Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

EPL Question

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

EPL Question

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat May 02, 2020 3:43 pm

Question for Premier League fanatics.

When the bottom couple of teams are relegated to a lower division what happens to the player's and coaches salaries? I assume attendance is down when the teams drop and certainly the TV money can't be the same. Bournemouth made a quick rise fron Tier 4 to PL (Tier1) back to EFL(Tier 2) over the last decade. A few others have fallen almost as much. What is the process when a team moves up in the soccer tier system?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NavyApp

Re: EPL Question

Unread post by NavyApp » Sat May 02, 2020 3:50 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:43 pm
Question for Premier League fanatics.

When the bottom couple of teams are relegated to a lower division what happens to the player's and coaches salaries? I assume attendance is down when the teams drop and certainly the TV money can't be the same. Bournemouth made a quick rise fron Tier 4 to PL (Tier1) back to EFL(Tier 2) over the last decade. A few others have fallen almost as much. What is the process when a team moves up in the soccer tier system?
Here is a pretty good article on the break down financially on relegation:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/financialf ... pains/amp/

I don't see anything thing that says they have to reduce their roster salaries, but because of all the lost revenues it only makes sense to decrease salaries. It's definitely a very interesting process, and it is definitely makes sense to stay in the EPL!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat May 02, 2020 5:14 pm

I may have missed this in the article but it soundI s like there is not a standard waiver in the player contracts that would kick in a lower salary if regulation kicks in and they drop a tier. I assume the same is true for moving on up, though I imagine there is some sort of bonus at play even if not an increase in base pay.

My sister lives in Dagenham so my team is the Dagenham & Redbridge F.C. which is Tier 5 (Go Daggers). Until they make it to the EPL I root for West Ham United.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat May 02, 2020 5:22 pm

You should watch “Sunderland til I die” on Netflix.

Aside from being a pretty interesting sports documentary, it follows Sunderland for two seasons. Prior to the first season they were relegated from the Prem to the Championship and Season 1 follows their battle in the lower division/financial woes and managing expectations of their fan base. If you follow the sport you already know what happened to them, needless to say they have the most dedicated fans on earth. Season 2 just came out.

I’ll just add to that my personal opinion, the promotion/relegation system and the financial system of European soccer are bar none the best of any competitive sport on earth.
YNWA

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat May 02, 2020 6:05 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:22 pm

Aside from being a pretty interesting sports documentary, it follows Sunderland for two seasons. Prior to the first season they were relegated from the Prem to the Championship and Season 1 follows their battle in the lower division/financial woes and managing expectations of their fan base. If you follow the sport you already know what happened to them, needless to say they have the most dedicated fans on earth. Season 2 just came out.

I’ll just add to that my personal opinion, the promotion/relegation system and the financial system of European soccer are bar none the best of any competitive sport on earth.
Amen

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Sat May 02, 2020 7:50 pm

ah59396 wrote:

I love pro/rel. I think it would be awesome to try with college football.

The downside of the big soccer leagues Is they are by and far not competitive after the first 4 teams or so.

Give me EPL with a salary cap and now you’re talking

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat May 02, 2020 8:27 pm

Most EPL contracts have relegation clauses that allow players to look elsewhere.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sat May 02, 2020 8:35 pm

I'm no fanatic - don't really follow it all actually. But I do know they have "parachute" payments to help relegated teams adjust to the lower TV revenue. I suspect that is one of the reasons teams tend to bounce back and forth from year to year - relegated one year and promoted back the next.

Also, while I really like the system, I don't see how it could work over here.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat May 02, 2020 8:46 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:35 pm
I'm no fanatic - don't really follow it all actually. But I do know they have "parachute" payments to help relegated teams adjust to the lower TV revenue. I suspect that is one of the reasons teams tend to bounce back and forth from year to year - relegated one year and promoted back the next.

I don’t think it can, either. Lower level teams don’t have stadiums that can compete at the major league level. Say Charlotte were to have an outstanding baseball season, as nice as the stadium is, there is no way they compete with a 10,000 seat stadium. There is just too much of a jump between minor league and major league stadia for it to work.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat May 02, 2020 10:52 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:46 pm
AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:35 pm

I don’t think it can, either. Lower level teams don’t have stadiums that can compete at the major league level. Say Charlotte were to have an outstanding baseball season, as nice as the stadium is, there is no way they compete with a 10,000 seat stadium. There is just too much of a jump between minor league and major league stadia for it to work.
Personally I don’t see the stadium size as an issue. Sunderland is actually a pretty hilarious example of that. They are playing in the college football equivalent of D2 with an FBS stadium.

