Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Shooting at UNC Charlotte

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Shooting at UNC Charlotte

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:54 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:30 am
Just ask yourself this question. "Would i feel different if it was your child at Sandy Hook?"
How would you feel about alcohol if a loved one was killed by a drunk driver? How about if you lost a loved one due to someone texting and driving? My point is that there is no amount of enforceable laws to diminish the pain of human loss. There are laws against drinking and driving yet DUI's are handed out daily.

So to answer your question, I would not want to experience the pain that those parents feel every day. That being said, why blame an object that cannot make a conscience decision to act on it's own?

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu May 02, 2019 10:57 am

HighPointApp wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:47 am
Watch the video I posted. End of story.
Great video. Hits on the realities of the situation. Unfortunately, most people do not want a rational conversation (which is ironically touched on in the video).

Thank you for posting.
The Appalachian State

CheckYosef94

Unread post by CheckYosef94 » Thu May 02, 2019 11:01 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:37 am
Jesus.... you dont use an AR-15 for home defense unless zombies are attacking. A good glock would suffice.
I offer solutions and all i get is pushback and weak excuses. Nothing gonna change.
People use AR-15s for home defense all the time. ARs are easier to use and recoil less making them ideal for many people in home defense scenarios.
Last edited by CheckYosef94 on Thu May 02, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The mountains are calling and I must go

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu May 02, 2019 11:06 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:54 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Just ask yourself this question. "Would i feel different if it was your child at Sandy Hook?"
How would you feel about alcohol if a loved one was killed by a drunk driver? How about if you lost a loved one due to someone texting and driving? My point is that there is no amount of enforceable laws to diminish the pain of human loss. There are laws against drinking and driving yet DUI's are handed out daily.

So to answer your question, I would not want to experience the pain that those parents feel every day. That being said, why blame an object that cannot make a conscience decision to act on it's own?
You are right. My father was shot 3 times in the line of duty here in Charlotte and made it out alive miraculously. Retired now, he is still a gun owner and has no biases towards guns or the neighborhoods that produced the type of person that tried to murder him. He knows that change comes by loving others and working to improve our community. He was one of the architects of Community Policing, and taught it across the country, all of this AFTER he was almost killed.

While I did not follow his career footsteps, I do lead Corporate Stewardship at my company and have a great relationship partnering with the CMPD here in Charlotte, among other groups to improve our community. These are the steps to improving this problem.
The Appalachian State

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu May 02, 2019 2:44 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:44 am
I am not sure how I feel about someone besides myself or AppinVa posting a Simpsons clip. I'll need to get back with you on this but it could lead to a paddlin'.

This is my very generic signature added to each post.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu May 02, 2019 3:17 pm

This will be my last comment on this thread as it has left me very discouraged.
If you want to know why there is no real solution being worked on read this thread from start to finish. Way too many people do not want to find a middle ground. Compromise has become a dirty word. We do have a gun problem and I am not sure how that can be denied. Does not mean all guns should be confiscated but it does mean there are way too many than necessary or they would not be in the wrong hands. A great start would be to see just how they are getting into the wrong hands. Are they already out there? Sure there are thousands upon thousands but should we not start somewhere? Should we not start something while starting to work on mental health issues. What do we do about those kids mentioned above? I don't really know. Way too many parents are doing a horrible job and we need educators to be able to handle a problem without parents and central office pouncing on them. This problem has many heads but with inaction the heads will multiply. We need to come together, get off the hard line attitudes and really work on a solution together. The problem is much larger than just guns but you must admit that there are not a lot of drive by knifing s. Seriously folks we need the same unity in facing this problem as we have about our football team. Love my football but isn't this more important?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu May 02, 2019 3:38 pm

Jack Johnson has a great song covering this.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Thu May 02, 2019 7:40 pm

This will be my last comment on this thread. Quit hatin'. And, I should be able to protect my transgendered marijuana farm with an AR-15 while not paying a cent to the government in taxes as long as the 20 year war in afghanistan ends and we all acknolwedge our social security won't be available to us, and I need this ashtray.... then I'm gone.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu May 02, 2019 8:34 pm

In the 1960s anyone in America could purchase an M1 Carbine through the mail from Sears and Roebuck. 15 or 30 round clip. Same issue as WW2 and Korea era standard US Army rifle. Semiautomatic. 30 Caliber.Designed for one purpose , to kill human beings.

HuskyRef

Unread post by HuskyRef » Fri May 03, 2019 5:41 am

Hi, i don't post a lot, mostly lurking around football season....prayers up for UNCC as i worked from 16-17 in Campus Housing.

I had an uncle that was released from a mental hospital in Michigan in the late 90's due to budget cut. He got home, the next day he hung himself.

My perspective is that we need to focus on mental health as much, if not more, than physical health. You see all these Urgent Cares and Minute Clinics on every corner, i would like to see the same for mental health. We need to focus efforts there.

I will not speak on the gun debate, as i am not informed enough. But bad people do bad things, and will find a way. Boko Haram have slaughtered thousands of Christians in Africa the last year. Even though these groups have guns, they prefer to dismantle with machetes.

hAPPy4APP

Unread post by hAPPy4APP » Fri May 03, 2019 7:04 am

I grieve with the UNCC family, the families of the loved ones, and our nation. Most of you don't remember when students drove the family truck to school with a gun and/or shotgun in the gunrack or behind the seat, windows down in warm weather. These many guns never attacked anyone at my high school or schools like ours. No, I know this can't happen again in our society, but our society is exactly the point. We have a people problem and not a gun problem. I wondered when the AR15 would get the scorn again, but uninformed people don't realize that AR15s are responsible for few of the violent deaths. Knives and blunt objects, like hammers are more likely to be used than an AR15. I don't NEED an AR15 but I don't NEED 8 season tickets for football, nor do I NEED to be a Yosef member or Kiwanis Club member. My antique BB gun collection was not DESIGNED to become wall décor in my game room but its now repurposed to another enjoyment. Guns or no guns, ignore that people/society are the problem and the craziness WILL continue.

