Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Pit Bull Attacks 12 Year Old Girl

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Pit Bull Attacks 12 Year Old Girl

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:55 am

So most Pit owners say they are nice, gentle sweet dogs. BS
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/ ... 83935.html

October 31, 2018 09:49 AM

A 12-year-old girl suffered 49 puncture wounds when she was attacked this week by a pit bull in the family’s eastern North Carolina yard, the child’s mother told TV station WTVD.

Leteta Verbal says her daughter had to be hospitalized, and Verbal believes the dog should be euthanized because “he could have killed her,” the station reported Wednesday.

The Lee County Sheriff’s Office was quoted telling WFMY the attack happened about 3:30 p.m. Monday just outside of Sanford, when a neighbor’s dog got free and started chasing the girl in her own yard.

Sheriff’s Office investigators were quoted saying the girl suffered multiple cuts and puncture wounds before the the dog’s owner was able to restrain it, the station reported.

TV station WNCN identified the girl as Anasti Verbal and said she had just exited a school bus on Carr Creek Road when the typically chained-up dog came running.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

ASU2012

Re: Pit Bull Attacks 12 Year Old Girl

Unread post by ASU2012 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:11 am

There's idiot App fans out there, doesn't mean the majority aren't some of the best you'll ever meet. Dumb post

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:12 am

They are what their owners make them. It isn't the dog or the breed, it's the owners.

I have a co-worker who raises pit bulls the right way. They are big babies.

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:33 am

You're BS NewApp if you think all Pit breed dogs are/act the same.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:49 am

GregPercussion wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:33 am
Didn't say that, but Pits are responsible for more fatal attacks than any other breed 74%.

Read this link:https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-stati ... s-2017.php

39 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2017. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 900 U.S. cities, pit bulls contributed to 74% (29) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up about 6.5% of the total U.S. dog population.3
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:51 am

ASU2012 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:11 am
There's idiot App fans out there, doesn't mean the majority aren't some of the best you'll ever meet. Dumb post
See my other post below. Then see which post is dumb. Mine or yours.
Google SUX

ASU2012

Unread post by ASU2012 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:54 am

NewApp wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:51 am
ASU2012 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:11 am
See my other post below. Then see which post is dumb. Mine or yours.
Yours

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:59 am

Sad stuff.....and then we're on here fighting about it. That's even sadder.

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:12 am

NewApp wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:49 am
GregPercussion wrote:
Didn't say that, but Pits are responsible for more fatal attacks than any other breed 74%.

Read this link:https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-stati ... s-2017.php

39 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2017. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 900 U.S. cities, pit bulls contributed to 74% (29) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up about 6.5% of the total U.S. dog population.3
Reason why is because they're much stronger than other breeds. That's why apartments always ask if you have an "aggressive breed" (i.e. pitbull, Rottweiler, etc). Doesn't necessarily mean all are going to literally attack a human. It all depends on how the animal is being treated by the owner. Treat the dog with respect = dog treats anyone with respect. Treat the dog like crap....well, you get the idea.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:15 am

What does this have to do with the Coastal game?

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:56 am

Stonewall wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:15 am
What does this have to do with the Coastal game?

Umm. This is in the Non-Appalachian General Discussion folder.
Google SUX

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:06 am

NewApp wrote:
GregPercussion wrote:
Didn't say that, but Pits are responsible for more fatal attacks than any other breed [...]

Also Cline:
NewApp wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:55 am

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:37 pm

I have been silent this football season - as I promised - but I COULD NOT let this pass - I am 70 and have owned dogs since I was pre-school (back in the 1890s) - About 8 years ago we adopted a pitbull from the Greensboro shelter - he had been abused and had to have a front leg amputated before we adopted him (we have never owned this breed or any similar). At the time he joined our family we had another dog and 4 cats (all adopted or saved). For 7+ years he was harassed by the cats and occasionally by the other dog. NEVER ONCE he did as much as growl at the other pets. He was the sweetest, loving, caring, smartest and protective pet we have ever had. Over the years all of our others passed on and Wrennie was the only one left. A few months ago he passed away and I cried like a baby - It really PISSES ME OFF WHEN IDIOTS MALIGN THE ENTIRE BREED!!! A-holes like Michael Vick and others have made it worse. As was stated earlier - The PitBull is what the owners make them. Our PitBull was a Regal and Big-hearted member of our family - We miss him every day --- So F-Off to those who lump them all as bad ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:49 pm

30+ breeds of dogs and mixes are incorrectly identified as “pit bulls”* in dog bite incidents, attributing the pit bull with an unfair and overstated number of incidents (*pit bull is not technically a dog breed; breeds that are commonly referred to as pit bulls in the U.S. are American Staffordshire Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and American Bully)

What Breeds Have The Strongest Bite?
Below are the top 12 dogs with the strongest bite in terms of PSI (pound per square inch or pound-force per square inch), as reported by PetComments.com10. This list is not indicative of any specific animal and should only be viewed as a scientific study.

We certainly recognize that there are many well behaved and sweet dogs of these breeds, especially when paired with responsible owners.

