Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

RIP: Richard Harrison (Pawn Stars)

asu66
School: Appalachian State

RIP: Richard Harrison (Pawn Stars)

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:01 pm

Reality TV "star" Richard Harrison, "The Old Man" of PAWN STARS fame, has passed away at the age of 77. Harrison was born in Danville, VA but grew up in Lexington, NC from the time he was an infant through his high school years at LHS. He left Lexington to enlist in the U. S. Navy--an enlistment that would turn into a 20 year career. After his retirement from the Navy, he entered several private business ventures with his wife in Las Vegas before finding unbelievable success with the Gold & Silver Pawn Shop and a 15 years (and counting) run of Pawn Stars on the History Channel. Harrison is survived by his wife, JoAnne, and their three sons, Joe, Rick and Chris.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

MDaniels84

Re: RIP: Richard Harrison (Pawn Stars)

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:27 am

I was watching episodes last night and noticed that they had a message at the end of each one stating "In memory of Richard Harrison - 1941-2018". Seemed like a pretty nice fellow...

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:26 pm

From the Lexington Dispatch

http://www.the-dispatch.com/news/201806 ... stars-dies

By all of the accounts I've read, Harrison died after a three or four year battle with Parkinson's Disease. That's a tough twist of fate for a man who claimed to never have been sick a day in his life until the Parkinson's diagnosis. Despite Harrison's gruff or curmudgeon-like act on the show, he was apparently a loving and generous husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather in a close-knit family.
Last edited by asu66 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:16 pm

RIP as well to Vincent Paul "Vinnie Paul" Abbott of Pantera, Damage Plan, and HELLYEAH. He died at 54 on Friday. Examiners haven't released an official cause of death but they're calling it a "massive heart attack" in his sleep. It's well known that even at his age he still enjoyed the rock and roll lifestyle. Pure speculation I wouldn't be surprised if years of partying didn't just catch up with him.

If you're not familiar with the story, his brother Darrell aka "Dimebag Darrell" was shot on stage in 2004. An unhinged Pantera fan blamed him for the band's breakup, stormed the stage in Ohio, and shot him right in front of his brother.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:42 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:16 pm
RIP as well to Vincent Paul "Vinnie Paul" Abbott of Pantera, Damage Plan, and HELLYEAH. He died at 54 on Friday. Examiners haven't released an official cause of death but they're calling it a "massive heart attack" in his sleep. It's well known that even at his age he still enjoyed the rock and roll lifestyle. Pure speculation I wouldn't be surprised if years of partying didn't just catch up with him.

If you're not familiar with the story, his brother Darrell aka "Dimebag Darrell" was shot on stage in 2004. An unhinged Pantera fan blamed him for the band's breakup, stormed the stage in Ohio, and shot him right in front of his brother.
What was his role/character on Pawn Stars? Sometimes you just need to start a new thread to gauge other's interest.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:00 am

CVAPP wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:42 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:16 pm

What was his role/character on Pawn Stars? Sometimes you just need to start a new thread to gauge other's interest.
What does it matter? The death of a human being who made a significant contribution to this world should be recognized. But for what it's worth if you want to play six degrees....Old Man is from NC. Old man operated a store in Vegas. Vinnie owned a home (and eventually) died in Vegas.

Do we really need a separate thread for every single celebrity death? Wouldn't it get annoying and cluttered if we did?
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:23 pm

I think we should only have one Obit thread. Where was the mourning for Anthony Bourdain? Where is the mourning for the 22 vets that commit suicide a day? It gets old seeing a new obit thread nearly every day. People die. Trust me, I know.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:26 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:00 am
Do we really need a separate thread for every single celebrity death? Wouldn't it get annoying and cluttered if we did?
I am sorry for your loss, but it just does not resonate with me. I find it disrespectful to borrow from others on these matters. No big deal either way.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:30 pm

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:23 pm
I think we should only have one Obit thread. Where was the mourning for Anthony Bourdain? Where is the mourning for the 22 vets that commit suicide a day? It gets old seeing a new obit thread nearly every day. People die. Trust me, I know.
With you on Anthony. Feeling a loss. Still I am not convinced and Obit thread is the right approach. Technology allows us to differentiate.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:31 pm

CVAPP wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:30 pm
NoLongerLurking wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:23 pm
With you on Anthony. Feeling a loss. Still I am not convinced and Obit thread is the right approach. Technology allows us to differentiate.
Fair enough. Thanks for not blowing my sentiments out of proportion. You're right about not needing an Obit thread....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”