Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Time for some BBQ discussions

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Re: Time for some BBQ discussions

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:28 pm

Look at pictures??? Have you ever seen an advertising picture of an ugly motel? A putrid looking meal? A trash littered beach? :D
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

NoLongerLurking
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:31 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
NoLongerLurking wrote:
CVAPP wrote:
fjblair wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:Thanks - no I did see your response earlier but I was asking about Woodlands in particular because I always get theirs when I am in the area and I rank them as my favorite thus my question using Woodlands as the test --- thanks --- I am not a BBQ expert in any stretch but to me it needs to be cooked over coals and not in a gas cooker - I like slaw OK but that is a "side" in my opinion - I like the Woodlands sauce!
Woodlands is neither eastern or western, kind of a hybrid in my opinion.
If I recall correctly, Woodlands is more Lexington style. Shoulders and not whole hog, no sauce or spices added after cooking.
Woodlands has 2 things in common with Lexington..... They serve food, and the main protein is pork
Please elaborate ---
The only way to explain this is for someone to bring Woodlands, Lexington, and Eastern BBQ to a tailgate and let you decide :D..... but seriously, I do not enjoy Woodlands or anywhere else up here unfortunately.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:21 am

NoLongerLurking wrote: The only way to explain this is for someone to bring Woodlands, Lexington, and Eastern BBQ to a tailgate and let you decide :D..... but seriously, I do not enjoy Woodlands or anywhere else up here unfortunately.
Generally speaking those are my thoughts too, except I went to a private function at Woodlands and que was better than anything I remember getting off the menu in the restaurant. I went there occasionally as a student, mostly to drink, but since then Woodlands has never one of my destination eateries and or watering holes in the HIgh Country. I have not been back since that private function, but I want to remember Woodlands for the damn fine job they did the last time I was there.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:57 am

WVAPPeer wrote:Look at pictures??? Have you ever seen an advertising picture of an ugly motel? A putrid looking meal? A trash littered beach? :D
I haven't. That's why I left eastern q out of my solution. :shock:
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:44 am

CVAPP wrote:
NoLongerLurking wrote: The only way to explain this is for someone to bring Woodlands, Lexington, and Eastern BBQ to a tailgate and let you decide :D..... but seriously, I do not enjoy Woodlands or anywhere else up here unfortunately.
Generally speaking those are my thoughts too, except I went to a private function at Woodlands and que was better than anything I remember getting off the menu in the restaurant. I went there occasionally as a student, mostly to drink, but since then Woodlands has never one of my destination eateries and or watering holes in the HIgh Country. I have not been back since that private function, but I want to remember Woodlands for the damn fine job they did the last time I was there.
We had a group of 5 go to Woodlands after a game about 8 years ago, and to a person we took a few bites and were all very disappointed in the sandwich. I don't think any of us even finished. We all grew up on Lexington style. I can handle Eastern NC BBQ the few times I'm down that way, but Woodlands wasn't even up to that standard for me. None of us have ever been back.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Chaz

Unread post by Chaz » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:55 am

I've never been in love with Woodlands, but I don't think it's bad at all. We always enjoyed going for the live music more than anything else. I also worked across the street during my time in Boone, and I would see the pitmaster walking up the road to tend to the pits every morning.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:02 am

Two words...Short Sugars! In Reidsville. What I grew up on. Now I live in ENC and have grown to enjoy the whole hog. Not everyone likes Short Sugars. It's a completely different style sauce but the meat is cooked over hickory. My favorites down here don't come from a restaurant but from VFD fundraisers.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:07 pm

I eat Woodlands once a year. Always at my first game of the year at KBS, during the second quarter and with a large sweet tea. The Que is okay, but atmosphere can't be beat.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:23 pm

In Wilmington, we've got a few good places. Jackson Big Oak BBQ, Casey's, and, a reliable ok place, Smithfield BBQ.

Of these I like Jackson's the best.

asu1978

Unread post by asu1978 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:59 pm

No vinegar! It KILLS the taste of the meat.Smoke with apple,maple & oak....that's it! Drink with pure Mountain water,near the continental divide.None of that pissed in stuff in the piedmont.

