• Birthdays

Coronavirus Superthread

ASU2012
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coronavirus Superthread

Unread post by ASU2012 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:43 am

Haven't read through the thread, but dies anyone with tick office connections have any info on the Luke Combs concert? Have to think it's in jeopardy at this point, despite being more than a month away.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:27 am

ASU2012 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:43 am
Haven't read through the thread, but dies anyone with tick office connections have any info on the Luke Combs concert? Have to think it's in jeopardy at this point, despite being more than a month away.
I don't think this will be cleared up enough by then but maybe. That is going to be a shame for those with tickets and/or put the schedule for stadium work off schedule.

I have some training to be an Amtrak Station host the last Saturday in April in Raleigh at the NC DOT Rail Division office/yard in Raleigh. If it proceeds I will be very surprised. They only do the training twice a year so if they do hold this training I will have to decide to either not attend and maybe have a spot in the fall, if that happens, or go forward with the training even if things are not settled down yet. I am hoping they will push the training back a few weeks and things will be clearing up by then. Honestly I am doubtful of the clearing up part yet by then.

This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:55 am

From the CDC as of end of day 3/20....in the US

15,219 cases
201 deaths

Mortality rate 1.3%

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:59 am

Looks like the CDC site may not be updating. From Johns Hopkins.

In the US

35,530 cases
443 deaths

Mortality rate 1.2%

Another interesting article on the site talks about treating folks with the plasma from recovered patients. Sounds like a proven approach.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:42 pm

Gov just closed NC public schools through 15 May. Greensboro Science Center is closed through the end of April now instead of the end of March, and that could change.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:46 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:59 am

In the US

35,530 cases
443 deaths

Mortality rate 1.2%

Another interesting article on the site talks about treating folks with the plasma from recovered patients. Sounds like a proven approach.
Two quick things to keep in mind. 1-Some of those cases have not had time to turn to fatal cases. NPR was talking to someone, Friday I think it was, about the plasma and some older methods used in decades past. It is certainly worth researching until a vaccine is in play for large numbers of people but do keep in mind what worked on previous situations may not play out as well this time around, though it did sound promising.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:58 pm

Just came across an interesting fact-

Over half of the deaths in Italy were from patients with 3 or more comorbitidies. Meaning they died "with" COVID-19, not "from" COVID-19. For example: Patient A was a 90 year old man with Cancer, heart failure, and stroke, but he "died" from Coronavirus?

The Appalachian State

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:38 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:46 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:

In the US

35,530 cases
443 deaths

Mortality rate 1.2%

Two quick things to keep in mind. 1-Some of those cases have not had time to turn to fatal cases. NPR was talking to someone, Friday I think it was, about the plasma and some older methods used in decades past. It is certainly worth researching until a vaccine is in play for large numbers of people but do keep in mind what worked on previous situations may not play out as well this time around, though it did sound promising.
Looks like you read the article, note that it said they used the method in China and it would be in use in the US in around 3 weeks.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:23 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:38 pm
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:46 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:

In the US

35,530 cases
443 deaths

Mortality rate 1.2%

Looks like you read the article, note that it said they used the method in China and it would be in use in the US in around 3 weeks.
Actually I did not read the article. I have been doing reading emails from fellow faculty, students, grading papers, and doing online safety training but I did have time to check out YC once during a break.

I say there is nothing we should not try and research if it has some promise that will not do more damage.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:11 pm

ASU2012 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:43 am
I got an update through vivid seats which is where I got our tickets. It as of now it was still planned as scheduled but they were monitoring the situation. I paid entirely to much for my tickets and I’m glad the vivid seats will refund 100% of the purchase price if canceled. I have some friends that bought Zack Brown tickets through Ticketmaster and they would not refund them when it got cancelled.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:45 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:47 pm
If there was only a device where I could easily look up historical proof that scientists are wrong more times than right (which is a good thing) and things are rarely as they were first thought to be.....hmmmm 🤔
Without science some/many of us would not be sitting here as our grandparents/parents/and in a few cases their ownselves would not have survived the polio scourge a few decades ago.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:28 pm

Science is great, loved it as a student and enjoy working with my kids on it as well.

Have a theory, test it, prove it or learn from it, try again. A LOT of that is going on right now.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:12 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:28 pm
Science is great, loved it as a student and enjoy working with my kids on it as well.

Have a theory, test it, prove it or learn from it, try again. A LOT of that is going on right now.
And that is what is happening. And some of it will be incorrect but on the whole as time passes the scientists will get it right. Hopefully sooner than later.

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:34 pm

“Without science some/many of us would not be sitting here as our grandparents/parents/and in a few cases their ownselves would not have survived the polio scourge a few decades ago.”

My brother survived polio. I remember my parents talking about their pure joy when the docs did the spinal tap and the fluid was clear(?).
God bless the doctors/nurses/medical staff who are dealing with this virus on the front-lines. And the grocery store folks...and the folks at the pharmacies...

"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:40 am

Appsolutely wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:34 pm
“Without science some/many of us would not be sitting here as our grandparents/parents/and in a few cases their ownselves would not have survived the polio scourge a few decades ago.”

My brother survived polio. I remember my parents talking about their pure joy when the docs did the spinal tap and the fluid was clear(?).
God bless the doctors/nurses/medical staff who are dealing with this virus on the front-lines. And the grocery store folks...and the folks at the pharmacies...
Many of us were so fearful of contracting polio that when we sat with our legs crossed and our leg went to "sleep," we were afraid we had polio. Does anyone else remember that?"

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:44 am

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:58 pm

Over half of the deaths in Italy were from patients with 3 or more comorbitidies. Meaning they died "with" COVID-19, not "from" COVID-19. For example: Patient A was a 90 year old man with Cancer, heart failure, and stroke, but he "died" from Coronavirus?
Just wow, the "semantics" of death.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:04 am

NewApp wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:40 am
Appsolutely wrote:

Many of us were so fearful of contracting polio that when we sat with our legs crossed and our leg went to "sleep," we were afraid we had polio. Does anyone else remember that?"
I did not know you were that old. I knew you were older than me but I was not aware of you being that much older.

I never worried about polio since the vaccine had been out a few years before I was born.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:41 am

NewApp wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:40 am
Appsolutely wrote:

I remember when the Salk Vaccine first came out. The vaccine was given orally, it was dripped onto a sugar cube. It was provided free of charge, I received mine at the old Appalachian Elementary School. I'll never forget those red sugar cubes.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:08 am

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:45 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:47 pm
If there was only a device where I could easily look up historical proof that scientists are wrong more times than right (which is a good thing) and things are rarely as they were first thought to be.....hmmmm 🤔
Without science some/many of us would not be sitting here as our grandparents/parents/and in a few cases their ownselves would not have survived the polio scourge a few decades ago.
That is why I pointed out that “being wrong is a good thing”. But because of the unknowns, the most damage to be done so far from this virus has been to people’s lives and jobs, not their health. My concern continues to be the long term damage this will cause to people. We are taking the little bits of data we have, and taking extreme action based on it. At this point, extreme precaution would have been better than extreme action. I don’t disagree with any of the facts, just the reactions to those facts.

The Appalachian State

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:15 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:58 pm

Is this supposed to make any of us who have loved ones with underlying conditions feel any better? I feel like some of you aren’t grasping the simple concept that a death is a death. Do you have to have someone close to you be the one who dies for some of you to grasp that?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”