Stadium of Light holds 49,000 people. And right now they share a division with AFC Wimbledon, who play at Kingsmeadow, which holds 4850, and only like 2600 can sit!

The greater issue (in your MLB example) is convincing a bunch of billionaires that own these teams to agree to a system that could potentially bankrupt them if they don’t preform. Why would they ever agree to that?

It’s the perfect system and I’m glad it was implemented in Europe before big money was involved in sports. If they ever decided to depart from the format, they’d never go back now.
YNWA

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat May 02, 2020 11:01 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:50 pm
ah59396 wrote:

The downside of the big soccer leagues Is they are by and far not competitive after the first 4 teams or so.

Disagree regarding the cap. Sure, the leagues are top loaded. But I love, love, love the fact that any club overnight could suddenly become a powerhouse.

Look at Man City. They were a long standing failure in the prem, heck as recently as 1999 they were in the 3rd tier.

Then BAM, they get purchased by the Abu Dhabi United Group. Overnight they dump billions into City, buying world class players and now City are considered one of the best teams in Europe, winning multiple EPL titles.

In a system without a cap, the onus to win falls directly on ownership. No excuses. And if you’re poor, you better have one hell of a youth system to build and sell talent for profit and hope you hit the jackpot.
YNWA

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sun May 03, 2020 6:36 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:52 pm
If [Europe] ever decided to depart from the format, they’d never go back now.
Not that I think either happens, but I do think it is far more likely the power clubs across Europe form a single, closed, continent-spanning NFL style super league (sort of a fixed Champions League) outside each country's promotion/relegation structure, than anything resembling promotion/relegation ever comes to the States.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun May 03, 2020 7:31 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:36 pm
ah59396 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:52 pm
If [Europe] ever decided to depart from the format, they’d never go back now.
Not that I think either happens, but I do think it is far more likely the power clubs across Europe form a single, closed, continent-spanning NFL style super league (sort of a fixed Champions League) outside each country's promotion/relegation structure, than anything resembling promotion/relegation ever comes to the States.
Totally agree. It’s a very real threat and I hope it never happens. It would do tremendous harm to domestic club football and destroy the Belgian league, Turkish league, Polish League who rely on sending their top clubs to the UCL for funding.

Plus it’s a great treat for say, Genk fans, to host Liverpool this past season. With a super league, that goes away.
YNWA

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Mon May 04, 2020 9:24 am

ah59396 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:01 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

Disagree regarding the cap. Sure, the leagues are top loaded. But I love, love, love the fact that any club overnight could suddenly become a powerhouse.

Look at Man City. They were a long standing failure in the prem, heck as recently as 1999 they were in the 3rd tier.

Then BAM, they get purchased by the Abu Dhabi United Group. Overnight they dump billions into City, buying world class players and now City are considered one of the best teams in Europe, winning multiple EPL titles.

In a system without a cap, the onus to win falls directly on ownership. No excuses. And if you’re poor, you better have one hell of a youth system to build and sell talent for profit and hope you hit the jackpot.
ahh, we're on opposite sides here. I think the Man City phenomena exemplifies everything that's WRONG with English soccer.

The reason the NFL is the best league in the world is because its the most competitive. If you can take what works in the NFL, and apply it to EPL etc with pro/rel, you're talking drama on a totally new level (can you imagine of the big 5 in an actual relegation battle?)

The way its set up now is that EPL is basically an afterthought, and only top 4 really matters, and is by and large same 6ish teams (shoutout to LFC and hopefully Wolves), and the champions league is the only thing that's really compelling.

NWA49
School: Charlotte

Unread post by NWA49 » Mon May 04, 2020 10:19 am

I like to check on you Appy's every now and then and love this topic. I follow LCFC - an amazing and unlikely run to the title a few years back and crashing the Big 6 again this year.

I love the promotion/relegation system. I would like to see a few changes to the financial model though. A team like Villa put out a ton of cash. I believe they were the second highest spenders last off season. They are going to be in a world of financial hurt when they go back down and have to sell off players.

