Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Time for some BBQ discussions

JTApps1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Time for some BBQ discussions

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:25 am

scatman77 wrote:We actually have a great little place in Rock Hill called the Dixie Pig. Appman and I have sampled their goods and it's darn good.
Definitely that best place in York County for Q.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:31 am

The Rock wrote:Lexington BBQ = "then monk"

That and woodlands totally different styles. Being from lexington originally, there is no comparrison between the 2 styles.
Personally I like the BBQ center a little better than the monk. Speedy's and Backcountry are also really good
Add Cooks to those and you really can't go wrong. After growing up in Winston-Salem it's hard living in Charlotte with a bunch of big city Que joints that are all too focused on being fancy or creative instead of doing the basics right. Plus the city basically won't let anyone smoke meats in the city limits now.

Ever been to Speedy Lohr's? Read some good things about it recently.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

eggers76

Unread post by eggers76 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:50 am

Speedy Lohr's is good. They still wood smoke.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu May 18, 2017 12:19 pm

That and woodlands totally different styles. Being from lexington originally, there is no comparrison between the 2 styles.
Personally I like the BBQ center a little better than the monk. Speedy's and Backcountry are also really good
What are the differences?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:25 pm

JTApps1 wrote:

Add Cooks to those and you really can't go wrong. After growing up in Winston-Salem it's hard living in Charlotte with a bunch of big city Que joints that are all too focused on being fancy or creative instead of doing the basics right. Plus the city basically won't let anyone smoke meats in the city limits now.

Mac's is good for a "city joint" that doesn't solely focus on Q. I grew up on Lake Wylie and have eaten a lot of Black's in Gastonia. A purist definitely wouldn't call one of their minced sandwiches BBQ but damn they are tasty.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Thu May 18, 2017 1:21 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:

What are the differences?
It's been years since I've been to Woodlands, and I'll be honest, I usually got the wings and brisket. Sacrilege, I know. So to be honest, I don't really remember what style sauce they used or what cut of meat they smoked. My vague memory is that they were closer to Western than Eastern, which would make sense, geographically.

As for the difference between the styles generally, I'll try to sum it up at the risk of being corrected.

In a nutshell, the Eastern-vs-Western (aka Lexington) divide is that Eastern generally uses whole hogs and a peppery vinegar sauce, and it's usually served finely chopped.

Lexington style adds a little ketchup to the sauce so it's reddish and sweeter. (Though since some shorthand Western bbq as "tomato," it's easy to expect something thicker and more like KC or Memphis if you're not familiar with the styles. That isn't the case. The Western style has more in common with Eastern style than it does with most other BBQ sauces.) Lexington also generally uses shoulders only, which cook a little quicker (though it's all still low and slow). The "brown" that folks have mentioned are the smokier outer sections (vs "white" deeper in the shoulder). While you can get it chopped fine like Eastern, most places have the option of "coarse chopped," which is my favorite.

One of Lexington's side benefits is red slaw, made with a touch of the sauce. It's far and away better than the white cole slaw you find in the East (and most places). I was brought up on SC BBQ (vinegar, not mustard!), and while I still have my allegiences to my hometown Q, Lexington cole slaw made me really like slaw for the first time in my life.

John Shelton Reed's "Holy Smoke" is a good book if you're interested in the crazy history and tradition of NC BBQ.

ukappfan

Unread post by ukappfan » Thu May 18, 2017 1:36 pm

Hursey's in Burlington is pretty good.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:39 pm

NO.2 wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:

Mac's is good for a "city joint" that doesn't solely focus on Q. I grew up on Lake Wylie and have eaten a lot of Black's in Gastonia. A purist definitely wouldn't call one of their minced sandwiches BBQ but damn they are tasty.
I've been to Mac's, Queen City Q, Midwood, and Sauceman's several times each. None of them are bad (Sauceman's is probably the closest to Lexington Style), but they're just not quite what I'm use to. Still any BBQ is better than none!

My Grandfather lived in Cramerton so I've had my share of RO's and Black's over the years. They certainly aren't the norm, but as you said they are good in their own way.

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Thu May 18, 2017 2:00 pm

eggers76 wrote:My very first public job was as a curb boy at the BBQ Center in Lexington at age 15.
The BBQ Center and Smiley's are both good alternatives...if the Monk happens to be closed. If you don't see a stack of wood out back, go elsewhere.

Personally, I think Speedy's sux...perfect example of trying to cover-up un-smoked pork with a bunch of sauce.
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Thu May 18, 2017 2:24 pm

Our bustling metropolis of Swannanoa has some good BBQ at Okie Dokies. Their red slaw is the best ever!
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

ASU84

Unread post by ASU84 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:27 pm

Appsolutely wrote:
eggers76 wrote:My very first public job was as a curb boy at the BBQ Center in Lexington at age 15.
The BBQ Center and Smiley's are both good alternatives...if the Monk happens to be closed. If you don't see a stack of wood out back, go elsewhere.

Personally, I think Speedy's sux...perfect example of trying to cover-up un-smoked pork with a bunch of sauce.
Speedy's has never put extra sauce on their BBQ when serving while I've been there(and that's been quite a number of times). Now they will bring extra in a cup with the BBQ. Personally I like it.

bh2oson

Unread post by bh2oson » Thu May 18, 2017 3:13 pm

There is a "City BBQ" Opening in Huntersville. Anyone ever heard about them? I think there are a few in Charlotte. Any good?
bh2oson aka Bill Waterson

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Thu May 18, 2017 4:45 pm

ASU84 wrote:
Appsolutely wrote:

Speedy's has never put extra sauce on their BBQ when serving while I've been there(and that's been quite a number of times). Now they will bring extra in a ycup with the BBQ. Personally I like it.
I will admit that it's been a while since I have been to Speedy's. Last chopped tray I had there was topped with sauce--not in the Q but on top of it. But it's been a while and I'm old as dirt.
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Don't sleep on the original Little Richards on Country Club Rd in WS. Way back in the day Fuzzy's in Madison was as good as it gets. Not so much anymore.

dlh71

Unread post by dlh71 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:29 pm

All you Lex. BBQ fans need to give Ricks Smokehouse in Welcom, NC a try. Great pork, beef, ribs, chicken on different nights plus homemade cakes and pies. Great food.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Thu May 18, 2017 6:45 pm

proasu89 wrote:Don't sleep on the original Little Richards on Country Club Rd in WS.
That's certainly my go-to. Large coarse chopped tray with some red slaw and those good hush puppies.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu May 18, 2017 8:49 pm

Woodlands is a sentimental favorite, although I can't understand why they are emphasizing their Mexican menu. I'm sure it's good, but when I smell that smoke, I can't think of anything but the cue.

Whispering Pines in Albemarle used to be very good, but haven't been there in a while.

wdhsbcsasu

Unread post by wdhsbcsasu » Thu May 18, 2017 11:05 pm

Appsolutely wrote:

BBQ Center has outstanding banana splits. Speedy's piles it high. Enough for two people. The Monk only closes on Sunday and a week for vacation, usually cleaning and repainting.

wdhsbcsasu

Unread post by wdhsbcsasu » Thu May 18, 2017 11:06 pm

wdhsbcsasu wrote:
Appsolutely wrote:

BBQ Center has outstanding banana splits. Speedy's piles it high. Enough for two people. The Monk only closes on Sunday and a week for vacation, usually cleaning and repainting.
Went to the Monk tonight, lean brown coarse chopped plate again!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri May 19, 2017 6:56 am

OK - let me ask it this way - If I sat down with 2 plates of unknown source BBQ in front of me - and in actuality one was from Woodlands and the other from Lexington - What would be the differences?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”