Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Shooting at UNC Charlotte

Appster99
School: Appalachian State

Re: Shooting at UNC Charlotte

Unread post by Appster99 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:30 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:23 pm
I can only laugh or cry. Laugh to hide the sincere sorrow or cry for those hurting.

I have emailed the cabin to delete my profile.

I no longer find camaraderie and joy for our young student athletes on Yosef's Cabin.

In the FCS days especially, it was great to come here to find tidbits of press about our Mountaineers. Now the media covers our success as a rising FBS program and the University, including my son, does an incredible job with getting information out on dozens of outlets daily.

I am not sorry that I am a liberal and I have guns in my house but just about every one who thinks like me has abandoned this forum already.

I apologise Appster99. I felt the same delusion and attack on my values and statements as you felt towards my comments.

Go Mountaineers
Apology accepted. If we were to ever meet in person I would offer to buy you a $12 beer at a football game where we kick the sh!t out of whoever comes up the mountain to challenge us! Go Apps!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed May 01, 2019 9:31 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
I can only laugh or cry. Laugh to hide the sincere sorrow or cry for those hurting.

I no longer find camaraderie and joy for our young student athletes on Yosef's Cabin.

In the FCS days especially, it was great to come here to find tidbits of press about our Mountaineers. Now the media covers our success as a rising FBS program and the University, including my son, does an incredible job with getting information out on dozens of outlets daily.

I am not sorry that I am a liberal and I have guns in my house but just about every one who thinks like me has abandoned this forum already.

I apologise Appster99. I felt the same delusion and attack on my values and statements as you felt towards my comments.

Go Mountaineers
It’s OK to come on here and have productive conversations, but name calling and political views aren’t ever going to be agreed upon by everyone, so no need to state them.

I personally love this board and while I have other sources within the program for information, I enjoy sharing and discussing on here. The board admins do a great job running this and Moose is the man. Like I said before, we need to all look for ways to positively influence others around us and not depend on someone else to do something. Be active in your community and with youth, it will all make a difference.

Go Apps! I love the App Alumni base!
The Appalachian State

App91

Unread post by App91 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:33 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:57 pm
Appster99 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:32 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:18 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:44 pm
No one Seriously is targeting legal gun owners. The 2nd amendment ain’t going anywhere. BUT There are things that can be done.
Do you really need an AR-15?
Do you really need high capacity mags?
Can’t you wait a while longer to get the gun?
What’s wrong with a national database?
Do you need a gun before 21?
Yes, improve mental health screenings?
Have non lethal defensive weapons available for teachers. (A teacher with a gun might have ended me)

Give up any discussion or debate. These people are beyond being able to question any of their strict self beliefs and only statements that validate their predetermined believe system can be rationalized. This is a group of hopefully soon to expire old farts sitting in their underwear in the trailer.
This type of response with demeaning name calling is childish and does not promote healthy debate. In one sentence you wish the death of a group of individuals you clearly believe is beneath you. Gotta love the spirit of inclusion. That line of thinking is liberal bullying that causes such a person to snap and start shooting those who have decreased his self worth to the point of mental instability.
Oh well..... You're a pansy so come shoot me up you mentally unstable gun Nazi.
thanks, you just removed all doubt about your motivations... you have no clue. You do not wish to debate or search for ideas, your belief are all that matters.
In order of above.
Yes, If i so choose
You clearly have never shot one, when you do, you can answer that question on your own
Already had to, about 3 months when i did my background in Meck county to purchase my firearm AT A GUN SHOW! as is the case with 99% of gun shows. The loophole thing is fallacy
We already have a national database-you dont remember the one where the navy did not notify the database of the mentally unstable discharge?
Can't an 18yr old tote one in battle
Non lethal is non useful-see taser.
These arguments are regurgitated without regard to actual truth, but somehow couched in language call "common-sense". They are so common-sense that they are common-place.

The young man from Waynesville is a Hero and should be celebrated as such.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed May 01, 2019 9:37 pm

My coworker who works out of our Asheville branch knew the kid and his family. He said the town is devastated today. I hope to never be in that situation, but I’d like to think that I would be willing to sacrifice myself to try and save others. A true hero!
The Appalachian State

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:41 pm

Several national articles only saying the police disarmed the shooter. Those stories need to be amended to include the heroics of Riley Howell.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:32 pm

asu66 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:26 pm
This situation will improve when families world-wide start teaching the Ten Commandments and the difference between right and wrong to their children and then holding their children accountable for their attitudes and actions during their formative years--birth to age 18. You know..in that perfect world... :cry:

Sadly, that horse has been out of the barn for 20 centuries plus...

Go volunteer in a public school 5th grade classroom for a day; then follow that up by volunteering at a public high school for a day. There's an experience in real-world culture shock for ya!
This is the dumbest thing on the internet.

CheckYosef94

Unread post by CheckYosef94 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:33 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
No one Seriously is targeting legal gun owners. The 2nd amendment ain’t going anywhere. BUT There are things that can be done.
The 2A isn't really about need. But an AR-15 is about the easiest recoiling firearm out there making it fantastic for home security especially for women and people of smaller stature (the Charlotte shooter used a handgun).

