Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

USMNT v. Trinidad & Tobago 8 PM EDT Final 2018 WC Qualifier

asu66
School: Appalachian State

USMNT v. Trinidad & Tobago 8 PM EDT Final 2018 WC Qualifier

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:16 am

If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

appmaj

Re: USMNT v. Trinidad & Tobago 8 PM EDT Final 2018 WC Qualifier

Unread post by appmaj » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:09 am

BeIn is a real pain in the ass to watch ganmes

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:51 pm

Right now we suck. An own goal and another by T&T. Down 0-2. Biggest match of the year for USMNT and we can't even see in on a freaking mainstream channel.

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:19 pm

Well, there it is. Can't believe I am typing this. Never thought I'd see the day the US failed to qualify in what was once considered one of the weaker qualifying regions in the world. Wow!

Time to clean house at US Soccer!
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:24 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:51 pm
Right now we suck. An own goal and another by T&T. Down 0-2. Biggest match of the year for USMNT and we can't even see in on a freaking mainstream channel.
The US WILL NOT be a World Cup '18 partiicipant. They earned this "distinction."

MarxistMountaineer

Unread post by MarxistMountaineer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:09 pm

I mean the U.S. completely deserves this. I'm just a mixture of sad, angry, furious and shocked right now. This system is so beyond broken though and it has been for years. I've studied this for years now and as long as the U.S. is primarily made up of suburban white guys from privileged backgrounds we're always going to be bad. Always.

You go to Brazil, you go to Argentina, you go to Mexico, etc. Soccer is seen as a way out of reality. From the time kids are born they know one of their few ways of advancing in their society is to get good at kicking a round ball. So they play it until they can't run anymore. Even look in America, a lot of NFL, NBA and hell even MLB players worked relentlessly at their sport to make it to where they are.

Soccer just isn't like that here. Soccer in America is allllllll about money. The players who "make it" typically come from money. They're so privileged and so mentally weak it is unreal. If any of you are familiar with this program you know that if there is one exception to this it's some guy by the name of Clint Dempsey. He grew up in a trailer park close to the Mexican-American border. He had to bust his ass for every opportunity he got, and that's why he's our leader in goals. That's why he plays fearless and IMPOSES fear into the opposition.

The guys out there tonight were so mentally fragile. They didn't care. They looked around expecting someone else to do something for them, a product of their privileged backgrounds. What a pack of cowards. I could go on, and on about this. But it is what we deserve. I bet Mexicans, Costa Ricans and Panamanians are partying hard tonight loving American tears. I can't blame them.

We're missing the greatest tournament in the world because we couldn't draw Trinidad & Tobago. The worst team in the region who had nothing to play for. I will say: this has gotten big time attention. Attention is finally being brought to our broken system. It is time to turn a new page and tear everything down, there are only a few players from this roster that should be in line for future call ups (Pulisic, Horvath, Yedlin) and maybe another one or two. Possibly Brooks and Arriola. But the page needs to be turned now. Sunil OUT. Arena OUT (he was always gone after this summer anyways, though).

Embarrassing is a massive understatement. I miss the USMNT that embodied everything that is great about being an American. But ever since Brazil it's been a complete and utter disaster, we need changes everywhere.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:37 am

It is a huge disappointment. We join the ranks of Chile and the Netherlands who will be watching from the sidelines. The silver lining maybe the house cleaning that will follow.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:21 am

I'm still stunned. How do you blow Panama away and lose to the worst team in the hex....

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:27 am

One possible explanation for bad US soccer is that in our country kids also play: baseball, football, basketball, etc. In many of the countries mentioned they play...soccer. That's it! Kids also have virtually nothing to do in many of these countries. Soccer is by far the cheapest sport to play. All a bunch of kids needs is a ball. In the U.S. we still prefer games where there is actual scoring for 90 minutes. It's brutal for many of us to watch a game where the ball gets kicked around for 90 minutes and there are only a few scores, maybe. We have AAU basketball for development, travel/showcase baseball for that development and we have football starting at Pop Warner with high school being widely prevalent and still massively popular. Younger kids who are good or interested in soccer are yes, typically white and privileged and play for teams that travel(which is expensive). There just isn't much in the way of rec soccer beyond the little kids. I think we are still in an infancy stage which might stay that that way for many more years.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:04 am

KEEP THE POLITICS OUT OF SPORTS DISCUSSIONS!

appmaj

Unread post by appmaj » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:13 am

Terrible performance from the back line.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:23 am

appmaj wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:13 am
Terrible performance from the back line.
If I never see Omar Gonzales in a USMNT kit again, it will be too soon. Of course, he wasn't alone in the realm of poor performances but he really stood out for me. There just seemed to be a lack of intensity on the pitch last night. Not sure if it was the environment (small crowd, the opposition, or what) but it seemed as if the team thought they had already qualified.