mgsouth

Unread post by mgsouth » Fri May 03, 2019 8:19 am

This whole tragic event is not really about guns even though a gun was used to kill and hurt more innocent people. This is about evil. As a Christian, I believe in the God of the Bible and I believe in Satan. Satan has is having a field day influencing people who live in a day in which so many give no credibility/reality to anything "spiritual." The cure for evil is Christ. Get more people saved and living according to the teachings of the Bible and we will see less tragic events like this. You have to change people's hearts not what they own in the way of weapons. Evil people will find a way to do this kind of stuff without a gun. I know a lot people will probably disagree with me but this is how i feel. Go APP!

App91

Unread post by App91 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:22 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Understand the sentiment and shudder at the thought. That said, any decision made from emotion is by definition a poor decision.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri May 03, 2019 3:17 pm

mgsouth wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:19 am
This whole tragic event is not really about guns even though a gun was used to kill and hurt more innocent people. This is about evil. As a Christian, I believe in the God of the Bible and I believe in Satan. Satan has is having a field day influencing people who live in a day in which so many give no credibility/reality to anything "spiritual." The cure for evil is Christ. Get more people saved and living according to the teachings of the Bible and we will see less tragic events like this. You have to change people's hearts not what they own in the way of weapons. Evil people will find a way to do this kind of stuff without a gun. I know a lot people will probably disagree with me but this is how i feel. Go APP!
I agree

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri May 03, 2019 7:40 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:17 pm
mgsouth wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:19 am
I agree
Me too. Go out and be a positive influence. Show people Love. Christianity is defined by the idea of "loving others" without regard or stipulations.
The Appalachian State

hAPPy4APP

Unread post by hAPPy4APP » Fri May 03, 2019 7:52 pm

Totally agree. Pure evil in society at large. Classrooms. business and politics have more than their share as Satan goes about his agenda. Illinois, California and New York nullified the gun law debate IMOP and has proven gun laws don't prevent evil. Evil finds a way, regardless. Pray hard my friends.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sat May 04, 2019 2:58 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:38 pm
Jack Johnson has a great song covering this.
There are no great Jack Johnson songs

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:17 am

scatman77 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:47 am
NO.2 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:32 pm
asu66 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:26 pm
This situation will improve when families world-wide start teaching the Ten Commandments and the difference between right and wrong to their children and then holding their children accountable for their attitudes and actions during their formative years--birth to age 18. You know..in that perfect world... :cry:

Sadly, that horse has been out of the barn for 20 centuries plus...

Go volunteer in a public school 5th grade classroom for a day; then follow that up by volunteering at a public high school for a day. There's an experience in real-world culture shock for ya!
This is the dumbest thing on the internet.
asu66 has been in public education pretty much his entire career. I retired after 38 years in public education. His suggestion to volunteer in a classroom is a good idea if you want to get in touch with our young folks' attitudes and behaviors. For years I've followed what I called the "5% rule." Five percent of the population make life miserable and difficult for the rest of us. I have taught students who not long after that year ended up in jail for making threats. One was arrested and declared a terrorist. My point is the students of today have not been taught how to "suck it up" and deal with situations. They (over)react and feel that discussion, dialogue, compromise, and reaching an accord are not acceptable. Is his comment the "dumbest thing on the internet?" Not even close; not as long as there is a Kardashian or people from WalMart out there. I would however be interested in your explanation as to why you think his comments are so dumb.
It comes off as "These kids weren't raised exactly like we were back in the day so the world is going to shit!"

Kids don't need the 10 commandments, or any facet of religion at all, to keep them from shooting up schools or becoming good people.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:48 am

NO.2 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:17 am
scatman77 wrote:
NO.2 wrote:
asu66 wrote:
This situation will improve when families world-wide start teaching the Ten Commandments and the difference between right and wrong to their children and then holding their children accountable for their attitudes and actions during their formative years--birth to age 18. You know..in that perfect world... :cry:

Go volunteer in a public school 5th grade classroom for a day; then follow that up by volunteering at a public high school for a day. There's an experience in real-world culture shock for ya!
asu66 has been in public education pretty much his entire career. I retired after 38 years in public education. His suggestion to volunteer in a classroom is a good idea if you want to get in touch with our young folks' attitudes and behaviors. For years I've followed what I called the "5% rule." Five percent of the population make life miserable and difficult for the rest of us. I have taught students who not long after that year ended up in jail for making threats. One was arrested and declared a terrorist. My point is the students of today have not been taught how to "suck it up" and deal with situations. They (over)react and feel that discussion, dialogue, compromise, and reaching an accord are not acceptable. Is his comment the "dumbest thing on the internet?" Not even close; not as long as there is a Kardashian or people from WalMart out there. I would however be interested in your explanation as to why you think his comments are so dumb.
It comes off as "These kids weren't raised exactly like we were back in the day so the world is going to shit!"

Kids don't need the 10 commandments, or any facet of religion at all, to keep them from shooting up schools or becoming good people.
Well, if the correlation fits.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Sat May 04, 2019 2:10 pm

NO.2 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:17 am
scatman77 wrote:
NO.2 wrote:
asu66 wrote:

"Kids don't need the 10 commandments, or any facet of religion at all, to keep them from shooting up schools or becoming good people."

What then is your solution to this problem? It is against the law to kill another human being which is clearly stated in the Ten Commandments. If not the commandments and the law then what will keep them from "shooting up schools or becoming good people?" What is your point of reference here?
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”