Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Panthers off season

The Rock
School: Appalachian State

Panthers off season

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:22 pm

Wanted to start a discussion here about the panthers offseason losses/acquisitions.

I really don’t understand the moves made so far, especially this year so far, but starting last season too.

1) An identified area of need is the secondary.
Mike Adams is ancient and little production last year. Our young corners regressed or at least didn’t progress as much as hoped for but josh Norman took several years to reach his potential.
Solutions thus far: keep Adams, get rid of Worley and Coleman ( who was still a pretty solid safety IMO) even with suspect secondary at the end of 2015-16 season, they got rid of Boston who was a decent safety too, I thought.
2) WR- after trading our #1 receiver (kelvin Benjamin) mid season, the reason was to get younger and more speed at the WR unit, we trade Worley for Torrey Smith who is almost 30 and on the decline statistically. It’s hard to tell truly what kind of talent there is as a group due to the injuries last year, but there have been some good, proven receivers on the market that could have been targeted, but wasn’t. Why do we keep getting rid of proven play makers ( Benjamin, ginn JR) to pick up unknown and aging guys (Shepard,clay)? Bersin won’t go away and has never been a serious option.
3- O-line. After little production from the running game, and Cam taking a beating, I thought solidifying the line would be a high priority, but then we let the best rated guard (norwell) go. I know he had a high price, but he earned it. They essentially traded norwell for Matt kalil, who wasn’t great at all and certainly not worth what he gets paid.
J Stewart seemed to have plenty still in the tank last year and I would have liked to see him re-structure to retire a panther, and I thought a better o-line would have helped him be the RB he could still be.

I would feel a little better about losing some of these guys if we were replacing them with proven talent, but instead we trade for mid-round picks who will probably, at best, be a 2-3 year project to become usable.
I am obviously not an NFL scout, GM, or coach, and I know the cap is fairly small, but I just don’t understand getting rid of decent players to replace them with similar or less ability. When is the last time they have acquired a “big name” in free agency? Seems like we are always letting those “big names” get away from us and go elsewhere; usually divisional rivals that beat us in return.
Anyone else not understand the some of their recent choices?

NO.2

Re: Panthers off season

Unread post by NO.2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:56 pm

We never get the splashy FA because we've (i.e. Hurney) always tied most of our money up in our own guys. Johnson, Beason, Williams, Stew, Davis, and more all got huuuuuuge contracts from Marty.

Kalil's signing last season was one of the bigger FA gets that I can remember, but that was all G-Man.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:48 pm

Was going to say that Bersin has to have some “photos” that have kept him around but that theory went out the window this year.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:18 pm

I’m pretty sure that Bersin cut Jerry’s grass. Once grass season was over he joined the team.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:13 pm

Bersin’s Family has always been friends with Jerry Richardson and he went to wofford too. No way he would still be in the league if not for that connection.

I’m tired of playing for the future. With the exception of McCaffery, I don’t see much potential in our draft picks from the last several years. The good players are aging out ( Thomas Davis, peppers, Greg Olsen, Ryan kalil) we need to get some proven, but young talent to replace them when they are gone

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:17 am

Most importantly,ticket prices are up .

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:35 am

No way we should have paid $65 mil for Norwell or Star at $50 mil. Worley was a average corner and Coleman would hit salary cap too. WE can get Colby Gossett on the cheap!!!

We needed to clean house.

We just signed a good corner from the 'skins

And I believe Hurney who is not my favorite has learned his lesson.

Remember Gettleman botched the Ginn deal and would have gotten rid of Davis and Olsen.......

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:55 am

I am 100% in favor of all the Panthers off-season moves. :lol:

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:24 am

Agree, Norwell wasn't worth that kind of money and we spent a lot last year on Trai Turner & Matt Kalil. Unfortunately, the line still isn't good and now we're stuck with the Kalil contract. Have to hope Moton can take over at guard and that Williams develops at RT and Kalil doesn't completely collapse. Gossett would be a great pickup for the Panthers. J Stew's tires were balding, but I don't know who gets the tough yards now. Still need help at WR. Don't know that Torrey Smith is the answer and for the love of all that's right in the world, please send Bersin packing, permanently. I would like to see them find a replacement for Derek Anderson at backup QB. Would have liked to keep Star, but couldn't afford him. Need some Dline depth, hope Butler can step in. Like the Breland signing, still need some secondary help. Better draft another linebacker since TD is going to retire after this season. Also need some pass rushing, especially if Peppers doesn't return.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:06 pm

Matt kalil was a bad deal. We could have kept norwell if not for that contract. With Ryan kalil retiring after this season,there is definitely a need on the o line.
Not really sure how we can be so close to the cap, yet have so many holes and little depth as a whole.
Cam and Luke are really the only “superstars” in my opinion.
Just got an alert that peppers is coming back for 1 more season. That will definitely let us kick the can down the road on the D line for another year

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:39 pm

Tyrann matheiu was just released by the cardinals. Would like to see the panthers make a play for him. Someone needs to fill the void of Coleman and I’ve never been impressed by mike Adams

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:08 pm

Now we let Ed Dickson go, who showed to be a solid TE behind the aging Olsen, who announces he may retire in order to take a broadcasting gig. There have already been good TEs signed elsewhere during free agency. I don’t see how we won’t take a step back next season

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:19 pm

The Rock wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:08 pm
Now we let Ed Dickson go, who showed to be a solid TE behind the aging Olsen, who announces he may retire in order to take a broadcasting gig. There have already been good TEs signed elsewhere during free agency. I don’t see how we won’t take a step back next season
We had Luke Wilson in earlier this week and are meeting with Eric Ebron today. I think we'll be fine in the TE2 department.

I wouldn't worry about Greg either.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:17 pm

I like the Dontari Poe signing, helps make up for Lotulelei.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:12 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:17 pm
I like the Dontari Poe signing, helps make up for Lotulelei.
Huge pickup and big upgrade over Star. I often wondered if the guy was even close playing

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:32 pm

Looks like we're down a CB again:

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:53 pm

NO.2 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:32 pm
Looks like we're down a CB again:

Yeah, that is disappointing cause he was at least decent and proven, and probably the biggest area of need. Also missed out on matheiu. Hope we can add some experienced depth on that area soon

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”