Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Shooting at UNC Charlotte

goapps93

Re: Shooting at UNC Charlotte

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed May 01, 2019 8:06 am

bcoach wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:02 am
It is not a priority, and until it is this will go on.
What is the "it" that isn't a priority? This is the important question.
WE ARE YOSEF!

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by bcoach » Wed May 01, 2019 8:47 am

goapps93 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:06 am
bcoach wrote:
The whole gun problem we have in this country. Lots of talk and no action. As with so many things the problem just gets kicked down the road. We always wait till a problem is totally out of control to even think about a solution.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:01 am

bcoach wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:47 am
goapps93 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:06 am
bcoach wrote:
The whole gun problem we have in this country. Lots of talk and no action. As with so many things the problem just gets kicked down the road. We always wait till a problem is totally out of control to even think about a solution.
There are no easy answers and the "it" is not just guns. I think the biggest "it" is how we treat people and how people are ill equipped to deal with one another. There has become a tendency to go to the extreme when things don't go our way. It's a much bigger issue than just guns. Yes, guns make it worse but we must address the causes of the violence and not just the means by which it is carried out.
WE ARE YOSEF!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Wed May 01, 2019 9:18 am

No matter if there is guns or not, there is a problem. Can't pretend there is a utopia anywhere, evil/crazy people are aplenty. Protection/security is about the only chance at stopping these people (unless there is people close enough to them to recognize what they may do to turn them in before they do it, but usually doesn't happen).

NWA49
School: Charlotte

Unread post by NWA49 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:37 am

Hey guys - I know we like to give each other hell. I just wanted to say thank-you to you all from Niner Nation for the kind thoughts and feelings here. We appreciate it.
Go Niners!
@Normbulance

appfan22

Unread post by appfan22 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:06 am

The problem is so much deeper than limiting access to guns and instituting effective preventative measures. Limit guns? You’ll see more cars speeding through crowded sidewalks etc.. There are endless means for committing what seems to be a motive-less crime. How can we stay one step ahead of it when we don’t understand the reason behind it? That’s what scares me the most.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Wed May 01, 2019 10:30 am

If you have never read this book or "On Killing" or ""On Combat" then you don't understand where the problem is being generated.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:38 am

appfan22 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:06 am
The problem is so much deeper than limiting access to guns and instituting effective preventative measures. Limit guns? You’ll see more cars speeding through crowded sidewalks etc.. There are endless means for committing what seems to be a motive-less crime. How can we stay one step ahead of it when we don’t understand the reason behind it? That’s what scares me the most.
This is similar to comments I've made on this topic for a long time. I'm an avid target shooter and yes, I have a CWP and own several guns. Regardless of my opinion, there are opportunities to improve background checks and make that common sense improvements that even the NRA supported in the 90's before our political environment became super charged. Regardless though, gun control isn't the root cause of these acts. The dismantling of the mental health programs at schools (de-funding) and those available to the general public is something that needs to be looked at. The availability of a ready made platform for publicity (social media / internet) also feeds the issue for those who are seeking their 15 minutes of fame at any cost. This issue isn't simplistic and it deserves a cooperative look to determine how to reverse this trend. I wish I knew the answers but I don't. I wish SOMEBODY knew the answer.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:43 am

HighPointApp wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:30 am

If you have never read this book or "On Killing" or ""On Combat" then you don't understand where the problem is being generated.
Don't realy have to read those books to understand the effect of the media in our society. Looks like interesting reading though.
WE ARE YOSEF!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Wed May 01, 2019 10:48 am

From the talk on the radio in CLT today a lot of media are still using the asshole's name a lot, etc. They have to stop doing that it makes them seem famous and takes the chance of people wanting to be like him.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Wed May 01, 2019 10:53 am

goapps93 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:43 am
HighPointApp wrote:

Don't really have to read those books to understand the effect of the media in our society. Looks like interesting reading though.
I recommend Grossman's books for everyone. Especially anyone in law enforcement, first responders, military etc. Mentally being prepared to take a life in order to protect oneself or others is a must have. It's not as simple as people think.

I have heard Grossman's presentations 3 times for law enforcement. One of the most powerful, mind opening things I have been a part of in law enforcement.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Wed May 01, 2019 10:55 am

biggie wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:48 am
From the talk on the radio in CLT today a lot of media are still using the asshole's name a lot, etc. They have to stop doing that it makes them seem famous and takes the chance of people wanting to be like him.
Agreed.