Not sure if anyone caught Taylor Twellman's rant on Sportscenter but he really lit into U.S. Soccer.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:59 am

Well the demographic of white and privileged doesnt apply to the USMNT and you are way off base on that comment. Bruce Arena is a horrible coach. and our entire USMNT committee needs to be replaced. What galls me more than anything is the veterans on this team let us down. And outside of Yedlin our backline has sucked for a long time.

MarxistMountaineer

Unread post by MarxistMountaineer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:41 am

appst89 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:04 am
If you know anything about the beautiful game you know it is deeply embedded in politics and it is always going to be that way. If you can't handle that I just don't know what to tell you. This sport is just different, man. If you want to have a thorough discussion about the sport you're going to get into politics.

Not on this board you're not.

MarxistMountaineer

Unread post by MarxistMountaineer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:43 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:59 am
Well the demographic of white and privileged doesnt apply to the USMNT and you are way off base on that comment. Bruce Arena is a horrible coach. and our entire USMNT committee needs to be replaced. What galls me more than anything is the veterans on this team let us down. And outside of Yedlin our backline has sucked for a long time.
You are absolutely crazy. Have you ever heard of pay to play? Do you know anything at all about the way this game works at our youth levels in this country? I agree Arena is garbage and never should have been appointed again in the first place, but the problem is poor kids that play soccer in this country don't have the same opportunities that rich privileged kids do. That is JUST HOW IT IS. I've been studying this for years and read multiple books on it. It's not even something you debate it's something that is a fact.

MarxistMountaineer

Unread post by MarxistMountaineer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:45 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:27 am
One possible explanation for bad US soccer is that in our country kids also play: baseball, football, basketball, etc. In many of the countries mentioned they play...soccer. That's it! Kids also have virtually nothing to do in many of these countries. Soccer is by far the cheapest sport to play. All a bunch of kids needs is a ball. In the U.S. we still prefer games where there is actual scoring for 90 minutes. It's brutal for many of us to watch a game where the ball gets kicked around for 90 minutes and there are only a few scores, maybe. We have AAU basketball for development, travel/showcase baseball for that development and we have football starting at Pop Warner with high school being widely prevalent and still massively popular. Younger kids who are good or interested in soccer are yes, typically white and privileged and play for teams that travel(which is expensive). There just isn't much in the way of rec soccer beyond the little kids. I think we are still in an infancy stage which might stay that that way for many more years.
This is the WORST argument and I cringe every time I hear it. Also if you hate soccer so bad why are you here talking about it? If you think it's boring why are you watching it?

Also AAU/showcase soccer exists in this country, and it's where all the scouts go. But only kids of privileged backgrounds get to play. Until we give poor kids the same chance as the privileged ones in this country, we will always be bad.

HeffnerIV

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:53 am

If we demanded US Soccer be great, it would be. Most Americans don't even know we had a game last night, let alone one that eliminated us from the World Cup, and 90% of us couldn't even watch it on tv. It's just not a priority

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:09 am

"...AAU/showcase soccer exists in this country, and it's where all the scouts go. But only kids of privileged backgrounds get to play."

That exaggeration is completely out of my reality and I've worked with gifted youngsters from every imaginable background for a long, long time. The word "only" doesn't belong in your rant.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:45 am

MarxistMountaineer wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:43 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:59 am
You are absolutely crazy. Have you ever heard of pay to play? Do you know anything at all about the way this game works at our youth levels in this country? I agree Arena is garbage and never should have been appointed again in the first place, but the problem is poor kids that play soccer in this country don't have the same opportunities that rich privileged kids do. That is JUST HOW IT IS. I've been studying this for years and read multiple books on it. It's not even something you debate it's something that is a fact.
You read a book? Get out in the field and see how many have privilege.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:50 pm

MarxistMountaineer wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:41 am
appst89 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:04 am
If you know anything about the beautiful game you know it is deeply embedded in politics and it is always going to be that way. If you can't handle that I just don't know what to tell you. This sport is just different, man. If you want to have a thorough discussion about the sport you're going to get into politics.
It's also deeply embedded in corruption as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”