Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

MLS to Charlotte

ASU2012
School: Appalachian State

Re: MLS to Charlotte

Unread post by ASU2012 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:23 am

hapapp wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:51 pm
ASU2012 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:09 pm
hapapp wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:22 pm
ASU2012 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:16 am
ukappfan wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:07 am
I love soccer and am all for the MLS growing, but until Americans fully get behind soccer the MLS will continue to be a JV league to the rest of the world. There are just too many other sports in the US.
"Atlanta United set another Major League Soccer record for season attendance, finishing with an average of 53,002 per game at Mercedes-Benz Stadium."

"United officials said this year's average attendance was 17th highest in the world based on the 2017-18 season."
Let's not pretend that Atlanta is the typical franchise. The average for the league was just north of 20,000. That's overall a decent figure and soccer is clearly growing in popularity and is widely available for tv viewing. I'm just concerned that the talent pool can't keep up with the pace of expansion. I see the law of diminishing returns at work if the league expands too quickly. Half the league's franchises saw a dip in attendance as did the overall average.

With Austin as #27, the league is going to stop at 28 and I'm not sure Charlotte is first in line. Anything is possible but I think Charlotte would have leap over several other cities.
I think what you're seeing with Atlanta is going to be the "new norm" for expansion teams. Everyone said "no way soccer catches on in Atlanta" and look what's happened.

Also, no chance MLS stop at 28. It will most likely be 32, but 0% chance that 28 is the limit.
Eventually they may go to 32 but not in the immediate future. There are probably half a dozen cities a head of Charlotte.
I mean that's simply false. Again, Tepper is a billionaire. With a B. Three comma club. Everything has completely changed since the last "bid" (which was a complete abortion). Charlotte is now top of the list and it's all because of the man behind the bid.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:55 am

ASU2012 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:23 am
hapapp wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:51 pm
ASU2012 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:09 pm
hapapp wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:22 pm
ASU2012 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:16 am

"Atlanta United set another Major League Soccer record for season attendance, finishing with an average of 53,002 per game at Mercedes-Benz Stadium."

"United officials said this year's average attendance was 17th highest in the world based on the 2017-18 season."
Let's not pretend that Atlanta is the typical franchise. The average for the league was just north of 20,000. That's overall a decent figure and soccer is clearly growing in popularity and is widely available for tv viewing. I'm just concerned that the talent pool can't keep up with the pace of expansion. I see the law of diminishing returns at work if the league expands too quickly. Half the league's franchises saw a dip in attendance as did the overall average.

With Austin as #27, the league is going to stop at 28 and I'm not sure Charlotte is first in line. Anything is possible but I think Charlotte would have leap over several other cities.
I think what you're seeing with Atlanta is going to be the "new norm" for expansion teams. Everyone said "no way soccer catches on in Atlanta" and look what's happened.

Also, no chance MLS stop at 28. It will most likely be 32, but 0% chance that 28 is the limit.
Eventually they may go to 32 but not in the immediate future. There are probably half a dozen cities a head of Charlotte.
I mean that's simply false. Again, Tepper is a billionaire. With a B. Three comma club. Everything has completely changed since the last "bid" (which was a complete abortion). Charlotte is now top of the list and it's all because of the man behind the bid.
Marcus Smith was never a viable candidate. The only reason it was in the news was because it was Marcus and he was wanting to leverage it as an investment play. MLS was never interested in him because he wasn’t serious about it. The only ownership group that has been in play, up until now, has been Jim and the Queen City Soccer group.
The Appalachian State

App91

Unread post by App91 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:46 pm

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:02 pm

If St.Louis gets their act together and it appears they have, they are likely the next expansion target. I would think San Antonio is out after Austin was awarded number 27. I would think Phoenix would be Charlotte's chief competition for a spot.

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:59 pm

Raleigh stands as good a chance as Charlotte does at this point with neither team likely to get the last remaining spot for the foreseeable future though.

Honestly, I think the Triangle has the stronger intangibles to win it (but don't think they will). They are paired with the best women's team around, just hired a big name coach, and have the state colors with an easily recognizable name. BUT, the support here is weak. Weak following and weak ticket sales. However, just like Charlotte, lots of young kids are playing and interested in the game and their parents have money to spend. Unlike Charlotte I think the triangle would mostly be ok with public money to build a stadium downtown.

https://www.northcarolinafc.com/news_ar ... how/977962
https://www.northcarolinafc.com/news_ar ... how/861575
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:19 am

I talked to some people who said Raleigh did not have a big enough “player” in the triangle to draw the MLS there (at the time circa 2016). Aaron Davidson was the big “Soccer” guy there and his whole FIFA scandal pretty much disintegrated the RailHawks and corporate support for soccer around there.
The Appalachian State

ASU2012

Unread post by ASU2012 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:09 am

ASU2012

Unread post by ASU2012 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:35 pm

It's no longer a matter of if, it's now a matter of when.

