Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

USMNT v. Trinidad & Tobago 8 PM EDT Final 2018 WC Qualifier

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: USMNT v. Trinidad & Tobago 8 PM EDT Final 2018 WC Qualifier

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:25 pm

Well, recent events would suggest that corruption exists in other sports outside of soccer.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:49 pm

hapapp wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:25 pm
Well, recent events would suggest that corruption exists in other sports outside of soccer.
While I can't disagree with your point. Soccer is the poster child for corruption and is infinitely more prevalent than anything that we have here in the states.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:04 pm

MarxistMountaineer wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:41 am
appst89 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:04 am
KEEP THE POLITICS OUT OF SPORTS DISCUSSIONS!
If you know anything about the beautiful game you know it is deeply embedded in politics and it is always going to be that way. If you can't handle that I just don't know what to tell you. This sport is just different, man. If you want to have a thorough discussion about the sport you're going to get into politics.
Okay, What I posted was not a request. If you want this thread to stay open, you'll heed it.

MarxistMountaineer

Unread post by MarxistMountaineer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:03 pm

appst89 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:04 pm
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:41 am
appst89 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:04 am
KEEP THE POLITICS OUT OF SPORTS DISCUSSIONS!
If you know anything about the beautiful game you know it is deeply embedded in politics and it is always going to be that way. If you can't handle that I just don't know what to tell you. This sport is just different, man. If you want to have a thorough discussion about the sport you're going to get into politics.
Okay, What I posted was not a request. If you want this thread to stay open, you'll heed it.
Apologies, I'm just devastated and have been in a bad mood ever since last night. Didn't mean to attack you or anyone else. Just frustrated, upset, shocked, etc.

I do think AAU sports are a massive issue because a lot of kids can't afford to play them nor do they have the time. And that issue is as prevalent in soccer as it is any other sport.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:17 am

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:45 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:27 am
One possible explanation for bad US soccer is that in our country kids also play: baseball, football, basketball, etc. In many of the countries mentioned they play...soccer. That's it! Kids also have virtually nothing to do in many of these countries. Soccer is by far the cheapest sport to play. All a bunch of kids needs is a ball. In the U.S. we still prefer games where there is actual scoring for 90 minutes. It's brutal for many of us to watch a game where the ball gets kicked around for 90 minutes and there are only a few scores, maybe. We have AAU basketball for development, travel/showcase baseball for that development and we have football starting at Pop Warner with high school being widely prevalent and still massively popular. Younger kids who are good or interested in soccer are yes, typically white and privileged and play for teams that travel(which is expensive). There just isn't much in the way of rec soccer beyond the little kids. I think we are still in an infancy stage which might stay that that way for many more years.
This is the WORST argument and I cringe every time I hear it. Also if you hate soccer so bad why are you here talking about it? If you think it's boring why are you watching it?

Also AAU/showcase soccer exists in this country, and it's where all the scouts go. But only kids of privileged backgrounds get to play. Until we give poor kids the same chance as the privileged ones in this country, we will always be bad.
PLEASE go back and read this again. No where in this take did I say that this is my opinion. It’s an opinion shared by many. Yes there is a higher level of youth soccer but it only involves rich mostly white kids. Soccer programs in the US are vastly different than in other countries that dominate the sport. You are absolutely correct that the poor are left out. Again read it.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:38 pm

I found a new reason to hate soccer. Thanks.

MarxistMountaineer

Unread post by MarxistMountaineer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:39 pm

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video. ... &width=560

Here is a fantastic video that backs up a lot of my claims.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”