Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

W. Kerr Scott Lake/Fort Hamby Campground

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

W. Kerr Scott Lake/Fort Hamby Campground

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:38 am

The wife and I attended the Tom Dooley outdoor drama that is held in Wilkes County. I had been trying to get to this production for the last few years but they only have about 8-9 shows during the summer season. I don't think the story is as "big" as The Lost Colony or Horn in the West or even From This Day Forward, but it was written by a local to the community and the acting was good enough for summer outdoor drama, meaning some of the acting was was very good and none was bad. I am glad I got to see if finally.

We camped in the same campground (Fort Hamby) as the theatre and this is a very nice campground. There are a few campgrounds around the lake and I am sure all of in about the same condition. All the sites, from what I could tell, had water and electrical hook-ups and even with just a tent campsite it was nice to be able to charge a phone. I don't mind being out of the loop with tech, but I also don't mind having access to a cell phone and I did have some coverage at the tent site and had the ability to charge a phone. Restrooms were clean. There is a nice boat put-in that we used for kayaks the next morning and there are many of those around the lake as well.

I have driven around the lake many times on US-421 and NC-268 but never really spent any time on the lake. This would make a nice place to camp during the fall for a football game. For those driving up US-421 it is only a few miles off US-421. It could easily make for an easy set up on a Friday evening after getting off work, the drive to Boone is 30-40 minutes so there would be time to do a bit of hiking or boating Saturday before the game (depending on game time) or doing the same Sunday morning before packing up. There are some playground equipment around as well for smaller children. Disc golf is available if the lake activities are not. Getting back to the campsite would not be unreasonably late for most game either.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

CVAPP
School: Appalachian State

Re: W. Kerr Scott Lake/Fort Hamby Campground

Unread post by CVAPP » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:01 am

Nice review. Thanks for sharing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”