"Panthers president Tom Glick confirms he and owner David Tepper will be in New York next week to meet with MLS as part of the group’s continued efforts to bring a franchise to Charlotte."

ugmw177

Unread post by ugmw177 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:49 pm

ASU2012 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:35 pm
It's no longer a matter of if, it's now a matter of when.

"Panthers president Tom Glick confirms he and owner David Tepper will be in New York next week to meet with MLS as part of the group’s continued efforts to bring a franchise to Charlotte."
Yep word on the street is this is going to happen. It really is about time as CLT has shown it can/will support big games with big attendance. Hopefully Tepper will finance and/or put together private investors and corporate support as city council and county commissioners are bush league when it comes to creative ways to make it happen.

As for those that think there is too much ATL support here, forget that. A charlotte franchise would probably equal the rivalry between the panthers and falcons. CLT also now has two of the three biggest youth clubs in the state and offer up ECNL and DA opportunities unrivaled so upcoming talent and fan support will continue to grow

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:24 pm

I will sell my Panther tickets to get MLS seats in CLT!!! I’ll get my good football in Boone

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:09 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:24 pm
I will sell my Panther tickets to get MLS seats in CLT!!! I’ll get my good football in Boone
Lmfao, why? They'll probably play in entirely different stadiums.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:13 pm

If this happens I hope the team works to develop a strong youth academy, possibly partnered with CASL in Raleigh Durham area would be great. I'm 704 for life, but I actually kind of agree Raleigh Durham is a better fit for an MLS team. However, Charlotte has Tepper so I expect us to get a team and not Raleigh. But yeah, developing a good youth academy will be vital to the future success of the team. FC Dallas is one of the more successful MLS teams and a huge reason why is because they've put a ton of resources into developing their youth.

I also wonder if Tepper would build his own stadium or use BofA. I'd love a 20,000ish seat stadium similar to Sporting KC's. I really think that's all we'd need. This is exciting, soccer is my favorite sport and I'd love to finally have an MLS squad to support.

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:56 pm

I think both NC teams are still on the outside looking in but here is a nice look at some rankings. They do mention that Charlotte's bid has improved but Raleigh's is still stronger at this point. Either way, NC will only get one team.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/mls-exp ... ob31e779pf
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:38 pm

This whole idea exploded into reality in April when MLS said they were going to 30 team ASAP, which was unexpected. Currently there's 24 teams, with Nashville and Inter Miami joining in 2020 and Austin FC in 2021 to make 27 teams. Sacramento and St. Louis have the exclusive rights to negotiate for #28 and #29, which could be announced later this month.

The 30 spot will be a mad dash and Tepper can't play around with Vegas and Phoenix moving forward with plans.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:50 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:09 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Because I can’t go to Panthers, App games AND MLS....I enjoy College football first then soccer...Panthers getting too expensive and I can watch on TV if I’m so inclined. Besides I’m still pissed the way they treated Armanti.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:03 pm

MountaineerMafia wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:56 pm
I think both NC teams are still on the outside looking in but here is a nice look at some rankings. They do mention that Charlotte's bid has improved but Raleigh's is still stronger at this point. Either way, NC will only get one team.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/mls-exp ... ob31e779pf
I'm not discounting the article, but I can ensure you that the MLS was very interested in bringing soccer to Charlotte. I referenced different reasons earlier in this thread, but Charlotte is a big target for MLS as long as the city and county can get on the same page. If it doesn't come here, it will be because of politics.
The Appalachian State

ugmw177

Unread post by ugmw177 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:57 am

diehardapp18 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:13 pm
If this happens I hope the team works to develop a strong youth academy, possibly partnered with CASL in Raleigh Durham area would be great. I'm 704 for life, but I actually kind of agree Raleigh Durham is a better fit for an MLS team. However, Charlotte has Tepper so I expect us to get a team and not Raleigh. But yeah, developing a good youth academy will be vital to the future success of the team. FC Dallas is one of the more successful MLS teams and a huge reason why is because they've put a ton of resources into developing their youth.

I also wonder if Tepper would build his own stadium or use BofA. I'd love a 20,000ish seat stadium similar to Sporting KC's. I really think that's all we'd need. This is exciting, soccer is my favorite sport and I'd love to finally have an MLS squad to support.
CLT does have a good youth academy [actually more opportunity with 2 major clubs offering DA level play, CSA and Independence] than Raleigh with NCFC [rebranded CASL].
From what i have heard, the one sticking point between tepper and MLS is he wants to use BofA stadium and they want a new stadium. With current CLT politics, i dont see a stadium with public funding happening any time soon.

ASU2012

Unread post by ASU2012 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:15 am

Rekdiver wrote:
If this is a monetary based decision, I don't think you will have to do that. I've seen the proposed seat map and pricing structure for PSLs and season tickets, they are extremely fan friendly.

If it's time/travel based, then that makes more sense.

ASU2012

Unread post by ASU2012 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:17 am

diehardapp18 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:09 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
No chance. If Charlotte gets MLS, they will share a stadium with the Panthers.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:28 am

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”