Richardson selling ownership stake in Panthers

User avatar
T-Dog
Posts: 4831
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:35 pm
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 836 times

Richardson selling ownership stake in Panthers

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:23 pm

Just announced. Heck of a day of the Queen City.

According to past reports, I believe Richardson has 48 percent of an ownership stake with a dozen-or-so owners having minority stakes, including Erskine Bowles.

I feel like Richardson will sell to someone with the deal stating the team will remain in Charlotte.



User avatar
Rekdiver
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:14 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 407 times
Been thanked: 1035 times

Re: Richardson selling ownership stake in Panthers

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:55 pm

Wow....just wow. Ive met Jerry on many occasions and Im shocked. I thought he was better than this.Well if they sell and move I can afford some club seats in Boone.



Stonewall
Posts: 698
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 379 times
Been thanked: 209 times

Re: Richardson selling ownership stake in Panthers

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:49 am

It's been the plan for years.This event taints it.He is still one helluva man , flawed in some ways like the rest of us.I just hope they ditch Wofford for Boone...



fjblair
Posts: 2734
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:03 pm
Has thanked: 147 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: Richardson selling ownership stake in Panthers

Unread post by fjblair » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:16 am

Great news if you are a Panther fan, but my real dream is for Snyder to sell the Redskins.



User avatar
McLeansvilleAppFan
Posts: 6082
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro (McLeansville) NC
Has thanked: 1020 times
Been thanked: 599 times

Re: Richardson selling ownership stake in Panthers

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:17 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:55 pm
Wow....just wow. Ive met Jerry on many occasions and Im shocked. I thought he was better than this.Well if they sell and move I can afford some club seats in Boone.
Where would they go? Is there a bigger TV market without NFL AND a history of supporting the team with attendance. I don't follow the Panthers that closely but they seem in a location that supports the team and even if there are better places to be I don't see those locations needing a(nother) NFL team.


This is my very generic signature added to each post.

User avatar
yosef13
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:13 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: Richardson selling ownership stake in Panthers

Unread post by yosef13 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:05 am

Jerry has done a lot for the Carolina's. I will always be grateful for him making it his mission to bring the NFL to us. He's human and flawed just like anyone else. I can accept this. What I can't accept is his hypocrisy.

Look at the percona he has created for himself and his organization, and how they conducted business over the past 25 years. You will be removed from BofA if you take your shirt off. Removed if you hold up a sign. Cam Newton is in violation of his contract if he gets tattoos or piercings.

Jerry wanted a franchise that reflects class, and that was his right. That will no longer be his legacy. His legacy will be that of a hypocritical man that did not practice what he preached.

The Panthers are not moving. Charlotte is one of the fastest growth markets in the county. NC is now the 9th most populated state, likely reaching 7th over the next decade. While i'm disappointed in Jerry, i'm also excited about seeing some fresh faces at BofA. This was inevitable, and could be a good change for the franchise long term.

Thank you Jerry for what you've done for the Carolina's, and I hope you can find peace moving forward.



Boone Goon
Posts: 584
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:36 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Triangle
Has thanked: 527 times
Been thanked: 287 times

Re: Richardson selling ownership stake in Panthers

Unread post by Boone Goon » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:18 am

UNCC has a new crisis...stadium named after Jerry!


If you don't love Yosef, than I can't love you!

User avatar
Rekdiver
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:14 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 407 times
Been thanked: 1035 times

Re: Richardson selling ownership stake in Panthers

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:28 am

Boone Goon wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:18 am
UNCC has a new crisis...stadium named after Jerry!
I didnt even think about that.............poor fools cant catch a break.............



User avatar
yosef13
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:13 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: Richardson selling ownership stake in Panthers

Unread post by yosef13 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:39 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:28 am
Boone Goon wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:18 am
UNCC has a new crisis...stadium named after Jerry!
I didnt even think about that.............poor fools cant catch a break.............
Jerry gives a lot of money to a lot of organizations and charities. Could become problematic.

I hate to convict him without more due process, but as much as he's done for others, I don't hear voices going to bat for him today.



User avatar
MAD Doctor
Posts: 1253
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 404 times

Re: Richardson selling ownership stake in Panthers

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:51 am

Down goes the statue.



User avatar
Gonzo
Posts: 4017
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:11 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 833 times

Re: Richardson selling ownership stake in Panthers

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:54 am

I agree that the team moving cities is highly unlikely, but even a molecule of chance makes me nervous. I grew up with this team (I was 5 in '94). I've spent far more money, time, and emotional investment on the Carolina Panthers than any other sports team including my beloved 'Neers. If the Panthers leave Charlotte it would be like losing a close family member.

The bigger risk to me is the wrong person buying the team, keeping us in Charlotte, but being a shitty owner. Example: some idiot *cough cough P Diddy Cough* who might, say, get the name of team wrong and pledge to add a controversial QB to the roster to "compete" with an NFL MVP when announcing his interest. No thanks, bro.

I hope the Bruton Smith or his kids buy the team. I fear MJ would hold us back like he does the Hornets.


NewApp wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:03 am
Now for the ones who think I have a negative miserable life....beat that!

