Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Duke Removes Robert E. Lee Statue

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: Duke Removes Robert E. Lee Statue

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:16 am

:D
NoLongerLurking wrote:The statue of Doc Watson is perfection.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:21 am

Rekdiver wrote:
bcoach wrote:This whole statue issue is a load of crap. The removal of any statue will have zero affect on what someone has in their heart. TRUTHFUL conversation is the only answer and statues don't talk.
True but if you are a Michigan fan you might not like seeing a statue of Armanti...or having a statue of Irk Russell in Boone.........
Put the statues in a museum......
If I were a Michigan fan............. oh boy I have to stop thinking about that I am getting sick to my stomach :(

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:29 am

Stone Mountain, GA is next!

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:53 am

The statue of Anakin Skywalker at Paulson Stadium needs to come down. Vader was on the losing side, a traitor to the Republic, and to depict his likeness at a public school is disrespectful to the memory of the people of Alderon who suffered so greatly at the hands of his regime.

App74

Unread post by App74 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:02 am

I watched the local news before going to church yesterday. Over 1/3 of the 30 minute program was coverage on confederate statues and protests. Not one mention, NOT ONE SINGLE MENTION, of the six police officers that were shot Friday night. That offends me.

If removing these statues serves to unite our society, then good. However, we should base our position upon our own thinking and conviction, not the political correctness that has infected our country.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:42 am

bcoach wrote:I really don't care what they do with them, that is not my point. My point is that tearing them down just makes it harder to have any meaningful conversation in order to solve our problems. There are an awful lot of very good people who are offended by this. The hate groups are a very tiny percentage of our population. When the statues are all down it will have done nothing to open up dialog. Thousands of people will sit back and say screw it. The real winners will be the a$$____ hate groups. It is a short term feel good for some people. Please understand that I really don't care about the statues themselves I just worry about this method of removal.
As far as AE I love the guy but I don't even want his statue in Boone. I can think of a lot better ways to spend money than statues of athletes.(:
Bcoach I will respectfully disagree with you. There is plenty to spark conversation without statues memorializing those who fought to dismember the Union. Again an analogy albeit a poor one: A statue of your ex that you would have to walk by every day...........
there is plenty in books to teach history without having to look at a statue. Put the statutes in the museums

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:54 am

Rekdiver wrote:
bcoach wrote:I really don't care what they do with them, that is not my point. My point is that tearing them down just makes it harder to have any meaningful conversation in order to solve our problems. There are an awful lot of very good people who are offended by this. The hate groups are a very tiny percentage of our population. When the statues are all down it will have done nothing to open up dialog. Thousands of people will sit back and say screw it. The real winners will be the a$$____ hate groups. It is a short term feel good for some people. Please understand that I really don't care about the statues themselves I just worry about this method of removal.
As far as AE I love the guy but I don't even want his statue in Boone. I can think of a lot better ways to spend money than statues of athletes.(:
Bcoach I will respectfully disagree with you. There is plenty to spark conversation without statues memorializing those who fought to dismember the Union. Again an analogy albeit a poor one: A statue of your ex that you would have to walk by every day...........
there is plenty in books to teach history without having to look at a statue. Put the statutes in the museums
I don't think we have much disagreement. I think I am just having difficulty explaining my point today. I don't think the statues are necessary at all to spark a conversation. I just think this week has done much more harm than good. As in many other things this could have been handled much better. I am out of here. Have a great Mountaineer day.

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:20 pm

I think it has to do with a breakdown in history education. In my experience, most people in the South do not believe that the Civil War was fought over slavery. A historically accepted fact should not offend people. South Carolina (and every other Confederate state) wrote Declarations that spelled out exactly why they seceded (spoiler: it was because of slavery and the North's unwillingness to comply with the Fugitive Slave Act). See for yourself:

http://www.civil-war.net/pages/southcar ... ration.asp

These monuments were all part of a concerted effort by the Daughters of the Confederacy to change the narrative of the Civil War in support of the "glorious" Lost Cause. They clearly did a great job.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:27 pm

People are strange.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:48 pm

Yosef10 wrote:I just don't understand the infatuation with wanting to keep statues of traitors to the United States erected on land occupied by schools, and county & state courthouses; other than to keep the implicit meaning of said statues alive and well. I personally think statues of any men are a bit unwarranted, as did Thomas Jefferson. If you want to know about history, no statues needed, just open a book.

But that's it for talking politics.
No need for The Ten Commandments either, not the kind of stuff we need to keep perpetuating....O snap, that was removed years ago.

Where will it end, dynamiting Mt. Rushmore?
BLACK SATURDAY

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:00 pm

Actually, the Ten Commandments are permitted if displayed in context. Just can't do them as a stand alone.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:06 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:I just don't understand the infatuation with wanting to keep statues of traitors to the United States erected on land occupied by schools, and county & state courthouses; other than to keep the implicit meaning of said statues alive and well. I personally think statues of any men are a bit unwarranted, as did Thomas Jefferson. If you want to know about history, no statues needed, just open a book.

No need for The Ten Commandments either, not the kind of stuff we need to keep perpetuating....O snap, that was removed years ago.

It would cost too much to replace Team Americas secret base.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:49 pm

All statues will offend someone, somewhere. Since we now have a constitutional right to NOT be offended, then ALL statues should be removed from everywhere.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:55 pm

Black Saturday wrote:

Haha there is ideas and offers to blast confederate carving off Stone Mountain GA !! Sooo stupid!

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:58 pm

Black Saturday wrote:

Well, yes, for me, no need. You can keep your ten commandments to yourself in the confides of your own home or church. I don't need nor want your religion plastered upon my public land. And I don't believe any of the gentleman on Mt. Rushmore engaged in a war of treason against their own country. It's really not as hard as you're trying to make it.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:42 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:

Well, yes, for me, no need. You can keep your ten commandments to yourself in the confides of your own home or church. I don't need nor want your religion plastered upon my public land. And I don't believe any of the gentleman on Mt. Rushmore engaged in a war of treason against their own country. It's really not as hard as you're trying to make it.
No its not as easy and clean as you and yours would like to make it. always someone willing to take it further. Columbus, Lincoln, Hamilton...where does it stop? Being smug in your posts doesn't make it so, there is always someone in the hyper-PC atmosphere who is willing to go to the 1%.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:21 am

Yosef10 wrote: And I don't believe any of the gentleman on Mt. Rushmore engaged in a war of treason against their own country.
George Washington? Thomas Jefferson?

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:32 am

appst89 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote: And I don't believe any of the gentleman on Mt. Rushmore engaged in a war of treason against their own country.

Britain, besides not being our current country, was also not a democracy. That is a key point. Rebel leaders were attempting to overthrow a democratically elected gov't. If someone wanted to lead an armed uprising against Trump (in the same way that Southerners did against Lincoln), would they not be in the wrong? I don't think they'd be deserving of a place of honor in every public square for something so deeply unamerican.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:35 am

appst89 wrote:
Yes. Literally every founding father was engaged in that exact brand of treason.

I don't think CSA statues are an appropriate public land use. I mean, black people are paying taxes for the upkeep of those monuments. But this Yankee moral-high grounding is historically tone deaf.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:35 pm

appst89 wrote:
Sorry 89, I guess I missed when Jefferson and Washington fought for the confederacy. Treason wasn't owning a slave in the 1700s. It's engaging the attempt to overthrow an elected government. Again, it's not as complicated as you all are trying to make it.
Last edited by Yosef10 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”