Hopefully action is taken swiftly to prosecute and prevent these types of tragedies in the future.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed May 01, 2019 1:07 pm

NWA49 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:37 am
Hey guys - I know we like to give each other hell. I just wanted to say thank-you to you all from Niner Nation for the kind thoughts and feelings here. We appreciate it.
Tragic events such as yesterday remind us of things that really matter in this world. Our universities are close enough in proximity that we share many close friends and relatives. We'll talk smack and compete on another day; today, we stand in unity with you, and pray for your students, staff, families, and community.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 01, 2019 1:11 pm

HighPointApp wrote:

When are we going to look at video games as a possible factor in all of these tradgedies. Games like GTA and Call of Duty glorify violent acts and desensitize people to the value of human life.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed May 01, 2019 1:17 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:11 pm
HighPointApp wrote:

When are we going to look at video games as a possible factor in all of these tradgedies. Games like GTA and Call of Duty glorify violent acts and desensitize people to the value of human life.
The book in the link addresses that, and more.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed May 01, 2019 1:21 pm

The condition of the human heart has not improved since the days of Cain and Abel. Societies , institutions and governments took effort to, at a minimum, attempt to reign in people's worst instincts but lately those efforts have been deemed culturally repressive .Personal responsibility is a thing of the past.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Wed May 01, 2019 1:34 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:11 pm
HighPointApp wrote:

I think its important to point out that, at the very least the science on this topic is ambiguous at best. Any solution (if one exists) to these tragedies happening at such an alarming rate must be multi-faceted. There is a complex set of cultural phenomena that exist in which this almost uniquely American issue arises. I don't know the answer, but i believe any lasting answer must address multiple issues: gun control, mental health, affect (if any) of violence in media, etc.

As a gun owner, i've come to believe how we are currently regulating firearms is not effective in mitigating that aspect of the mass shooting phenomena. It is time we adopt some more proactive measures to limit access to firearms. I would be on board with increased back ground checks, closing the gun show loophole, presenting proof of purchase of proper gun storage equipment to purchase firearms, required mental health evaluation for hand gun purchase, and more that make sense.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed May 01, 2019 1:51 pm

Hopeless

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed May 01, 2019 2:57 pm

My daughter started at App and transferred to UNCC. Didn’t like App. One factor was that App was way, way, way to political. UNCC has had none of that, in fact her professors have gone out of there way to stay out of politics and just teach the subject matter. But that’s another topic. She was on campus last night but quickly moved to a friends apartment near by. I was at App when we had a fellow student murdered by a person I went to high school with. I didn’t know the young man who was killed but I was mad as hell. Somebody invaded my home and killed a member of my family. As a parent of a student at UNCC I feel the same way, mad as hell. I agree with what most of you guys are saying. Sensible gun control is needed but it will not solve this issue. A person who is bent on doing this doesn’t care about the law and he will get a gun. I thing valance in video games and on tv plays a role as well. I also believe that technology is causing us to be less connected as human beings. But I think there is another issue that no one talks about. I’ve been mocked and laughed at for saying this, but mass abortion plays a big role in denigrating the respect folks have for human life. When you can start an life and end a life in just a few weeks and think the only consequence is the $200 you spent for the procedure it’s not long until your numb. I’m not just talking about the abortion, even more destructive might be the fact that the abortion allows us to give little thought to the awesome power we have to start life and the awesome responsibility we should have to then care for and fight for that life with everything we are and have. I know it’s a touchy and complicated subject but a society can’t start and end 800,000 plus lives a year and see no effect.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed May 01, 2019 3:19 pm

IF limiting or even completely banning all guns would actually stop the problem, I would be all for it. Unfortunately it won’t, and the amount of guns that are owned at this time can never be accounted for or rounded up. Criminals will find a way to commit crimes no matter what the laws are. It does seem like these events happen often in “gun free zones” although there is no guarantee the results would be any different or better or worse if the population was also armed.
Evil exists and we cannot stop it.
I wish there was an answer but I really don’t feel like there is.
Statistically, we have about the same chance of dying in a mass shooting as being killed by lightning, and when compared to many other countries, we still have an extremely safe living environment. Only thing I can say is to appreciate every day on this earth with your loved ones, and always be aware of your surroundings and have a plan in place for the worst case scenarios.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”