Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Time for some BBQ discussions

ViewCrew87
School: Appalachian State

Re: Time for some BBQ discussions

Unread post by ViewCrew87 » Wed May 31, 2017 5:05 pm

It's been said on here before by someone a few year's ago, anything less than hole hog over hardwood is pig parts.

Sam Jones place: Skylight Inn in Ayden, NC and Wilburs in Goldsboro.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed May 31, 2017 5:09 pm

OK - I'm still waiting for an answer to my earlier question - Please you experts help me out here ---
If I sat down and had 2 plates of BBQ and unbeknownst to be one is from Woodlands and one from Lexington, how could I tell the difference?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Wed May 31, 2017 6:44 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:OK - I'm still waiting for an answer to my earlier question - Please you experts help me out here ---
If I sat down and had 2 plates of BBQ and unbeknownst to be one is from Woodlands and one from Lexington, how could I tell the difference?
The sauce:
Your Lexington plate would have a sweeter, darker, redder sauce due to incorporating tomato and brown sugar. Your eastern plate would have a lighter-colored, vinegary, peppery sauce.

The meat:
The Lexington plate would have 100% dark meat (shoulder), and more coarsely-cut, whereas the eastern plate would be finely chopped and lighter in color (whole-hog).

The slaw
The Lexington plate would have red slaw (again with tomato), whereas the eastern plate would be purely white.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:24 pm

scatman77 wrote:
goapps wrote:Gary's BBQ in, someone 'cue' up the Doobie Brothers...........China Grove.
I have found a little place between Florence and Dillon (no, not South of the Border!). It's called Shuler's; family owned, home slow cooked Q, and a nice buffet where you can get other non-traditional BBQ fixings: pintos, roasted corn, fried chicken, mac and cheese. They don't have red BBQ slaw (that hurts the rating for me) but the pulled pork is quite tasty. No sauces on it other than cooked in vinegar base. One more thing: the collards are outstanding.
Wasn't this the place that was on The Profit TV show a couple years back?

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Wed May 31, 2017 7:45 pm

SayYesToTheRock wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:OK - I'm still waiting for an answer to my earlier question - Please you experts help me out here ---
The sauce:
Your Lexington plate would have a sweeter, darker, redder sauce due to incorporating tomato and brown sugar. Your eastern plate would have a lighter-colored, vinegary, peppery sauce.

The meat:
The Lexington plate would have 100% dark meat (shoulder), and more coarsely-cut, whereas the eastern plate would be finely chopped and lighter in color (whole-hog).

The slaw
The Lexington plate would have red slaw (again with tomato), whereas the eastern plate would be purely white.
And Woodlands would be there to the side just being a pathetic mutant.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:38 pm

scatman77 wrote:
goapps wrote:Gary's BBQ in, someone 'cue' up the Doobie Brothers...........China Grove.
I have found a little place between Florence and Dillon (no, not South of the Border!). It's called Shuler's; family owned, home slow cooked Q, and a nice buffet where you can get other non-traditional BBQ fixings: pintos, roasted corn, fried chicken, mac and cheese. They don't have red BBQ slaw (that hurts the rating for me) but the pulled pork is quite tasty. No sauces on it other than cooked in vinegar base. One more thing: the collards are outstanding.
Have been curious as it is on our way to the beach. Will stop and try.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:43 pm

Apptiger wrote:Q Talk -
For those around Charlotte- Try Spoon's on South Blvd. Eastern style, whole hog. Maybe Bubba's on Sunset Rd. the north end. Bill spoon trained Bubba before he passed.
Lexington and Monks- Family stopped at Lexington more so I have to give it the nod.
Bridges in Shelby- maybe the best hush puppies on earth.
Woodlands- Of course
Wilbur's- Goldsboro
The Pit - Raleigh - was a bit inconsistent.
Fuzzy's- Madison agree it ain't what it used to be but Fuzzy's son took over the restaurant again. May be improved.
Parker's and B's - Greenville
King's - Kinston ( with a nod to the defunct BBQ Lodge)
Haven't been to some of these in decades but oh the memories.....

