Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Generator Suggestions

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Re: Generator Suggestions

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:44 am

HighPointApp wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:55 pm
ASU85Grad wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:26 pm
I got a Champion, duel fuel. Runs on gas or propane. What I like is with a couple of tanks of propane, I do not have to store gas. Propane last forever. No need to change it out every 6 months or so. If you do have it hard wired into your home, just make sure the box kills all power that could run out of the house. A friend of mine lost a brother after Hugo. Worked for a power company and picked up a line that was supposed to be dead. Person runnng a generator near by did not take any precautions and electricity ran down the line and killed him.
What wattage do you have?

Is it wired into your home?

What do you have on in your house while on generator power?

Thanks!!
I hope the person running this generator was held responsible. Involuntary manslaughter or something.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:02 am

And I just wrote a long epistle on my generator and the web browser closed on me just as I was about to send it. Let me recap.

I picked up a Champion at Costco a few years ago the night before an ice storm. It was the last one left at the store so I grabbed it figuring it was a sign. That is one time electricity in McLeansville did NOT go out.

It is dual fuel and that is nice. Some of the gas stations are still closed in McLeansville so the LP tanks work and I always keep two around for the grill and that means one is always full.

It has a battery and push button start and an easy way to charge said battery. It also has a pull cord if the battery dies.

The gas has 9000 W max and 8000 W running. The LP side maxs out at 8000 W and I think 7100 W running. I have my frig, and the three boxes I need to get my ATT fiber and router running. I have not bothered with the clothes washer or dryer or range but the unit I have does put out 120 V and 240 V.

I have a neighbor that is an electrician but stays busy so I don't have it hard-wired into my house but is on my to do list and has been for some time actually.

I have been pleased with it so far. It has been used 3/4 times now. I don't bother with the power is out for a few hours. McLeansville is looking at 11:45 pm on 16 Oct for power being restored.

ASU85Grad

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:17 pm

HighPointApp wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:55 pm
ASU85Grad wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:26 pm
I got a Champion, duel fuel. Runs on gas or propane. What I like is with a couple of tanks of propane, I do not have to store gas. Propane last forever. No need to change it out every 6 months or so. If you do have it hard wired into your home, just make sure the box kills all power that could run out of the house. A friend of mine lost a brother after Hugo. Worked for a power company and picked up a line that was supposed to be dead. Person runnng a generator near by did not take any precautions and electricity ran down the line and killed him.
What wattage do you have?

Is it wired into your home?

What do you have on in your house while on generator power?

Thanks!!

I got the small one, 4375 surge and 3500 running on gas. Little less on propane. Not hard wired into my home. I'll just use drop cord a to run my fridge, freezer and wood stove. It was $300 plus tax at Sams.

hAPPy4APP

Unread post by hAPPy4APP » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:53 pm

I had someone tell me that no matter how sick you are, you'll always outlive a Harbor Freight tool. While I think this is hilarious, I will say that I have a few Harbor Freight power tools and if they are tools you don't use very often, such as a brad nailer, stapler, etc they may be a good option since they are not expensive. I don't know about a generator. Central Pneumatic and Chicago are cheaper power tool brands at Harbor Freight, made in China. Something as important as this, when you are really counting on it, I'd be very cautious.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:25 pm

I have never heard that about Harbor Freight but I spit up my drink laughing so hard.

hAPPy4APP

Unread post by hAPPy4APP » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:39 pm

So did I. Thought it was so good I've never forgotten it. :)

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:46 am

I posted earlier with a recommendation for Champion gens and I stand by that. Dependable and lots of power for the money.

However, don't overlook Honda generators. Living in hurricane prone Wilmington, when we moved here in 2007, I added a whole house switch and bought a Honda 3800X model.

I've never regretted this setup or the cost. It won't power the heat pumps or electric water heater, but for everything else, it's great. It's never failed us after many, many uses. Most recently, Hurricane Florence knocked our power out for 7 days and except for fuel fills, it stayed on constantly. Sub-zero refrig, small freezer, dorm refrig, big tv, microwave, coffee maker, and any and all lights in the house never blinked. It's as close to not losing power as you can get.

hAPPy4APP

Unread post by hAPPy4APP » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:19 am

Thanks for sharing this. I've considered buying one for years, but I was only without power for a couple hours during Hurricane Hugo here in Icard, and couple times since for a few hours. Still toying with the idea . BTW I have a house in Carolina Beach, Carolina Sands. Went to a couple viewing parties in Wilmington back when Armanti was steering the ship.

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:32 am

I had to look up Icard. I can now take it off the list of places in NC I never heard of!

I still follow Armanti now with the Toronto Argonauts. Quote from S.J. Geene, slotback:

Argonauts.ca asked Green what Edwards brings to the offence.

“What doesn’t he bring to the offence?” Green replied. “Sure-handed pass catcher, he’s Mr. Reliable. A guy who always knows where to be at all times. You can get him the ball downfield, get him the ball intermediate, you can give it to him at the line of scrimmage and let him work. He’s a leader by example.”

I hope for his continued success but also look forward to him returning to NC and hopefully find a coaching position at App.

hAPPy4APP

Unread post by hAPPy4APP » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:54 pm

I don't know anything about the person asking the question, but I would be amazed that anyone who remotely follows football and has seen him play would even ask that question.

Totally agree. Would love to see him at the Rock in some capacity. What a recruiter he could be!!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”