, yet. This seems such a small thing to do (mask wearing) to curb and prevent the spread but as one vacationer stated to me when he saw me wearing a mask, "I'm on vacation, screw wearing those *&(*^%ing things!".



Longrifle28
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 642 times
Been thanked: 244 times

Re: Cancellations moving into the Fall

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:57 pm

app87 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:25 am
Longrifle28 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:22 am
I live down here on the Brunswick County coast. We are continuing to go up in cases. The homes on Sunset and Ocean Isle are full. Still a few people not wearing masks. Restaurants and grocery stores are full. With the huge influx of people, not sure anything is going to change anytime soon. Horry County (Myrtle Beach) is the next County from us in SC, and the COVID is running rampant....

And, there are now documented cases of people going back home after catching the virus here.
I live and work in healthcare in Horry County and the cases are spiking here. Many of the travelers are not wearing masks and restaurants and businesses are not requiring anyone wear them, yet. This seems such a small thing to do (mask wearing) to curb and prevent the spread but as one vacationer stated to me when he saw me wearing a mask, "I'm on vacation, screw wearing those *&(*^%ing things!".
Not surprising. Most don't give a crap.


"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

huskie3
Posts: 3775
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2000 9:57 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Gaston County
Has thanked: 275 times
Been thanked: 262 times

Re: Cancellations moving into the Fall

Unread post by huskie3 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:09 pm

North Myrtle just said “wear face covering while inside public places” outside “your choice”. 1/2 ass ordinance!


Bring Your A Game!

User avatar
appstategrad2008
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:22 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Charlotte, NC
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Cancellations moving into the Fall

Unread post by appstategrad2008 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:14 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:27 pm
The CDC said yesterday that something like 25 million people have likely had it and were mostly asymptotic. I know there are other things in play here, but I think we safely could have a season. I just think that some powers that be, maybe not in sports but state governments, that will try to keep this alive for as long as possible. Sorry, but I don’t trust politicians.
Even while coming very close to but not touching, we can still transmit the virus...

I apologize, I really really had to... :lol:



User avatar
BeauFoster
Posts: 5388
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:42 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: In a cubicle
Has thanked: 560 times
Been thanked: 637 times

Re: Cancellations moving into the Fall

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:37 pm

appstategrad2008 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:14 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:27 pm
The CDC said yesterday that something like 25 million people have likely had it and were mostly asymptotic. I know there are other things in play here, but I think we safely could have a season. I just think that some powers that be, maybe not in sports but state governments, that will try to keep this alive for as long as possible. Sorry, but I don’t trust politicians.
Even while coming very close to but not touching, we can still transmit the virus...

I apologize, I really really had to... :lol:
Stupid mobile keyboard and autocorrect...


Give 'em hell!

User avatar
MAD Doctor
Posts: 1910
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 215 times
Been thanked: 1111 times

Re: Cancellations moving into the Fall

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:50 pm

I don’t want to sound like an alarmist, but things are getting pretty bad in Boone. The count of cases have more than doubled in the past month and, from what I understand, the following have now closed due to employees with confirmed cases of COVID: Starbucks, Krispy Kreme, Tapp Room, Ransom, Makoto’s, and Blowing Rock Market. Those who live in the High Country or visiting over the holiday, stay safe.



AppSt94
Posts: 4442
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Palmetto, FL
Has thanked: 1911 times
Been thanked: 1196 times

Re: Cancellations moving into the Fall

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:17 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:27 pm
The CDC said yesterday that something like 25 million people have likely had it and were mostly asymptotic. I know there are other things in play here, but I think we safely could have a season. I just think that some powers that be, maybe not in sports but state governments, that will try to keep this alive for as long as possible. Sorry, but I don’t trust politicians.
If the CDC estimation is true, then that would put the mortality rate at .5%.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”

  • Who is online