User avatar
T-Dog
Posts: 4831
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:35 pm
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 836 times

Re: Richardson selling ownership stake in Panthers

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:59 am

MAD Doctor wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:51 am
Down goes the statue.
Image



User avatar
yosef13
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:13 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: Richardson selling ownership stake in Panthers

Unread post by yosef13 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:09 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:54 am
I agree that the team moving cities is highly unlikely, but even a molecule of chance makes me nervous. I grew up with this team (I was 5 in '94). I've spent far more money, time, and emotional investment on the Carolina Panthers than any other sports team including my beloved 'Neers. If the Panthers leave Charlotte it would be like losing a close family member.

The bigger risk to me is the wrong person buying the team, keeping us in Charlotte, but being a shitty owner. Example: some idiot *cough cough P Diddy Cough* who might, say, get the name of team wrong and pledge to add a controversial QB to the roster to "compete" with an NFL MVP when announcing his interest. No thanks, bro.

I hope the Bruton Smith or his kids buy the team. I fear MJ would hold us back like he does the Hornets.
Valid concerns. Diddy has zero chance.



NewApp
Posts: 3648
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 280 times
Been thanked: 238 times

Re: Richardson selling ownership stake in Panthers

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:43 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:09 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:54 am
I agree that the team moving cities is highly unlikely, but even a molecule of chance makes me nervous. I grew up with this team (I was 5 in '94). I've spent far more money, time, and emotional investment on the Carolina Panthers than any other sports team including my beloved 'Neers. If the Panthers leave Charlotte it would be like losing a close family member.

The bigger risk to me is the wrong person buying the team, keeping us in Charlotte, but being a shitty owner. Example: some idiot *cough cough P Diddy Cough* who might, say, get the name of team wrong and pledge to add a controversial QB to the roster to "compete" with an NFL MVP when announcing his interest. No thanks, bro.

I hope the Bruton Smith or his kids buy the team. I fear MJ would hold us back like he does the Hornets.
Valid concerns. Diddy has zero chance.

P Didy is about $120 M short.


Gonzo said: "His high school-aged kids will forgive him for making them move when they park their brand new porches at Chapel Hill High School."

appstate77
Posts: 1714
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:49 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Little River, South Carolina
Has thanked: 510 times
Been thanked: 316 times
Contact:

Re: Richardson selling ownership stake in Panthers

Unread post by appstate77 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:45 pm

As far as I remember Rick Hendrick is a minority owner. He, Jack Roush, Bruton Smith, Steph Curry, or even Jeff Gordon or Dale Jr....big Redskins fan..... might could team up to make a purchase. All of them know and understand big time sports in the Carolinas. MJ is too busy trying to make the Hornets work.



app97
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:09 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Asheville
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 67 times

Re: Richardson selling ownership stake in Panthers

Unread post by app97 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:51 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:28 am
Boone Goon wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:18 am
UNCC has a new crisis...stadium named after Jerry!
I didnt even think about that.............poor fools cant catch a break.............
Wofford's new basketball arena is named after him as well.



User avatar
firemoose
Posts: 6707
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:20 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 654 times
Been thanked: 2885 times

Re: Richardson selling ownership stake in Panthers

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:57 pm

PLEASE do not take this thread where it could go when I post this but since it's showing up on a lot of pages I'm just putting it here. Just not a possibility with this group but it sure muddies the waters just having these names involved and opens a lot of doors that could lead to a bunch of issues. Hopefully, as other have stated, a different group with full ties to NC and Charlotte (excluding Steph's connections as we all know he has them) will come forward.

https://sports.yahoo.com/colin-kaeperni ... 09134.html



appbanker
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:26 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: Richardson selling ownership stake in Panthers

Unread post by appbanker » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:12 pm

Question: It is my understanding that Richardson is the majority owner at I believe 48% of the team and that there are 12 other owners. Are all shares up for sale or just Richardson's?



User avatar
NattyBumppo'sRevenge
Posts: 658
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:55 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 220 times
Been thanked: 212 times

Re: Richardson selling ownership stake in Panthers

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:14 pm

They should split his shares and sell them separately and make one of the existing owners the majority owner. Not sure if they can do it, but they should.



fjblair
Posts: 2734
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:03 pm
Has thanked: 147 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: Richardson selling ownership stake in Panthers

Unread post by fjblair » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:38 pm

firemoose wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:57 pm
PLEASE do not take this thread where it could go when I post this but since it's showing up on a lot of pages I'm just putting it here. Just not a possibility with this group but it sure muddies the waters just having these names involved and opens a lot of doors that could lead to a bunch of issues. Hopefully, as other have stated, a different group with full ties to NC and Charlotte (excluding Steph's connections as we all know he has them) will come forward.

https://sports.yahoo.com/colin-kaeperni ... 09134.html
I would guess the most likely scenario is one or more of the existing owners buying the shares. There is a great opportunity for a racial minority owner(s) to get in the mix, but it ain't going to be Diddy. I don't know what Kaepernick's angle is because he does not have that kind of balance sheet.

The most important thing is they stay in Charlotte, no matter the owner.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests

    Most users ever online was 1551 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 pm

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests