Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Boone Makeover

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Boone Makeover

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:02 am

I took a mini vacation to Boone this week with my wife to do some hiking. Boone has changed a lot along 321. I need some info on a few things. First off, what was previously on the sire where the Publix is currently located? What is The Standard? What is the the building next to McDonlads? Are those dorms/condos/hotels? Thanks for any help to feed my curiosity.

goapps

Re: Boone Makeover

Unread post by goapps » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:36 am

Publix is on the former site of Kmart. The building next to McD's are student apartments I believe.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:20 am

The Standard is the buildings around McDonalds. It's another failed "mixed" use" project that the town keeps allowing to be built. The apartments are of course at full capacity, but not one commercial unit has been rented. It's also a controversial project because of it's height. Another blown call by the town.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:40 am

It would be nice to see something move into the Standard ground floor, but not sure how it is a failure.

Did it move out retail that never came back?
Is the loan used to build the complex going into default leaving the town with a huge liability?

Is the town worse off financially?

Maybe just make the botton floor 100% parking would have been a viable option in leiu of shops ans restaurants.

I am not sure if I like the look. It is a bit imposing for Boone, but that is separate from being a failure. I would have liked cheaper apartments coming in personally.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:47 pm

For future reference, are the apartments there expensive? I'm guessing yes.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:57 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:47 pm
For future reference, are the apartments there expensive? I'm guessing yes.
My daughter told me the price and if what she was saying was correct then yes it was quite a bit per person, and I think parking was extra. That close to campus a student could walk or take the Appalcart, but I imagine those that can afford the rent will also have a car.

I can't rememer what rent is around but maybe per person $800 maybe.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:59 pm

Mixed use buildings were required by Town Council because they thought all the good real estate was being taken by student housing and leaving no room for businesses. So the demand that all mult-family residential building have a commercial space was added.
The unintended consequence of this is the fact that the developers are willing to take the calculated risk of “losing” money on the commercial aspect that is built but still make their money from the rentals.
It takes a little longer maybe to get their money back, but mostly that cost is just passed along to the renters of the apartments. Most owners seem to make the commercial space cost prohibitive and would rather have it sit vacant than to have to deal with leasing the space out.
All in all, it is a completely worthless requirement that hasn’t accomplished what their actual goal was, to deter student housing from being built, and has created a rather abandoned feeling throughout town with empty commercial space everywhere

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:19 pm

The Rock wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:59 pm
Mixed use buildings were required by Town Council because they thought all the good real estate was being taken by student housing and leaving no room for businesses. So the demand that all mult-family residential building have a commercial space was added.
The unintended consequence of this is the fact that the developers are willing to take the calculated risk of “losing” money on the commercial aspect that is built but still make their money from the rentals.
It takes a little longer maybe to get their money back, but mostly that cost is just passed along to the renters of the apartments. Most owners seem to make the commercial space cost prohibitive and would rather have it sit vacant than to have to deal with leasing the space out.
All in all, it is a completely worthless requirement that hasn’t accomplished what their actual goal was, to deter student housing from being built, and has created a rather abandoned feeling throughout town with empty commercial space everywhere
I wonder.... how is there no bar beneath the eyesore?

AtlantaMountaineer

Unread post by AtlantaMountaineer » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:54 pm

I can't see how anyone can complain about the Standard after considering what it replaced, the old run down roof sagging hotels that were there. I frequently bring visitors to App football games and it was so embarrassing to have to drive by those monstrosities near the entrance of campus. I was so happy to see them finally go.

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:43 pm

AtlantaMountaineer wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:54 pm
I can't see how anyone can complain about the Standard after considering what it replaced, the old run down roof sagging hotels that were there. I frequently bring visitors to App football games and it was so embarrassing to have to drive by those monstrosities near the entrance of campus. I was so happy to see them finally go.
You know that is the dang truth! That Scottish Inn alone gave me the willies. :lol:

AppRy

Unread post by AppRy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:34 pm

One of the goals for TC of mixed use may have been to deter student housing. But more importantly it should create walkable areas (ie King Street). In addition to the height, that’s the poor implementation of the requirement to the Standard. 321 is never going to be walkable there. If anything, commercial on the “back side” facing Faculty street would have been a better use. It has much more potential to be a walkable area.

All that said, my biggest issue is the thing is too damn tall for that area.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:16 pm

MDaniels84 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:43 pm
AtlantaMountaineer wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:54 pm
You know that is the dang truth! That Scottish Inn alone gave me the willies. :lol:
I am thinking the Scottish Inn gave people a lot more than the willies, though nothing penicillin could not cure.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:24 pm

AppRy wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:34 pm
One of the goals for TC of mixed use may have been to deter student housing. But more importantly it should create walkable areas (ie King Street). In addition to the height, that’s the poor implementation of the requirement to the Standard. 321 is never going to be walkable there. If anything, commercial on the “back side” facing Faculty street would have been a better use. It has much more potential to be a walkable area.

All that said, my biggest issue is the thing is too damn tall for that area.
I am not trying to defend the Standard but what about 321 is not walkable or never going to be walkable? In your view what needs to happen to make it walkable?

Safe road crossings (buttons to flip the Walk/Don't Walk lights and have those sorts of warning lights in place), a sidewalk that is not full of cracks/broken concrete/too narrow, and something to walk to. What is missing up and down 321?

AppRy

Unread post by AppRy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:04 pm

McLeansville- would you choose to walk down 321 in the same way you’d want to go for a walk down King St? Would you want to sit on a restaurant patio that faced 321 outside of Standard?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:13 pm

321 is certainly not as compelling at King Street, and that is not changing anytime soon but I still would not say 321 is not walkable. Being less compelling is not the same as not being at all.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:13 pm

321 is certainly not as compelling at King Street, and that is not changing anytime soon but I still would not say 321 is not walkable. Being less compelling is not the same as not being at all.

AppRy

Unread post by AppRy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:38 pm

I didn’t intended to start and argument of the definition of walkability. Generally speaking it should be something that creates a place. That’s what fosters a thriving atmosphere that supports retail/restaurant/commercial use. Being able to walk down a street does not mean it’s walkable in the city planning sense that I’m using it.

Look I’d love for 321 to be that. I’d much rather that than the mismatch of franchises that makes 321 look like an I77 exit when you enter town. I just don’t think you’re going to create an atmosphere that gets the AppSt parent or elderly blowing couple out for a stroll next to a 5 lane highway with no setback.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:05 pm

Good points.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:22 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:40 am
It would be nice to see something move into the Standard ground floor, but not sure how it is a failure.

Did it move out retail that never came back?
Is the loan used to build the complex going into default leaving the town with a huge liability?

Is the town worse off financially?

Maybe just make the botton floor 100% parking would have been a viable option in leiu of shops ans restaurants.

I am not sure if I like the look. It is a bit imposing for Boone, but that is separate from being a failure. I would have liked cheaper apartments coming in personally.
Explained by The Rock in a post below. There are other examples around town. It's not a failure are far as the developers are concerned, but it from the town planning perspective. The town really needs some new leadership and some term limits on council members.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”