If you find yourself in west central Florida,
Johnson's BBQ - Plant City
!st choice - Tampa/ Brandon
It ain't home but it'll do.. for now
My dad worked 3rd shift in Madison as a young man. He said that when they went outside to take a break the smell of Fuzzy's smoking overnight was unreal.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Wed May 31, 2017 8:53 pm

Is it wrong of me to say on here amongst all us NC guys that the best BBQ I've ever had was at a place called Pappy's in St Louis, MO and a close second is Hutchins in McKinney, TX? The brisket there melts in your mouth.

It is? And brisket isn't real Q either?

Well then Lexington Barbeque and Speedys in Lexington are my favorites.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:57 am

You must have missed my response from earlier.

I haven't been to woodlands in a long time, and can't remember exactly what their BBQ is like, but here are my observations of lexington BBQ vs. BBQ:
Texture of meat. Lexington BBQ don't cook the meat until it falls off the bone. They smoke it till it's done and chop it. Other BBQ cooks till it falls off the bone and then "pull" it.

Flavor- Lexington BBQ cooks shoulders over hickory coals giving a noticeable but subtle smoke flavor. May other BBQ places cook Boston butts in a gas cooker and add smoke chips. This leads to a stronger smoke flavor that can over power the meat flavor sometimes.
Sauce- lexington BBQ has "dip" which is a ketchup and vinegar base that is thin. Other BBQ has sauces which are thick, often smokey in flavor.
Slaw- Lexington BBQ comes with red slaw. You don't have to ask for it, you don't have to specify what color slaw. If it's a tray, red slaw is right beside of it. If it's a sandwich red slaw comes in too. Other BBQ often doesn't come with slaw, and has to be ordered as a side. Then often, cole slaw is the only choice.[/quote]

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:22 am

Thanks - no I did see your response earlier but I was asking about Woodlands in particular because I always get theirs when I am in the area and I rank them as my favorite thus my question using Woodlands as the test --- thanks --- I am not a BBQ expert in any stretch but to me it needs to be cooked over coals and not in a gas cooker - I like slaw OK but that is a "side" in my opinion - I like the Woodlands sauce!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:59 am

Slaw sucks.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:15 am

Gonzo wrote:Slaw sucks.
Seconded.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:35 am

It has been quite a while since I lived in that area but I used to love Lexington BBQ #1. I didn't realize it was also called "The Monk" until reading this thread. Glad to hear they are still in the "thick" of the Great AppState BBQ Debate!

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:59 am

WVAPPeer wrote:Thanks - no I did see your response earlier but I was asking about Woodlands in particular because I always get theirs when I am in the area and I rank them as my favorite thus my question using Woodlands as the test --- thanks --- I am not a BBQ expert in any stretch but to me it needs to be cooked over coals and not in a gas cooker - I like slaw OK but that is a "side" in my opinion - I like the Woodlands sauce!
Woodlands is neither eastern or western, kind of a hybrid in my opinion.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:59 pm

fjblair wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:Thanks - no I did see your response earlier but I was asking about Woodlands in particular because I always get theirs when I am in the area and I rank them as my favorite thus my question using Woodlands as the test --- thanks --- I am not a BBQ expert in any stretch but to me it needs to be cooked over coals and not in a gas cooker - I like slaw OK but that is a "side" in my opinion - I like the Woodlands sauce!
If I recall correctly, Woodlands is more Lexington style. Shoulders and not whole hog, no sauce or spices added after cooking.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:08 pm

Call it sacrilegious, but the real hidden gem of Woodlands' menu is the half chicken with "house" sauce. I've found better pork elsewhere so I tend to get that when I actually go to the restaurant. With that being said, I'll happily inhale one of their sandwiches at a basketball or football game.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:58 pm

CVAPP wrote:
fjblair wrote:
If I recall correctly, Woodlands is more Lexington style. Shoulders and not whole hog, no sauce or spices added after cooking.
Woodlands has 2 things in common with Lexington..... They serve food, and the main protein is pork

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:56 pm

NoLongerLurking wrote:
CVAPP wrote:
fjblair wrote:
Woodlands has 2 things in common with Lexington..... They serve food, and the main protein is pork
Please elaborate ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:48 pm

Come on, WV. Instead of asking us, go online and look at pictures...or do yourself a favor and take a couple of day trips...one to Lexington and the other to God's Country to see for yourself. You won't regret it.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:27 pm

The Pedalin' Pig (with locations in Boone and Banner Elk) is my favorite spot for BBQ in the High Country.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”