RankinApp

Unread post by RankinApp » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:29 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:Is it wrong of me to say on here amongst all us NC guys that the best BBQ I've ever had was at a place called Pappy's in St Louis, MO..
Not at all. As a 3+ year resident of the STL I can confirm that Pappy's is legit. 8-)

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:32 am

NoLongerLurking wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
NoLongerLurking wrote:
CVAPP wrote:
fjblair wrote:
Woodlands is neither eastern or western, kind of a hybrid in my opinion.
If I recall correctly, Woodlands is more Lexington style. Shoulders and not whole hog, no sauce or spices added after cooking.
Woodlands has 2 things in common with Lexington..... They serve food, and the main protein is pork
Please elaborate ---
The only way to explain this is for someone to bring Woodlands, Lexington, and Eastern BBQ to a tailgate and let you decide :D..... but seriously, I do not enjoy Woodlands or anywhere else up here unfortunately.
One redeeming factor for Woodlands is that they serve in KBS. Nobody else does.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:34 am

AppinVA wrote:I eat Woodlands once a year. Always at my first game of the year at KBS, during the second quarter and with a large sweet tea. The Que is okay, but atmosphere can't be beat.

Last time I was in KBS, Woodlands wasn't allowed to serve tea because of a contract with Pepsi. Were they allowed to serve tea in KBS in 2015?
Google SUX

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:06 pm

NewApp wrote:
AppinVA wrote:I eat Woodlands once a year. Always at my first game of the year at KBS, during the second quarter and with a large sweet tea. The Que is okay, but atmosphere can't be beat.

Last time I was in KBS, Woodlands wasn't allowed to serve tea because of a contract with Pepsi. Were they allowed to serve tea in KBS in 2015?
I swear I remember tea, but I like Pepsi so much that it wouldn't register with me if that's what I had to get.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:50 pm

AppinVA wrote:
NewApp wrote:

I swear I remember tea, but I like Pepsi so much that it wouldn't register with me if that's what I had to get.
I know that through the 2015 season, they were not allowed to serve tea because of Cobb's contract with Pepsi. Tea just goes so well with BBQ.
Google SUX

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:58 pm

NewApp wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
NewApp wrote:

I know that through the 2015 season, they were not allowed to serve tea because of Cobb's contract with Pepsi. Tea just goes so well with BBQ.
That it does.

S.Lewis15

Unread post by S.Lewis15 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:33 pm

I don't consider Woodland's BBQ to be a traditional NC style BBQ. It's just pulled pork. Although I do love that mild BBQ sauce they have.

While I love almost all BBQ, out of NC style, Eastern NC is my favorite. The vinegar/pepper sauce highlights the natural flavors of the pork, and the mayo based coleslaw is a perfect match. Skylight Inn, B's, Parker's, are great to just name a few.

"Holy Smoke" by John Shelton Reed is a fantastic book for anyone wanting to know more about the history and modern legacy of BBQ in the state of North Carolina.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:01 pm

S.Lewis15 wrote:I don't consider Woodland's BBQ to be a traditional NC style BBQ. It's just pulled pork. Although I do love that mild BBQ sauce they have.

While I love almost all BBQ, out of NC style, Eastern NC is my favorite. The vinegar/pepper sauce highlights the natural flavors of the pork, and the mayo based coleslaw is a perfect match. Skylight Inn, B's, Parker's, are great to just name a few.

"Holy Smoke" by John Shelton Reed is a fantastic book for anyone wanting to know more about the history and modern legacy of BBQ in the state of North Carolina.
I personally never liked cole slaw with BBQ, but love red slaw (aka.marinated slaw, BBQ slaw). Now gotta have cole slaw with chicken.
Google SUX

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:23 am

NewApp wrote:
S.Lewis15 wrote:I don't consider Woodland's BBQ to be a traditional NC style BBQ. It's just pulled pork. Although I do love that mild BBQ sauce they have.

I personally never liked cole slaw with BBQ, but love red slaw (aka.marinated slaw, BBQ slaw). Now gotta have cole slaw with chicken.
I'm with you on that! I love red slaw (like you get at Lexington BBQ). I'm generally not a fan of cole slaw because I don't like mayo, so if you go to heavy on the mayo, I can't even eat the stuff.

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:15 am

Finally someone who knows something about down east.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”