Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

6.6.1944 Operation Overlord (The Normandy Invasion) D-Day

asu66
School: Appalachian State

6.6.1944 Operation Overlord (The Normandy Invasion) D-Day

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:33 am

The Normandy Invasion of June 6,1944 is the reason we aren't speaking either German or Russian these days. Hundreds of thousands of young Americran soldiers--mostly ages 16 through 23 (some lied about their age so they could go fight) stepped up to save western civilization from being overrun by the Nazis, the Japanese or the Russians. Our greatest generation joined forces with the UK, France and other western European nations to stop the planned German advance from ,to cross the English Channel and take England and Scotland with Wales and Ireland soon to follow. Allied Forces were outmanned
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

APPdiesel

Re: 6.6.1944 Operation Overlord (The Normandy Invasion) D-Day

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:01 pm

Watching these veterans being awareded Knight of the Legion of Honor in Normandy its hard not to get choked up a little.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:16 pm

Went to the D-Day Memorial in Bedford, VA on June 6 a few years back. They had some D-Day survivors there as special guests. I don't think I've ever had a greater honor than to shake their hands that day.

There are so few of them left now and so many people who don't care what they did. I worry that their sacrifice will be lost.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:18 pm

Humbled and Thankful.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:34 pm

"My fellow Americans: Last night, when I spoke with you about the fall of Rome, I knew at that moment that troops of the United States and our allies were crossing the Channel in another and greater operation. It has come to pass with success thus far. 
And so, in this poignant hour, I ask you to join with me in prayer: 
Almighty God: Our sons, pride of our Nation, this day have set upon a mighty endeavor, a struggle to preserve our Republic, our religion, and our civilization, and to set free a suffering humanity. 
Lead them straight and true; give strength to their arms, stoutness to their hearts, steadfastness in their faith. 
They will need Thy blessings. Their road will be long and hard. For the enemy is strong. He may hurl back our forces. Success may not come with rushing speed, but we shall return again and again; and we know that by Thy grace, and by the righteousness of our cause, our sons will triumph. 
They will be sore tried, by night and by day, without rest-until the victory is won. The darkness will be rent by noise and flame. Men's souls will be shaken with the violences of war. 
For these men are lately drawn from the ways of peace. They fight not for the lust of conquest. They fight to end conquest. They fight to liberate. They fight to let justice arise, and tolerance and good will among all Thy people. They yearn but for the end of battle, for their return to the haven of home. 
Some will never return. Embrace these, Father, and receive them, Thy heroic servants, into Thy kingdom.
And for us at home -- fathers, mothers, children, wives, sisters, and brothers of brave men overseas -- whose thoughts and prayers are ever with them--help us, Almighty God, to rededicate ourselves in renewed faith in Thee in this hour of great sacrifice. 
Many people have urged that I call the Nation into a single day of special prayer. But because the road is long and the desire is great, I ask that our people devote themselves in a continuance of prayer. As we rise to each new day, and again when each day is spent, let words of prayer be on our lips, invoking Thy help to our efforts. 
Give us strength, too -- strength in our daily tasks, to redouble the contributions we make in the physical and the material support of our armed forces. 
And let our hearts be stout, to wait out the long travail, to bear sorrows that may come, to impart our courage unto our sons wheresoever they may be. 
And, O Lord, give us Faith. Give us Faith in Thee; Faith in our sons; Faith in each other; Faith in our united crusade. Let not the keenness of our spirit ever be dulled. Let not the impacts of temporary events, of temporal matters of but fleeting moment let not these deter us in our unconquerable purpose. 
With Thy blessing, we shall prevail over the unholy forces of our enemy. Help us to conquer the apostles of greed and racial arrogancies. Lead us to the saving of our country, and with our sister Nations into a world unity that will spell a sure peace a peace invulnerable to the schemings of unworthy men. And a peace that will let all of men live in freedom, reaping the just rewards of their honest toil. 
Thy will be done, Almighty God.
Amen." FDR 6-6-1944

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:19 pm

My bad for never finishing my post...got a phone call...proceeded to drop the phone on my keyboard...and the angry tech witches did me in...

Anyway, I was leading up to posting this for all of the younger folks who were never taught anything about freedom and how it's neither free nor guaranteed. We're always just one generation away from losing it. Always!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/wor ... 365312001/

https://www.foxnews.com/world/pictures- ... -at-d-day1

https://nypost.com/2019/06/05/d-day-com ... ars-later/

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-48 ... ars-later/

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ga ... s-of-d-day
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

App91

Unread post by App91 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:33 pm

Heard this today, best radio interview ever! If you are a Sirius subscriber, seek it out. its great. Sorry i cannot post the audio. I am going to find out about the book these two wrote and read it!
https://www.smerconish.com/news/2019/6/ ... rview-ever

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:37 pm

My Dad was there.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:20 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:37 pm
My Dad was there.
Thank you to your dad.

One of my wife's granddads piloted a landing craft that day and my granddads would be going in during next few days with the artillery and medical corps respectively.

I cannot imagine being called to do what they did. They really were the greatest generation.

Other than maybe Gettysburg and the concentration camp at Dachau, Omaha Beach is the most somberly mournful and sad yet awe-inspiring places I have ever had the privilege to go.

appfan83

Unread post by appfan83 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:41 pm

My Mothers brother, Joe Cephus Joyce is entombed in the fields of Normandy. He was a member of the 82nd Airborne paratroopers of Fort Bragg, NC that deployed into Normandy that day.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:13 pm

These two video clips will leave you with wet eyes and a very grateful heart.

Actor Charles Durning, PFC:

D-Day soldier Ray Lambert as told by Sam Elliott:
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

ASU85Grad

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:24 pm

My Uncle (all three sons attended Clemson) fought on Saipan. His brother was killed by a German machine gun nest on D-Day plus 8. After the war, parents had to pay to bring son's remains back home. He would not allow his mother to bring his brother back. On Saipan when they buried Marines, they would usually know all the names in the row, but not necessarily in the exact order. He was afraid his mother would pay and bring home the wrong body. Later this was changed and parents did not have to pay.

ASU85Grad

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:39 pm

I know a gentleman whose father was given a medal by Senator Elizabeth Dole. Mr. Shook was the most decorated soldier from NC in WWII. He want in, on probably June 5th to help set up the landing zones in France for the gliders that were to follow. On June 9th, after fighting for three straight days, he was wounded. He fell asleep on the ride to the beach, and woke up in a hospital in England. Remembers nothing of the trip back. He feet were frost bitten during the Battle of the Bulge. Afterward, he came back home and became a brick mason. They were the Greatest Generation for a reason.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:35 pm

My first grandson was born yesterday 6-6-19. His given name is Jack. His nickname is D-day.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:25 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:35 pm
My first grandson was born yesterday 6-6-19. His given name is Jack. His nickname is D-day.
Congrats grandpa.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:56 am

So much respect for this generation. My wife and I have current and former armed forces throughout our families and I have incredible respect for them. I know that if the call ever came for me to serve my country and preserve our freedom, I would not hesitate to answer that call because that mentality is what shaped the world we live in today. These ideals need to be passed along to our children, and then passed on to our children’s children. If we do our part, we will never have to worry about the politics that attempt to shatter our republic.

God Bless these men and woman.
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”