• Birthdays

Coronavirus Superthread

StorminASU
School: Appalachian State

Coronavirus Superthread

Unread post by StorminASU » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:37 am

Can we just start a superthread since it seems Coronavirus is affecting so many areas now?

ericsaid

Re: Coronavirus Superthread

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:06 am

StorminASU wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:37 am
Can we just start a superthread since it seems Coronavirus is affecting so many areas now?
So far 15 people in NC have confirmed COVID-19.

3 people died of the Flu last week in the State.

Shut it all down! Millennials losing their mind and now I have no toilet paper.

PoplarHillApp

Unread post by PoplarHillApp » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:09 am

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:06 am
StorminASU wrote:

And now that Sears is gone, there is no longer a catalog. And since cellular telephones, there are no longer phone books. And it's not the time of year for corncobs to be plentiful.

We are screwed.

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:14 am

ericsaid wrote:
StorminASU wrote:

How did Millenials come into this? I'm a millenial and am trying to figure out why everyone is freaking out. Want to bring politics or religion into it next?

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:15 am

PoplarHillApp wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:09 am
And now that Sears is gone, there is no longer a catalog. And since cellular telephones, there are no longer phone books. And it's not the time of year for corncobs to be plentiful.

We are screwed.
Even toilet paper on Amazon is sold out:
https://www.amazon.com/slp/georgia-sout ... ut5tbt33o8

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:24 am

I THINK and I HOPE, in a couple of months we are going to shake our heads at the way our country and media freaked out over this. Although, I still maintain the media very much has a vested interested in creating the hysteria.

I’m reminded of the freak outs (none to this level) over Zika, H1N1, Swine Flu, and so on and so on. Yes, people were effected and it’s extremely sad, but to bring our country to a screeching halt and to its knees, HOPEFULLY we realize we overreacted....again.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:58 am

Huge opportunity in the Market.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:12 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:58 am
App-solutely!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:24 pm

Stonewall wrote:
I agree these stock drops are a gold mine. All the things that are tanking like airlines, cruise ships, live venue companies are tanking but will inevitably bounce back for a nice profit.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:31 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:24 am
I THINK and I HOPE, in a couple of months we are going to shake our heads at the way our country and media freaked out over this. Although, I still maintain the media very much has a vested interested in creating the hysteria.

I’m reminded of the freak outs (none to this level) over Zika, H1N1, Swine Flu, and so on and so on. Yes, people were effected and it’s extremely sad, but to bring our country to a screeching halt and to its knees, HOPEFULLY we realize we overreacted....again.
Hopefully, we can all say it was a big overreaction. The problem with that becomes what if all these closures and actions slows the spread enough for the summer to kill it off or the health care system to not get swamped or vaccines to be developed, we will never know for sure if the actions taken worked or if it was a bunch of fuss for nothing. If that happens, will people be more or less likely to worry when a worse threat develops?

I used to be more blaise about it than I am now, however, because of what has happened in Italy. 3 weeks ago there was little trace of the virus and now their health system is completely in tatters with stories of hospital hallways serving as ICU wards and dead bodies unable to be collected. Of course, Italy and the US are different. 25% of Italians are over the age of 65 and their government-run health service is one of the least efficient, most poorly run in the Western world. Unlike Italy, we have enough ICU beds to handle the patient level Italy is seeing, but it wouldn't take much more to overwhelm our system. However, the Italian example shows just how quickly things can get out of hand, and why even if you are young and healthy and in little serious threat yourself, you can still carry the virus and pass it along to others more at risk.

I do still think it is probably an overreaction but i think a justifiable one. True, it is disturbing how the media is acting regarding this versus other pandemics (swineflu, for example) and disgusting how some in Congress are seeking political advantage or trying to slip pet projects or unrelated items into spending bills.

But overall, we should all be erring on the side of caution. One of the world's largest companies, Disney, didn't close their cash-cow theme parks for 2 weeks during what would normally be their busiest period between spring breaks and Easter (or for longer in the foreign parks) and risk losing 30% of their total operating revenue out of hair-on-fire tin-foil-hat panic.

When we recover, and we will (even if it is truly devastating), we can look at things like sanitation, medical research practices, economic interconnectivity, logistics and supply chains (especially regarding pharmaceuticals), and other weaknesses this panic is highlighting.

Until then, settle in, wash your hands, don't visit grandma, buy stock on sale, and hope this thing passes as quickly as it came. And when you get it (you probably will) seek treatment if necessary, don't panic, and isolate yourself until it runs its course.
Last edited by AppfaninCAALand on Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:49 pm

I was supposed to start a new job on Monday, and today was my last day at my current job. Just got informed that my new company is suspending all hiring due to this. Not going to lie this is a very frustrating day.

FREQS AND GEEKS!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:55 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:49 pm
I was supposed to start a new job on Monday, and today was my last day at my current job. Just got informed that my new company is suspending all hiring due to this. Not going to lie this is a very frustrating day.
I'm really sorry to hear that. I can relate though. I had a very similar situation happen to me due to 9/11.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:03 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:55 pm
NavyApp wrote:
I'm really sorry to hear that. I can relate though. I had a very similar situation happen to me due to 9/11.
Appreciate it, not really upset about it because I understand the supposed rationale but when it directly effects your ability to provide for your family it's frustrating. This will pass too and everything will be fine.

FREQS AND GEEKS!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:12 pm

StorminASU wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:14 am
ericsaid wrote:
StorminASU wrote:

How did Millenials come into this? I'm a millenial and am trying to figure out why everyone is freaking out. Want to bring politics or religion into it next?
I find this incredibly ironic. I've seen here, on the Facebook cesspool, and other places that this is all "millenials" overreacting. Yet, it is the "Boomers" who are at the greatest risk of death due to coronavirus.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:36 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Yep....I've been consulting my FA to invest more into my portfolio. Its a no brainer if you aren't close to retirement.....

The Appalachian State

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:41 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:03 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:55 pm
NavyApp wrote:
Appreciate it, not really upset about it because I understand the supposed rationale but when it directly effects your ability to provide for your family it's frustrating. This will pass too and everything will be fine.
Yep. It sounds like you have a very good attitude towards a messed up situation. I wish you the best of luck in your continued (or maybe delayed) search. My situation resolved and I'm sure yours will also.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:04 pm

Going to need to buy stock in netflix and other streaming things. That lock down is going to be a lot of TV. And then all the babies coming in 9 months.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:06 pm

biggie wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:04 pm
Going to need to buy stock in netflix and other streaming things. That lock down is going to be a lot of TV. And then all the babies coming in 9 months.
You're absolutely right! My daughter is a Hurricane Hugo baby. :D

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:10 pm

ericsaid wrote:
StorminASU wrote:

Of the government officials and business owners that are taking drastic measures, how many do you think are millennials? While I'm sure the kids in Virginia will be happy that they're out of school the next two weeks, the decision came from people much older. When it snows, who is taking all of the milk and bread? Damn sure isn't my age group. It's the older age group that calls my age group a bunch of pussies and snowflakes. Today's youth didn't evolve into what you feel they are, they were raised that way by the generations above them.

bardenc

Unread post by bardenc » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:24 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:10 pm
ericsaid wrote:
StorminASU wrote:

Of the government officials and business owners that are taking drastic measures, how many do you think are millennials? While I'm sure the kids in Virginia will be happy that they're out of school the next two weeks, the decision came from people much older. When it snows, who is taking all of the milk and bread? Damn sure isn't my age group. It's the older age group that calls my age group a bunch of pussies and snowflakes. Today's youth didn't evolve into what you feel they are, they were raised that way by the generations above them.
...blame and entitlement

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”