By high capacity I'm assuming you mean the standard 30 round AR mags? The Parkland shooter used 10 rounders.

If a woman is being stalked by a crazy ex and is buying a gun for personal protection how is waiting longer to get a gun going to benefit her?

I'm assuming you are talking about a gun registration. In many cases, registration leads to confiscation. And even if it doesn't, if you're goal isn't to confiscate guns from law abiding citizens how is knowing what guns I own going to stop a murderer?

At 18 you are an adult and can be living on your own. So yes, you may need a gun for personal protection before you are 21.

Absolutely, let's do our best to help people that need it.

Have non lethal defensive weapons available for teachers. (A teacher with a gun might have ended me)
I'm not trying to be confrontational or a smart-a**. I work at a gun store, guns are literally my job. These are situations that customers approach me with everyday.
The mountains are calling and I must go

CheckYosef94

Unread post by CheckYosef94 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:38 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Give up any discussion or debate. These people are beyond being able to question any of their strict self beliefs and only statements that validate their predetermined believe system can be rationalized. This is a group of hopefully soon to expire old farts sitting in their underwear in the trailer.
Name calling always screams "I want to have a discussion." 25 years old here. I work as a gun salesman and see young men and women everyday purchasing firearms for various reasons. Sorry if these destroys your "old fart" narrative.
The mountains are calling and I must go

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Thu May 02, 2019 12:55 am

Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:47 am

NO.2 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:32 pm
asu66 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:26 pm
This situation will improve when families world-wide start teaching the Ten Commandments and the difference between right and wrong to their children and then holding their children accountable for their attitudes and actions during their formative years--birth to age 18. You know..in that perfect world... :cry:

Sadly, that horse has been out of the barn for 20 centuries plus...

Go volunteer in a public school 5th grade classroom for a day; then follow that up by volunteering at a public high school for a day. There's an experience in real-world culture shock for ya!
This is the dumbest thing on the internet.
asu66 has been in public education pretty much his entire career. I retired after 38 years in public education. His suggestion to volunteer in a classroom is a good idea if you want to get in touch with our young folks' attitudes and behaviors. For years I've followed what I called the "5% rule." Five percent of the population make life miserable and difficult for the rest of us. I have taught students who not long after that year ended up in jail for making threats. One was arrested and declared a terrorist. My point is the students of today have not been taught how to "suck it up" and deal with situations. They (over)react and feel that discussion, dialogue, compromise, and reaching an accord are not acceptable. Is his comment the "dumbest thing on the internet?" Not even close; not as long as there is a Kardashian or people from WalMart out there. I would however be interested in your explanation as to why you think his comments are so dumb.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu May 02, 2019 8:17 am

Thank you Scat , thank you.66 may well be one of the finest men to ever wear the Black and Gold.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu May 02, 2019 8:22 am

HighlandsApp wrote:

Go Mountaineers
Claim higher ground, insult others that don't agree, get called out, play the victim, runaway, I feel sorry for people like this on both sides of the aisle. There are many reasonable liberal and conservative views on here, and most posters are civil to others ideas.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu May 02, 2019 8:24 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Wishing for the death of people who do not share your beliefs on a particular issue. Chilling. Unforgivable.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu May 02, 2019 8:49 am

We should probably take the gun control debate to a different thread. Unfortunate that this thread has been tainted by both conservative and liberal talk. Occurrences like this should be bringing people together, not dividing them. If you disagree with someone and find what they say idiotic (lots of that on here, lol!), either ignore them or reply in a respectful manner. My suggestion would be to ignore them, however, as if what they are saying is idiotic, engaging in a debate with a fool will also make you look a fool.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu May 02, 2019 9:37 am

Jesus.... you dont use an AR-15 for home defense unless zombies are attacking. A good glock would suffice.
I offer solutions and all i get is pushback and weak excuses. Nothing gonna change.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Thu May 02, 2019 9:47 am

Watch the video I posted. End of story.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu May 02, 2019 9:51 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:49 am
We should probably take the gun control debate to a different thread. Unfortunate that this thread has been tainted by both conservative and liberal talk. Occurrences like this should be bringing people together, not dividing them. If you disagree with someone and find what they say idiotic (lots of that on here, lol!), either ignore them or reply in a respectful manner. My suggestion would be to ignore them, however, as if what they are saying is idiotic, engaging in a debate with a fool will also make you look a fool.
Thank you! I agree. This thread should try to focus on the events on campus in Charlotte. General comments were initially done in a sane and respectful way, but unfortunately this morning's comments have included some really inappropriate and disrespectful posts. I appreciate those who maintain civility in a discussion, regardless of whether I share their opinion. As a nation, that is a skill we need to improve.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu May 02, 2019 10:30 am

Just ask yourself this question. "Would i feel different if it was your child at Sandy Hook?"

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu May 02, 2019 10:44 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu May 02, 2019 10:45 am

:lol:
Gonzo wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:44 am

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic