Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ESPN pulls announcer

appst89
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

ESPN pulls announcer

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:00 pm

scatman77

Re: ESPN pulls announcer

Unread post by scatman77 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:11 pm

ESPN wonders why they are losing subscriptions right and left. I wonder if the announcer will seek discrimination action?
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:29 pm

Silly move, but it's cable in general that's losing subscriptions. ESPN can't lose subscriptions given that it isn't a subscription service.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:40 pm

At least he doesn't have to call a UVA game. He may thank them in the end.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:00 pm

This is just beyond ridiculous. So what's next... a football player for the University of Virginia being benched because his name happens to be Bobby Lee?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:01 pm

EastHallApp wrote:Silly move, but it's cable in general that's losing subscriptions. ESPN can't lose subscriptions given that it isn't a subscription service.
There's truth to both statements on this.

Appalachman

Unread post by Appalachman » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:30 pm

Please cheer extra hard since we will be short a voice as I have been banned from UGA game. I understand my tickets will not be coming as I share the same name with a former bulldog player. ESPN doesn't want to run the risk of me introducing myself to a dawg fan while wearing black and gold all while clearly being a different shape and age. I can't imagine the chaos a double name could create.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:16 am

ESPN announces it will no longer broadcast games with teams wearing gray uniforms. In response the NCAA has asked all schools to surrender any gray apparel, team clothing, uniforms, equipment, and any item including stadium cups that could be associated with events of 156 years ago. ESPN has requested the words Civil War, war between the states, and Damn Yankees not be used in any of the network's communications. ESPN also stated, athletes whos names are like, simular to, or could be mispronounced to resemble anyone's name having served as a Confederate Soldier will not be shown on camera. They suggested schools ask those athletes to not play during televised games and or remove their names from their uniforms. A special request was made to Appalachian State University to remove the dogs at Daniel Boone's on campus statue as there may have been someone in the south prior to 1865 with hound dogs. ESPN feels these minor changes will go a long way to ensure the risk of offending someone that has no interest in sports will be greatly diminished.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:05 am

Sadly, I think everything you've written is much closer to what may happen than either of us would like to believe.

1ASU78 wrote:ESPN announces it will no longer broadcast games with teams wearing gray uniforms. In response the NCAA has asked all schools to surrender any gray apparel, team clothing, uniforms, equipment, and any item including stadium cups that could be associated with events of 156 years ago. ESPN has requested the words Civil War, war between the states, and Damn Yankees not be used in any of the network's communications. ESPN also stated, athletes whos names are like, simular to, or could be mispronounced to resemble anyone's name having served as a Confederate Soldier will not be shown on camera. They suggested schools ask those athletes to not play during televised games and or remove their names from their uniforms. A special request was made to Appalachian State University to remove the dogs at Daniel Boone's on campus statue as there may have been someone in the south prior to 1865 with hound dogs. ESPN feels these minor changes will go a long way to ensure the risk of offending someone that has no interest in sports will be greatly diminished.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:21 am

It's a good thing Tom (Stonewall) Jackson retired from ESPN last year. With an insensitive name like that, he'd get the ax for sure.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:44 am

1ASU78 wrote:ESPN announces it will no longer broadcast games with teams wearing gray uniforms. In response the NCAA has asked all schools to surrender any gray apparel, team clothing, uniforms, equipment, and any item including stadium cups that could be associated with events of 156 years ago. ESPN has requested the words Civil War, war between the states, and Damn Yankees not be used in any of the network's communications. ESPN also stated, athletes whos names are like, simular to, or could be mispronounced to resemble anyone's name having served as a Confederate Soldier will not be shown on camera. They suggested schools ask those athletes to not play during televised games and or remove their names from their uniforms. A special request was made to Appalachian State University to remove the dogs at Daniel Boone's on campus statue as there may have been someone in the south prior to 1865 with hound dogs. ESPN feels these minor changes will go a long way to ensure the risk of offending someone that has no interest in sports will be greatly diminished.
Well played, well said, and probably more true than we'd all like to believe.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:31 am

I make no bones that I'm more socially liberal than some but this is waaaaay to much of an over reaction.

aerotight31

Unread post by aerotight31 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:10 am

How long do you think it will be before they announce they will no longer air any Ole' Miss Rebels games?

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:56 am

[quote="appst89"]Sadly, I think everything you've written is much closer to what may happen than either of us would like to believe

Sad is the word. I'm finding a lot of what's happening across the country makes me sad. The ire that people have for one another is alarming.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:44 am

This is only the beginning. We are a country of extremes that just can not ever seem to settle in the middle.

ukappfan

Unread post by ukappfan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:53 am

We are turning into the country of PC where you can never offend someone and if 1 person in a million doesn't like it we all must change.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:31 am

EastHallApp wrote:Silly move, but it's cable in general that's losing subscriptions. ESPN can't lose subscriptions given that it isn't a subscription service.
True but it does not tell the whole story. You can get cable packages that do not include ESPN and some that do not include all the espn franchises. This will continue to erode revenue.

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:36 am

I hear that all conferences are going non scholly soon because they won't be allowed to "GRANT" any scholarships. ;)

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:44 am

bcoach wrote:
True but it does not tell the whole story. You can get cable packages that do not include ESPN and some that do not include all the espn franchises. This will continue to erode revenue.

Yes but people aren't ditching ESPN because they think they're too PC. If you get a non-ESPN cable package (or more likely, non-cable "cord-cutting" option), it's because you want to save money and you either don't watch sports that much or you found another option to view them. Sports viewing is really the last thing that has kept a lot of viewers from cutting the cord.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:10 am

EastHallApp wrote:
bcoach wrote:

Yes but people aren't ditching ESPN because they think they're too PC. If you get a non-ESPN cable package (or more likely, non-cable "cord-cutting" option), it's because you want to save money and you either don't watch sports that much or you found another option to view them. Sports viewing is really the last thing that has kept a lot of viewers from cutting the cord.
I have to respectfully disagree. I hear about and talk to people all the time who are fed up with ESPN PC. They will watch a game but no longer watch any of the shows. The shows have ratings and ratings determine their income. I am very confident that their PC attitude is going to hurt them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”