Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Red Cross

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Red Cross

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:06 pm

Have been giving blood to the Red Cross for the past 53 years. Not bragging, it's just that my Dad did, too and almost insisted that I follow suit. For the past decade, they have let me know relative specifics on where it went. Last one went here:

Thank you for giving blood with the American Red Cross on January 7, 2020. After first ensuring that local needs were met, your blood donation was sent to UAB Hospital in Birmingham, AL to help a patient in need. Your donation is on its way to change lives!

Every day, people receive blood for life-threatening illnesses, blood disorders, traumatic injuries, and other conditions. You can feel proud knowing that your gift of a blood donation is critical to these patients. If you’re eligible to give again, please schedule your next donation today!
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Yosef84

Re: Red Cross

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:06 pm

NewApp wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:06 pm
Have been giving blood to the Red Cross for the past 53 years. Not bragging, it's just that my Dad did, too and almost insisted that I follow suit. For the past decade, they have let me know relative specifics on where it went. Last one went here:

Thank you for giving blood with the American Red Cross on January 7, 2020. After first ensuring that local needs were met, your blood donation was sent to UAB Hospital in Birmingham, AL to help a patient in need. Your donation is on its way to change lives!

Every day, people receive blood for life-threatening illnesses, blood disorders, traumatic injuries, and other conditions. You can feel proud knowing that your gift of a blood donation is critical to these patients. If you’re eligible to give again, please schedule your next donation today!
I didn't know they gave that type of information. Great job donating! You must have a fairly rare blood type if it is getting shipped across country.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:12 pm

If anyone can spare 2.5 to 3 hours at a time the Red Cross is in need of platelet donations. It’s a lot to ask but it’s a great way to help cancer patients. I’m fortunate to live near the donation site on Coliseum Rd in WS. which makes it convenient. Just wanted to throw that out as it’s a great way to honor or remember family and friends battling cancer 👍

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:34 pm

I am AB+ and I get asked for platelets and plasmsa often, as in as soon as I am eligible to give again. There is a big need.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:34 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:06 pm
NewApp wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:06 pm

I didn't know they gave that type of information. Great job donating! You must have a fairly rare blood type if it is getting shipped across country.
You have to insist they let you know where. Of course they won't be specific. However, a couple times they gave information like: it went to an adolescent female leukemia patient in Eden...or something like that. When I give in Asheboro, it often goes to Baptist and when I give in Albemarle, it goes to Atrium Charlotte.
I posted this to maybe encourage others to donate. It truly does save lives. I don't give platets, plasma, or red blood cells simply because I don't want my blood taken out and then part of it transfused back in my system. Irrationally scared, I guess.
As to rarety, mine is just A- which is from 9-11% of the population. It is more common among American Indians than any other segment of the American population.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:36 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:34 pm
I am AB+ and I get asked for platelets and plasmsa often, as in as soon as I am eligible to give again. There is a big need.

There sure is. One thing that gripes me is that so many people and/or entities say much of Red Cross donated blood goes to foreign countries from the US which is a blantant lie. It all stays stateside.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:46 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:36 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:34 pm

There sure is. One thing that gripes me is that so many people and/or entities say much of Red Cross donated blood goes to foreign countries from the US which is a blantant lie. It all stays stateside.
I would not really care as long as it was not wasted. Though just the logistics of it all would make me think it is staying in the US.

Greensboro has the Red Cross but we also have a Community Blood Services that keeps the blood even closer to home, though I have not donated to them before.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”