Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

The 5 Greatest Rock Songs

Mjohn1988
School: Appalachian State

Re: The 5 Greatest Rock Songs

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sat May 09, 2020 3:57 pm

No AC/DC in anybody’s top five? It’s a tough list to make but can you really leave Highway to Hell and or Back in Black out of an all time best rock songs list?
Last edited by Mjohn1988 on Sat May 09, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sat May 09, 2020 4:00 pm

No particular order:
When The Levee Breaks....Led Zeppelin
It's Alright Momma.....Elvis Presley
What A Fool Believes......Doobies
Johnny B Goode.....Chuck Berry
Hey Jude.......Beatles
5a for me would be Jolene.....Dolly Parton.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat May 09, 2020 4:18 pm

Well, now I can see another benefit of these threads. I have some great suggestions for my next play list! How could I not already have some of these in the rotation?

Thanks everyone! Go Apps!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat May 09, 2020 6:21 pm

#1 All-time - SATISFACTION... The Stones

Really would be easier if done by decades '60s, 70s, 80s ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat May 09, 2020 8:29 pm

Something from Fleetwood Mac has to be on the list, anything off Rumours would work or my preference, Tusk. Lindsey is too good of an guitarist and in the studio not to have something n the list.

Something from the post-punk New Wave era needs to be here as well. Talking Heads "Burning Down the House" would fit in with some of the harder stuff many of you are posting.

Edit: I missed The Clash selection, but I stand by something from Talking Heads. I have had The Clash on heavy rotation for the last year. Great music and even better politics. win-win for me.
Last edited by McLeansvilleAppFan on Sat May 09, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat May 09, 2020 8:32 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:37 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:34 am
I’ll just give my #1

FREE BIRD
I've often thought Free Bird should be the national anthem. :D
I really have never cared for Southern Rock.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sat May 09, 2020 9:58 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:32 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
I’ll just give my #1

FREE BIRD
Well we still have physics. The Britts, Zeppelin and the Stones bridged blues and rock but I really see southern rock as the true bridge from the blues to rock. The Blues started it all and southern rock songs like Curtis Lowe pay homage to those early blues men.
Last edited by Mjohn1988 on Sun May 10, 2020 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun May 10, 2020 7:40 am

"The Britts, Zeppelin and the Stones bridged blues and rock but I really see southern rock as the true bridge from the blues to rock."

Back in 1976 Lynyrd Skynyrd opened for The Who in England. It was said at the time, every band that had opened for The Who were booed off the stage. Not on this day, it was written that Skynyrd blew The Who off the stage. On a side note, I really never cared for The Who:

goapps

Unread post by goapps » Sun May 10, 2020 8:10 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:40 am
"The Britts, Zeppelin and the Stones bridged blues and rock but I really see southern rock as the true bridge from the blues to rock."

Back in 1976 Lynyrd Skynyrd opened for The Who in England. It was said at the time, every band that had opened for The Who were booed off the stage. Not on this day, it was written that Skynyrd blew The Who off the stage. On a side note, I really never cared for The Who:
I don't know who wrote that Skynyrd "blew The Who off the stage" but I'm gonna say that no act EVER blew The Who off the stage while Keith Moon was still alive.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun May 10, 2020 9:13 am

WataugaMan wrote:

Part of it may be that I grew up in the 80s with post-punk and new wave styles of music (and in particular ska) which is in tone, outlook, appearance, very different than the southern rock of a decade earlier.

Also I think maybe there is too much of a blend without anything coming to the forefront for my taste. Maybe I just need to listen to more of it. I have acquired a taste for Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd since I have been working the laser shows at the Gboro Sci Center the last few years. Maybe if we had a Southern Rock show it would grow on me.

goapps

Unread post by goapps » Sun May 10, 2020 9:43 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
I’ll just give my #1

FREE BIRD
I like a lot of what is often called "southern rock" although it's not my favorite genre, and speaking of, Allman Brothers > Lynyrd Skynyrd

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun May 10, 2020 10:09 am

goapps wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:10 am
WataugaMan wrote:

I don't know who wrote that Skynyrd "blew The Who off the stage" but I'm gonna say that no act EVER blew The Who off the stage while Keith Moon was still alive.
Like they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As I previously stated, I never really cared for The Who. During an interview with Billy Powell a few years back, he stated after opening for The Who, it was written that Skynyrd blew them away. (Not sure by what publication) That's when he (BP) knew they had arrived. After some brief research on this issue, it may have been The Rolling Stones vice The Who that Skynyrd opened for that day at Knebworth.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun May 10, 2020 10:16 am