Kangal: 743 PSI
English Mastiff: 556 PSI
Wolfdog: 406 PSI
Rottweiler: 328 PSI
African Wild Dog: 317 PSI
American Bull Dog: 305 PSI
Doberman: 245 PSI
German Shepherd: 238 PSI
American Pitbull: 235 PSI
Dutch Shepherd: 224 PSI
Chow Chow: 220 PSI
Malinois: 195 PSI

Are Pit Bulls Good Dogs?
Asking the question whether pit bulls are good dogs is the same as asking whether disadvantaged children are good children. A dog’s temperament depends on a variety of factors including breeding and upbringing (much like children.) What we do know from statistical analysis is that 86.8 percent of American pit bull terriers have passed their temperament testing according to the American Temperament Test Society, Inc. This is a higher number of American pit bulls to pass their testing than collies, beagles and even golden retrievers. Of 122 different canine types tested by the society, pit bulls ranked fourth for passing temperament testing. Pit bulls, like any other dogs, have the opportunity to be great dogs.

As many times previously, Cline doesn't let facts get in the way ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:57 pm

appst89 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:12 am
They are what their owners make them. It isn't the dog or the breed, it's the owners.

I agree here. The owners are responsible for sculpting the animal’s responses to situations. Unfortunately, Pits were bred specifically for 1800’s era “blood sports” and they are born with certain instincts that we could consider aggressive. They are an animal, and as all animals do, even humans, certain environmental circumstances can “trigger” natural responses for mainly defensive reasons. Dogs, while very intelligent, do not have the same capacity for higher level thinking when faced with “fight or flight”. It’s just like when some people get startled or scared and they throw a punch. But as people have stated here, you can condition your dogs responses and reward/discourage good and bad behavior.

Pits are dangerous, just as many other dogs, because of what they were initially bred for. But that does not mean they should be outlawed or killed, it just means they have to be trained and conditioned in certain ways. My bro-in law had a pit rescue and it was the most needy, helpless, soft batch cookie dog you would ever meet. That dog would never snap or bite under any circumstance, but it was due to its upbringing and the way they raised it too.
The Appalachian State

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:03 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:06 am
NewApp wrote:
GregPercussion wrote:
Didn't say that, but Pits are responsible for more fatal attacks than any other breed [...]

Also Cline:
NewApp wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:55 am
1."Most" is not "all."
2. Didn't they teach you to read at North Carolina Central while you were getting your law degree? My screen name is NewApp, not Cline. Perhaps you should re-enroll.
Last edited by NewApp on Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:05 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:57 pm
appst89 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:12 am

I agree here. The owners are responsible for sculpting the animal’s responses to situations. Unfortunately, Pits were bred specifically for 1800’s era “blood sports” and they are born with certain instincts that we could consider aggressive. They are an animal, and as all animals do, even humans, certain environmental circumstances can “trigger” natural responses for mainly defensive reasons. Dogs, while very intelligent, do not have the same capacity for higher level thinking when faced with “fight or flight”. It’s just like when some people get startled or scared and they throw a punch. But as people have stated here, you can condition your dogs responses and reward/discourage good and bad behavior.

Pits are dangerous, just as many other dogs, because of what they were initially bred for. But that does not mean they should be outlawed or killed, it just means they have to be trained and conditioned in certain ways. My bro-in law had a pit rescue and it was the most needy, helpless, soft batch cookie dog you would ever meet. That dog would never snap or bite under any circumstance, but it was due to its upbringing and the way they raised it too.
Finally, a voice of reason in this discussion.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:09 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:49 pm
30+ breeds of dogs and mixes are incorrectly identified as “pit bulls”* in dog bite incidents, attributing the pit bull with an unfair and overstated number of incidents (*pit bull is not technically a dog breed; breeds that are commonly referred to as pit bulls in the U.S. are American Staffordshire Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and American Bully)

What Breeds Have The Strongest Bite?
Below are the top 12 dogs with the strongest bite in terms of PSI (pound per square inch or pound-force per square inch), as reported by PetComments.com10. This list is not indicative of any specific animal and should only be viewed as a scientific study.

We certainly recognize that there are many well behaved and sweet dogs of these breeds, especially when paired with responsible owners.

Kangal: 743 PSI
English Mastiff: 556 PSI
Wolfdog: 406 PSI
Rottweiler: 328 PSI
African Wild Dog: 317 PSI
American Bull Dog: 305 PSI
Doberman: 245 PSI
German Shepherd: 238 PSI
American Pitbull: 235 PSI
Dutch Shepherd: 224 PSI
Chow Chow: 220 PSI
Malinois: 195 PSI

Are Pit Bulls Good Dogs?
Asking the question whether pit bulls are good dogs is the same as asking whether disadvantaged children are good children. A dog’s temperament depends on a variety of factors including breeding and upbringing (much like children.) What we do know from statistical analysis is that 86.8 percent of American pit bull terriers have passed their temperament testing according to the American Temperament Test Society, Inc. This is a higher number of American pit bulls to pass their testing than collies, beagles and even golden retrievers. Of 122 different canine types tested by the society, pit bulls ranked fourth for passing temperament testing. Pit bulls, like any other dogs, have the opportunity to be great dogs.

As many times previously, Cline doesn't let facts get in the way ---
My post said absolutely nothing about strength of bite, but did say Pits are responsible for 74% of deaths from dog attacks.
So, you are like Gonzo, can't read. My screen name is not Cline. It is NewApp. Reading is fundamental for most App grads.
Google SUX

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Uh oh, I feel like I’m in trouble now that Cline, err, uh, NewApp has cherrypicked my post and has used it to bolster his arguement.
The Appalachian State

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:18 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:16 pm
Uh oh, I feel like I’m in trouble now that Cline, err, uh, NewApp has cherrypicked my post and has used it to bolster his arguement.
Turn in your ASU Diploma. You can't read either. Haven't used Cline in two or three years at the least.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”