Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Fraternities at EZU

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Fraternities at EZU

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:50 pm

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local ... 58064.html

This one is old news but there are two more fraternities in trouble, but I can't find an article on them.
GREENVILLE
Another fraternity at East Carolina University has been shut down – the third closure this year.

The university announced Friday that Sigma Alpha Epsilon had been closed by its national organization following an investigation in conjunction with ECU. The fraternity had been placed on deferred suspension a year ago for violations of ECU’s and the fraternity’s hazing policy, as well as other policies.

The fraternity was put on a “redevelopment plan” after the suspension, but was not following the terms of the agreement, which led to the closure. The fraternity will be closed for a period of four years, ECU officials said.

“ECU shares, with the national organizations, alumni and advisors, the commitment to holding organizations and students accountable for actions that do not meet expectations,” Virginia Hardy, ECU’s vice chancellor for student affairs, said in a news release. “We will continue our efforts to strengthen our campus fraternities, sororities and all student organizations as a key part of the student experience at ECU.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

ericsaid

Re: Fraternities at EZU

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:56 pm

Part of rush for Sig Ep included drinking a fifth of liquor and the chugging several beers. I learned this at a party my freshman year and recognized the sleaziness of the Frat in general. Fraternities at ECU, and any other college I've been to, are nothing more than social drinking clubs. Sororities are service based, but Fraternities, at least since 2009, are used to peddle drugs and host parties.

appmaj

Unread post by appmaj » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:37 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:56 pm
Part of rush for Sig Ep included drinking a fifth of liquor and the chugging several beers. I learned this at a party my freshman year and recognized the sleaziness of the Frat in general. Fraternities at ECU, and any other college I've been to, are nothing more than social drinking clubs. Sororities are service based, but Fraternities, at least since 2009, are used to peddle drugs and host parties.
That’s a pretty big prejudicial generalization

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:21 pm

appmaj wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:37 pm
ericsaid wrote:
The behavior I've observed at Fraternities at colleges I have visited, and knowledge of their community outreach, validates my argument. The premise wasn't that all colleges and fraternities act this way, but the behavior at universities and fraternities i've come into contact with behave this way. Thus, it isn't prejudicial or a generalization to say that some fraternities fit my description. The term "some" has a very low burden of proof to validate.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:07 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:21 pm
appmaj wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
The behavior I've observed at Fraternities at colleges I have visited, and knowledge of their community outreach, validates my argument. The premise wasn't that all colleges and fraternities act this way, but the behavior at universities and fraternities i've come into contact with behave this way. Thus, it isn't prejudicial or a generalization to say that some fraternities fit my description. The term "some" has a very low burden of proof to validate.
Food Fight!!

appmaj

Unread post by appmaj » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:52 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:21 pm
appmaj wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
I’m not going to argue.

You didn’t use the word “some”.

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:02 pm

I love that Greek life isn’t big at App. Let’s not act like everyone signs up for philanthropic reasons. It’s an excuse to buy friends and get hammered.

Sig Ep was also shut down at App after they made pledges do sit-ups while their “brothers” urinated on them.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:01 pm

I wasn't in a fraternity at Appalachian, but I knew several members of various ASU frats who used it to develop leadership skills and network for their future. It's a social club for sure and I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with that. It can also diversify your resume if you take on certain roles and expose you to nationwide networking opportunities.

My wife was in Chi O at App and I got my fair share of Greek culture when we first started dating. I met some of the biggest douches on the planet and I met some totally normal people as well.

Greek life at App is small time. There are places like Auburn and Ole Miss where you'd have to be an anti-social pariah to not go Greek. I have no clue about ECU, but I suspect it's more similar to Appalachian. There's an oversampling of jerks in fraternities. I always had a theory that since App had such low per-capita frat membership, our frat culture was even douchier than SEC schools. Concentration of Douche is the title theory.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:08 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:01 pm
I wasn't in a fraternity at Appalachian, but I knew several members of various ASU frats who used it to develop leadership skills and network for their future. It's a social club for sure and I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with that. It can also diversify your resume if you take on certain roles and expose you to nationwide networking opportunities.

My wife was in Chi O at App and I got my fair share of Greek culture when we first started dating. I met some of the biggest douches on the planet and I met some totally normal people as well.

Greek life at App is small time. There are places like Auburn and Ole Miss where you'd have to be an anti-social pariah to not go Greek. I have no clue about ECU, but I suspect it's more similar to Appalachian. There's an oversampling of jerks in fraternities. I always had a theory that since App had such low per-capita frat membership, our frat culture was even douchier than SEC schools. Concentration of Douche is the title theory.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:46 am

Gonzo wrote:

Respect!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:55 am

Regarding fraternities, they are definitely social organizations, however, broad generalizations are a little unfair. I was in one for all 5 years at App and enjoyed my time there. The makeup of the group did evolve while I was there and I imagine reputations change with the turnover. Excluding my opinion of my own fraternity, there were a good number of Pikes and Delta Chi's, among others, that were very involved with service in the community as well as SGA and Ambassador's. Then there were some that solely existed for parties, beer and drugs.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:26 pm

NO.2 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:08 pm
Gonzo wrote:

She's not pretty enough for a trophy wife.
Google SUX

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:41 pm

1970s ... Frat = get hammered.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:41 am

I think everyone posting in this thread should be put on double secret probation.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:52 am

Toga! Toga! Toga!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:58 pm

Without fraternities, there would not be sororities. So on behalf of all fraternities, you are welcome. And in some cases, I'm sorry.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:25 pm

Best frat scene ever:

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:01 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:41 pm
1970s ... Frat = get hammered.
2010's...Frat=get drugged.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:03 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:25 pm
Best frat scene ever:
That was hilarious. ...the first hundred times I saw it. :roll:
Google SUX

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:21 pm

Yeah, classic scene for sure.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”