Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

RIP: Dr. Charles Krauthammer

asu66
School: Appalachian State

RIP: Dr. Charles Krauthammer

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:46 pm

Charles Krauthammer, Great American; Pulitzer Prize-winning Washington Post columnist; Fox News commentator; intellectual giant; humorist; loving husband; proud father; lover of Border Collies; and #1 fan of the Washington Nationals...died earlier today at age 68. Sadly, his death was expected.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

scatman77

Re: RIP: Dr. Charles Krauthammer

Unread post by scatman77 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:11 pm

asu66 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:46 pm
Charles Krauthammer, Great American; Pulitzer Prize-winning Washington Post columnist; Fox News commentator; intellectual giant; humorist; loving husband; proud father; lover of Border Collies; and #1 fan of the Washington Nationals...died earlier today at age 68. Sadly, his death was expected.
Expected but still saddened. A great mind and great man gone too soon. HIs voice of reason will be missed.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:33 pm

A Tribute to Charles Krauthammer

By Cal Thomas | June 14, 2018 7:29 PM EDT

I have often thought that tributes to those we love are best made when the object of our affection is still with us, rather than at their funerals.

I do not know Charles Krauthammer well, though we would occasionally see each other at Fox News when I worked there and at Washington Nationals baseball games.

Others have commented on his brilliance, his dry wit and his skill at deconstructing arguments made by his political opposites. On “Special Report with Bret Baier,” a Fox News program on which he regularly appeared, his fellow panel members would sometimes sit in stunned silence following an argument he had made that seemed to them irrefutable.

Krauthammer had come a long way from his days as a speechwriter for Walter Mondale to political positions directly opposite those of his former boss. In this he was like Ronald Reagan, who also had studied and experienced the weakness of liberal domestic and foreign policies and found the conservative point of view a better path to solving problems.

What I have found most amazing about Charles is that despite an accident in his youth that left him paralyzed, he never complained, at least in my presence, and there is no public record of his having done so. Neither did he accept or embrace pity. He scooted around in his powered wheelchair and into and out of a van especially configured for him.

While he was unable to exercise his limbs, he exercised his mind to the great benefit of all those who have read his syndicated column and watched him on TV. He spoke slowly, partly from physical necessity, but also because it helped him make his points and demand a hearing. In the rapid-fire speech characteristic of cable TV, one was more likely to remember what Krauthammer said.

So much of our political discourse today sounds like regurgitated sound bites put out by the White House and the Democratic National Committee. Few speak of solutions with the historical knowledge and deep understanding that Charles possesses.

Like Reagan's final letter to the American people in which he announced he had Alzheimer's, but concluded on an optimistic note about the future of America, Charles wrote in his final column that he is grateful for the life he led. How many able-bodied people can say that? One might not expect such a sentiment from a man who has experienced the most extreme personal challenges, the last being cancer, which has taken over his body.

Charles Krauthammer has been an inspiration to me in many ways beyond his considerable talent. He has demonstrated that even if life seems to deal you a bad hand the game doesn't have to be over. Blind people are known to have enhanced abilities in other areas, such as hearing and touch. Charles overcame weakness in one area with superior strength in another.

When he announced recently that doctors told him he had just weeks to live, I thought of Frank Sinatra's song, “My Way.” It is a fitting epitaph on a remarkable and consequential life.

“And now the end is near

And so I face the final curtain

My friend I'll say it clear

I'll state my case of which I'm certain.

I've lived a life that's full

I've traveled each and every highway

But more, much more than this

I did it my way.”

God bless you, Charles.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:59 pm

Charles Krauthammer honored by Washington Nationals at ballgame after his death

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/06/2 ... death.html

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:04 pm

He will be greatly missed. Very intelligent man who always provided tremendous insight to complex issues while making you smile and laugh at his commentary.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:58 pm

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2009/08 ... rauthammer

is from a few years ago but an interesting read.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:23 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:58 pm

Interesting guy. He was one of the only ones on that channel who wasn't lying or crazy.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:03 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:23 pm

Interesting guy. He was one of the only ones on that channel who wasn't lying or crazy.
Careful guys, no need to nudge this into partisanship.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:24 pm

asu66 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:03 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:

No way not to once the original post was made. Dead or alive he was an opinion writer on a particular news channel and deserves a full view of his thoughts and writings. I don't think the post I referenced was anything but truthful. If anything was not accurate I will retract the post.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:02 pm

Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:24 pm
asu66 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:03 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:

No way not to once the original post was made. Dead or alive he was an opinion writer on a particular news channel and deserves a full view of his thoughts and writings. I don't think the post I referenced was anything but truthful. If anything was not accurate I will retract the post.
I agree, my first thought was what an odd venue for the multiple eulogies of a potential polarizing figure who likey would mispronounce Appalachian.

I think that 66 was directing the warning to me. I intended to state opinion as to the doctor's worth to an otherwise worthless facility. I gained respect for the doctor from your shared article.

BTW, I too have a Border Collie.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:01 am

He will be missed. Thank God for Fox News who saw fit to hire such a brilliant mind.

goapps

Unread post by goapps » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:06 am

I always respected his intellect but especially so these last few years as he chose to speak out against politicians that he felt were engaging in policies and rhetoric that threaten our democratic institutions regardless of the political party those politicians represented. He applied his arguments consistently even when it required him to criticize leaders of his own party and both sides should be able to respect that.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:50 am

I never listened to him much and his newspaper column did not run in the Greensboro paper so I did not read him much either.

I think you can respect a person for what he did but still call him out on other things, such as the ongoing war in the middle east. He was pretty wrong about that and I can't find anything where he was willing to give a mea culpa. I think to truly earn full respect for someone that calls out others (and he did this) he needs to also step up and call himself out.

I respect him more than about any othe rregular talking head on the Fox channels, but I am not sure he deserves to be put on some pedestal beyond reproach.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”