7:50 through 8:35 mark

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun May 10, 2020 12:47 pm

goapps wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:43 am
WataugaMan wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
I’ll just give my #1

FREE BIRD
I like a lot of what is often called "southern rock" although it's not my favorite genre, and speaking of, Allman Brothers > Lynyrd Skynyrd
I mentioned ska as a favorite genre of mine. It is great dance music so that a plus and all the good bands have been very deliberate in being multi-racial and in a few cases multi-gendered. When theses bands were political they had, in my eyes, good politics. For me art and politics mixing does not bother me, and in fact good art includes politics. Lynyrd Skynard with the Confederate flage; I can't get past it, fair or not on their music, it is a road block for me. I know that was a different time and art is part of the time it was made, but still turns me off. I do know the last original member has distanced themselves from that imagery, and I am glad to hear that.

I started the thread on Aaron Copeland. His music was good and very accessible and he was also brought up to the HUAC as well. Beethoven was quite the radical as well both in his form and his politics.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun May 10, 2020 2:31 pm

Sun May 10, 2020 12:47 pm
goapps wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:43 am
WataugaMan wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
I’ll just give my #1

FREE BIRD
I mentioned ska as a favorite genre of mine. It is great dance music so that a plus and all the good bands have been very deliberate in being multi-racial and in a few cases multi-gendered. When theses bands were political they had, in my eyes, good politics. For me art and politics mixing does not bother me, and in fact good art includes politics. Lynyrd Skynard with the Confederate flage; I can't get past it, fair or not on their music, it is a road block for me. I know that was a different time and art is part of the time it was made, but still turns me off. I do know the last original member has distanced themselves from that imagery, and I am glad to hear that.

I started the thread on Aaron Copeland. His music was good and very accessible and he was also brought up to the HUAC as well. Beethoven was quite the radical as well both in his form and his politics.
For a lot of folks the confederate flag isn’t about anything to do with race, it’s just about being southern. I don’t wear it or display it because it’s just not important enough to risk having anyone think I’m racist. I pass a house everyday that has a confederate flag in the front yard. The next door neighbors are black. I see the two families together in the front yard all the time. They appear to be good friends. Ronnie Van Zant made it clear that he wasn’t about race.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun May 10, 2020 3:03 pm

For some that may be true, and I knew someone would rebuttal with what you saying as I typed what I typed. There is also no denying that for many the confederate flag and racism are closely linked and even more so for those farther north you go when it looses any meaning to being from the south. If minorities felt it was not racist it would be worn by all from the south and for the life of me I have only ever seen it on and connected to those from European heritage. When the pattern of the flag has been used by minorities they have changed the colors to make it their own and that is not the same.

Even if it is not racist, it is far from welcoming to all but the lack of its use except by a small subgroup of this countries citizenry.

Back to rock music.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun May 10, 2020 3:38 pm

Sun May 10, 2020 3:03 pm
For some that may be true, and I knew someone would rebuttal with what you saying as I typed what I typed. There is also no denying that for many the confederate flag and racism are closely linked and even more so for those farther north you go when it looses any meaning to being from the south. If minorities felt it was not racist it would be worn by all from the south and for the life of me I have only ever seen it on and connected to those from European heritage. When the pattern of the flag has been used by minorities they have changed the colors to make it their own and that is not the same.

Even if it is not racist, it is far from welcoming to all but the lack of its use except by a small subgroup of this countries citizenry.

Back to rock music.
The Confederate flag isn’t and has never been a part of my life. I have no problem agreeing with your statement.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun May 10, 2020 3:49 pm

Back to rock music.
Remember, in the Skynyrd days (70s) political correctness was not the norm. I'm sure if they had come along 30 years after the fact we would not be having this discussion. Like someone previously stated, it was about Southern pride, nothing else!

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun May 10, 2020 4:04 pm

Back to rock music.
“Back to rock music”, as a lover of southern rock I’m going to suggest you give the Allman Brothers a try. Start with Eat a Peach. If you like that at all, move on to any of the older albums, especially the live stuff. As for political views I think yours would align with at least some of the band members. For what it’s worth they were a multi racial band and former band member Derek Trucks as gone on to form a very diverse band with his wife Susan Tedeschie. The Tedeschie Trucks Band. They are very different but I call them southern rock too.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun May 10, 2020 4:57 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:49 pm

Back to rock music.
Remember, in the Skynyrd days (70s) political correctness was not the norm. I'm sure if they had come along 30 years after the fact we would not be having this discussion. Like someone previously stated, it was about Southern pride, nothing else!
Southern Pride for some....I’m 68. I might have thought that 50 years ago. Thank God I know better now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”