Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

CUSA TV Partner to shut down - RIP American Sports Network

HighlandsApp
School: Appalachian State

CUSA TV Partner to shut down - RIP American Sports Network

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Looks like the made for TV conference is a total BUST!

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2017/3/1 ... ein-sports

I think on the next go around, the Sun Belt should say no more weeknight games and concentrate only on Saturday In Stadium Game Experience. Weeknights are not for Football.

hapapp

Re: CUSA TV Partner to shut down - RIP American Sports Network

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:20 pm

In other words you want the Belt to forgo any TV coverage. ASN essentially gave the G5 coverage that it otherwise wouldn't have.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:58 pm

hapapp wrote:In other words you want the Belt to forgo any TV coverage. ASN essentially gave the G5 coverage that it otherwise wouldn't have.
When you look at ratings, even an ESPNU or ESPNews game only gets between 80,000 and 100,000 viewers. And based on the empty stadiums and the lackluster production values, are we really making a good impression on anyone?

Only a handful of G5 schools are able to show off a full looking stadium on a weeknight.

I think that most belt teams may loose more revenue from decreased ticket sales and concessions for weeknight games than we make on the TV payout of $100k annually.

$100,000 is offset by less than 2,500 additional tickets sold for AppState. The big games like ArkState and this upcoming GaSo game will likely see about 20k to 23k in attendance for Thursday night VS being on a Saturday when there would likely be 25k to maybe 28k based on the teams and rivalry status.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:29 pm

HighlandsApp, I tend to agree.

College football - especially the G5 - should look to NASCAR as an example of what not to do. It seems to me college football is about 5 years behind the NASCAR curve, yet following the same path.

NASCAR went national. Took races away from its roots, moved more races off of the traditional Sunday at 1pm start time... why? The almighty TV dollar. What happened? Facilities expanded significantly and there was competition to have the biggest and best. Ticket prices shot up to pay for it all and it resulted in attendance falling. There are less traditional races that cater to its core fanbase. I have lost count of the number of former diehard racefans that now say they don't watch anymore. The result Now tracks are actively tearing down stands to reduce their capacity to make the stands "look" full and are making a cognitive effort to return to the historical Sunday afternoon green flag.

College football Took games away from its roots, moved more games off of the traditional Saturday kickoff (namely the most attractive rivalry games) and off campus to neutral sites... why? The almighty TV dollar. What happened? Facilities expanded significantly and there was competition to have the biggest and best. Ticket prices and monetary commitments to attend shot up to pay overhead and as a result attendance fell. Market saturation. The tradition and allure of Saturday football is waning.

The point is, the program/Conference that sees this and can figure out a way to jump off the "thank you sir, may I have another" TV wagon, maybe the attendance decline can be halted and possibly even turned around. The longer chasing TV $'s goes though, the harder the fall will be. Someone in a position of power needs to step up and ask - what is the opportunity cost of having a rivalry game on a weeknight and the to a greater extent what is the overall cost/benefit?

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:31 pm

I hate to hear this as more Network options are a good thing, and we had a few games on ASN the past few years as well. CUSA is now going to have the vast majority of their games on BeIn now. Marketz!
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:32 pm

I hate to hear this as more Network options are a good thing, and we had a few games on ASN the past few years as well. CUSA is now going to have the vast majority of their games on BeIn now. Marketz!
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:25 am

One step closer to regionalized G5 conferences.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:34 am

On a Marshal board someone posted that ASN was going to reorganize and bring in a different management team and other partners but Sinclair would still be a major part of the broadcasting piece. This poster had done some consulting for ASN and had an inside perspective. All just rumor mill message board of course, but a different side of the story.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:15 am

Saint3333 wrote:One step closer to regionalized G5 conferences.
Yes yes yes.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:03 am

Looks like the MWC is starting to ask the questions I posed above:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spo ... story.html

Boise State, which has a separate ESPN deal, hasn’t played a home game during the day since the 2013 season opener (and season tickets, not surprisingly, have dropped for four straight years).

“They hear it from fans. They go to the games themselves. Presidents are saying, ‘Wait a minute. I have a 6 a.m. breakfast in the morning, and we have an 8:30 p.m. kick?’ The question becomes: Is it worth $1 million per school to have all these disenfranchised fans?”

“To be on TV and collect a check, you’re going to play at 8:30 or 9 o’clock on those odd nights. Where’s the sweet spot? Where’s the balance? It’s a challenge, and it’s not comfortable.”

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:20 am

I hope this trend takes off and spreads.

AppState is in the education business. When is the best time for football games for the student athletes​ and the general student population? My guess is that it is on Saturday.

The student experience of festive fall weekend football is a draw to AppState for prospective students. When we won the 3 nation titles, freshman applications went through the roof as did the quality of our incoming freshman classes​.

With students paying almost 2/3 of the bill, I think that their interests are paramount. In regards to donors, I don't think we are going to pick up many new Yosef Club donors out of the fans watching on ESPNU on a Thursday night.

Week night TV games have little to no value in my opinion.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”