The cool thing is with a good scouting and growing players teams can make a move up - Tottenham and LCFC are examples. The Spurs are now one of the big 6 and LCFC have stayed competitive by finding and growing talent and selling at really high prices to help retain other talent (Maguire). It is kind of messed up though that Man City can pay for Mahrez and then just sit him on the bench.

Not current year but here is a good example of the disparity.

Go Niners!
@Normbulance

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon May 04, 2020 10:38 am

On someone's suggestion, been watching the Sunderland netflix show. pretty interesting.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon May 04, 2020 10:55 am

ah59396 wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

What you are saying is that monied teams can be in the running and teams without will not be able to do much.
I don’t care for that model personally.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:49 am

Mon May 04, 2020 10:55 am
ah59396 wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

What you are saying is that monied teams can be in the running and teams without will not be able to do much.
That’s correct. You gotta pay to play.

The problem with a cap in the EPL is that it would destroy the league. The NFL is the only real pro football league in the world. Not like the players can go elsewhere.

The EPL is one of 100. You’d need every domestic league in the WORLD to adopt the same cap. Otherwise you’d have players fleeing to China or Brazil or Mexico, etc.

In order for the EPL to have a cap that keeps it competitive globally, it would need to be such a high number that it would be negligible. Each premier league team gets a free $100m out the gate just for the tv contract.

Lastly I’d add the cap is not a fix-all to parity. The NBA has a cap and I’m a hornets fan. It doesn’t matter what we offer, we aren’t attracting the biggest stars to Charlotte, if they get the same $$$ offer from LA or Miami. However if there was no cap and we had a competent owner, you could argue that we could get any FA we wanted if the money was right.

Having a cap in the EPL isn’t suddenly going to make Sheffield or Hull City more attractive to an upcoming Brazilian Star than say, Arsenal or Liverpool.

Just my two cents. This is a fun discussion!
YNWA

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:53 am

NWA49 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:19 am
I like to check on you Appy's every now and then and love this topic. I follow LCFC - an amazing and unlikely run to the title a few years back and crashing the Big 6 again this year.

I love the promotion/relegation system. I would like to see a few changes to the financial model though. A team like Villa put out a ton of cash. I believe they were the second highest spenders last off season. They are going to be in a world of financial hurt when they go back down and have to sell off players.

The cool thing is with a good scouting and growing players teams can make a move up - Tottenham and LCFC are examples. The Spurs are now one of the big 6 and LCFC have stayed competitive by finding and growing talent and selling at really high prices to help retain other talent (Maguire). It is kind of messed up though that Man City can pay for Mahrez and then just sit him on the bench.

Not current year but here is a good example of the disparity.

City’s bench is unreal. They could field a second team that would likely contend for Europa.
YNWA

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon May 04, 2020 1:55 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:49 am
Mon May 04, 2020 10:55 am
ah59396 wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

That’s correct. You gotta pay to play.

The problem with a cap in the EPL is that it would destroy the league. The NFL is the only real pro football league in the world. Not like the players can go elsewhere.

The EPL is one of 100. You’d need every domestic league in the WORLD to adopt the same cap. Otherwise you’d have players fleeing to China or Brazil or Mexico, etc.

In order for the EPL to have a cap that keeps it competitive globally, it would need to be such a high number that it would be negligible. Each premier league team gets a free $100m out the gate just for the tv contract.

Lastly I’d add the cap is not a fix-all to parity. The NBA has a cap and I’m a hornets fan. It doesn’t matter what we offer, we aren’t attracting the biggest stars to Charlotte, if they get the same $$$ offer from LA or Miami. However if there was no cap and we had a competent owner, you could argue that we could get any FA we wanted if the money was right.

Having a cap in the EPL isn’t suddenly going to make Sheffield or Hull City more attractive to an upcoming Brazilian Star than say, Arsenal or Liverpool.

Just my two cents. This is a fun discussion!
This would take some serious negotiations but most all of the larger football players' unions are part of FIFPro, which is the international union of the national unions. Brasil is not part of this. Having an international salary cap could be done, though there would be lots of concerns to work around and the reach leagues made up of the rich teams would cause problems I am sure.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”