Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Recommendation - Areas to live near Boone

Yosef84

Recommendation - Areas to live near Boone

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:48 am

Good morning, All!

A friend told me yesterday that he was trying to find out about good areas to live for a new faculty / professor at Appalachian. A friend of his has been hired and is looking for information. I am woefully uninformed on this topic. I know that housing in Boone is high, so where would new faculty generally look within a reasonable commuting distance?

I appreciate information that you all can provide. Information about areas to AVOID would be appreciated as well. :-)

GO APPS!!!

High Country Student
School: Appalachian State

Re: Recommendation - Areas to live near Boone

Unread post by High Country Student » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:32 am

I live over by Boone golf club. It's a fairly nice area of they can find anything available. They may want to look at Echota. Nice condos up there and a really nice facility however it may be tough on a snow day. I would check with the property manager though, they may keep the roads cleaned up on snow days. There is a pretty high maintenance fee or homeowners fee that goes toward a lot of things like that out there. If they are looking for cheaper options, a lot of folks that work up here live in Ashe county over in Jefferson and commute.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:43 am

All depends on what the prof is looking for... neighborhood vs land, view? New const? Schools? Rent? Own? I’d rent for a year and look if I was planning on being here for a long time. I will say when 221 into Ashe County is finished it will make housing boom. 20-30 minute commute to Boone right now

asu2000

Unread post by asu2000 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:00 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:48 am
Good morning, All!

A friend told me yesterday that he was trying to find out about good areas to live for a new faculty / professor at Appalachian. A friend of his has been hired and is looking for information. I am woefully uninformed on this topic. I know that housing in Boone is high, so where would new faculty generally look within a reasonable commuting distance?

I appreciate information that you all can provide. Information about areas to AVOID would be appreciated as well. :-)

GO APPS!!!
I am a real estate agent in the area and can help, I don't deal with rentals much but have been doing real estate for close to 20 years now. Happy to help send me a message and I can give you my contact info.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:41 pm

Not a lot of reasonably priced homes in town. Just sold our house near campus and it went under contract the second day on the market. It’s definitely a sellers market now for homes in the 200-300k range.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:30 pm

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 387#photo0

Low price on a 1bdr, 1 bath trailer on 3/4 acre. $49K. You probably need a helicopter to get to it. I went to check it out in 4WD and gave up before I got to it. Close to the Mall.

sugarapp

Unread post by sugarapp » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:00 am

I have a condo for sale by owner located on Sugar Mountain for $65K. Great view and quiet. Recently remodeled. Would be good for a single person or couple but probably too small for a family with children. One bedroom, one bath. Can sell furnished or unfurnished. Fireplace, small deck, queen size bed, TV with cable, internet. I mainly have used it as a place to escape for solitude and to be in the High Country for football and skiing. I retired recently and I'm traveling a lot. About 20 minutes drive to Boone (more or less depending on where one can park). If interested, PM me or contact via sugarcondo@yahoo.com.

kiddbrewer

Unread post by kiddbrewer » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:49 pm

https://www.century21.com/real-estate-a ... -P25335112

Todd Reeder sold me my place in Todd 6 years ago.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:02 pm

Valley Cruise is a nice area, country living and away from the cluster foxtrot. And, at the same time, close to the town (shops, hospital, restaurants, etc.)

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:18 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I do appreciate it. I'll relay the information and see if there is any additional info that my friend can provide. I do think that she would be looking to buy. I get the feeling the question is as much about commutable communities as it is about Boone itself.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:51 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:18 pm
Thanks for the input everyone. I do appreciate it. I'll relay the information and see if there is any additional info that my friend can provide. I do think that she would be looking to buy. I get the feeling the question is as much about commutable communities as it is about Boone itself.
Tell her to look for homes in Deerfield Forest and Deerfield Estates, as well. about 12 minutes to campus and good roads (relatively speaking.)

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:24 am

I'd recommend somewhere around Blowing Rock or Valle Crucis. Both will likely be a bit expensive but they're also very peaceful and far away from the students. Most students live inside the Boonedocks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”