Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

The 5 Greatest Rock Songs

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Re: The 5 Greatest Rock Songs

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun May 10, 2020 5:14 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:49 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:03 pm
For some that may be true, and I knew someone would rebuttal with what you saying as I typed what I typed. There is also no denying that for many the confederate flag and racism are closely linked and even more so for those farther north you go when it looses any meaning to being from the south. If minorities felt it was not racist it would be worn by all from the south and for the life of me I have only ever seen it on and connected to those from European heritage. When the pattern of the flag has been used by minorities they have changed the colors to make it their own and that is not the same.

Even if it is not racist, it is far from welcoming to all but the lack of its use except by a small subgroup of this countries citizenry.

Back to rock music.
Remember, in the Skynyrd days (70s) political correctness was not the norm. I'm sure if they had come along 30 years after the fact we would not be having this discussion. Like someone previously stated, it was about Southern pride, nothing else!
I recognize that as well, to a limit, which is why I wrote this ..." I know that was a different time and art is part of the time it was made, but still turns me off." I also think it is a bit naive or blind or whatever to think that this "pride" did not have at the time and now, a racist side to it for many. Again I didn't see the southern branches of the NAACP or Freedom Riders of the day using the flag themselves. One will find KKK, Nazis, and their fellow travelers using the flag then and now. That is not to say that everyone that displays that flag is some racist, but ....

And I think the fact the flag has been shunned by LS lately from what I have read is a positive and it has cost them some fans the last few years as well-likely racist fans.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun May 10, 2020 5:28 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 4:04 pm
For some that may be true, and I knew someone would rebuttal with what you saying as I typed what I typed. There is also no denying that for many the confederate flag and racism are closely linked and even more so for those farther north you go when it looses any meaning to being from the south. If minorities felt it was not racist it would be worn by all from the south and for the life of me I have only ever seen it on and connected to those from European heritage. When the pattern of the flag has been used by minorities they have changed the colors to make it their own and that is not the same.

Even if it is not racist, it is far from welcoming to all but the lack of its use except by a small subgroup of this countries citizenry.

Back to rock music.
“Back to rock music”, as a lover of southern rock I’m going to suggest you give the Allman Brothers a try. Start with Eat a Peach. If you like that at all, move on to any of the older albums, especially the live stuff. As for political views I think yours would align with at least some of the band members. For what it’s worth they were a multi racial band and former band member Derek Trucks as gone on to form a very diverse band with his wife Susan Tedeschie. The Tedeschie Trucks Band. They are very different but I call them southern rock too.
I am listening to the album now.

Off topic slightly, for anyone:

Did Spinal Tap go through a Southern Rock phase in their rockumentary? I know they talk about their skiffle period and then progress through the 60's with a Beatles look and then psychedelic phase. I have not watched that movie is a good bit. They hit most all the rock styles with hilarity.

Derek Smalls had the facial hair look going that could pass for one of the Allman Brothers but that is more a nod to Lemmy or the band Saxon from what I have read.

mfrench

Unread post by mfrench » Sun May 10, 2020 5:56 pm

If considering great Southern Rock bands do not forget the Outlaws....Green Grass and High Tides. All of the songs listed on this thread are solid! Loved me some Sta nglehold by Ted Nugent...

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun May 10, 2020 6:09 pm

Sun May 10, 2020 5:14 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:49 pm

Back to rock music.
Remember, in the Skynyrd days (70s) political correctness was not the norm. I'm sure if they had come along 30 years after the fact we would not be having this discussion. Like someone previously stated, it was about Southern pride, nothing else!
I recognize that as well, to a limit, which is why I wrote this ..." I know that was a different time and art is part of the time it was made, but still turns me off." I also think it is a bit naive or blind or whatever to think that this "pride" did not have at the time and now, a racist side to it for many. Again I didn't see the southern branches of the NAACP or Freedom Riders of the day using the flag themselves. One will find KKK, Nazis, and their fellow travelers using the flag then and now. That is not to say that everyone that displays that flag is some racist, but ....

And I think the fact the flag has been shunned by LS lately from what I have read is a positive and it has cost them some fans the last few years as well-likely racist fans.
During the time of the British Invasion, the flag was more of an identity issue not racial. When speaking of LS that's a fact. They didn't use the flag for racial purposes! Their music will attest to this. Contrary to the opinion of some, most LS fans are not a bunch of racist/ignorant fools. I like LS and at the same time have the same view of the Confederate Flag as you. Anyway, the band can't be held responsible for the actions or thoughts of a few idiots. The damn flag aside, their music still kicked ass.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Mon May 11, 2020 7:47 am

1. Back in Black.
2. My Generation.
3. Sympathy for the Devil
4. Immigrant Song.
5. Enter Sandman.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon May 11, 2020 1:00 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:

Back to rock music.
“Back to rock music”, as a lover of southern rock I’m going to suggest you give the Allman Brothers a try. Start with Eat a Peach. If you like that at all, move on to any of the older albums, especially the live stuff. As for political views I think yours would align with at least some of the band members. For what it’s worth they were a multi racial band and former band member Derek Trucks as gone on to form a very diverse band with his wife Susan Tedeschie. The Tedeschie Trucks Band. They are very different but I call them southern rock too.
I did listen to this on YouTube yesterday. I was working on a online talk I am giving no Galielio this Friday evening (if anyone is interested I can give a link I imagine.) so I will admit I was not 100% into the music but I was listening. It was not bad, it was pretty good. I doubt I will be spending money on them to get their back catalog but it was enjoyable. I am not sure if you have ever had the pleasure of listening to Buckingham Nicks first and only album but some of the guitar work in a few places reminded me of that album (which is a huge compliment in my view) What little success Buckingham Nicks had before joining up with Fleetwood Mac was mostly in the deep south, especially around Birmingham, AL so maybe some of those slight connections to my ear should not be surprising to me at least.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon May 11, 2020 8:06 pm

Mon May 11, 2020 1:00 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:

Back to rock music.
I did listen to this on YouTube yesterday. I was working on a online talk I am giving no Galielio this Friday evening (if anyone is interested I can give a link I imagine.) so I will admit I was not 100% into the music but I was listening. It was not bad, it was pretty good. I doubt I will be spending money on them to get their back catalog but it was enjoyable. I am not sure if you have ever had the pleasure of listening to Buckingham Nicks first and only album but some of the guitar work in a few places reminded me of that album (which is a huge compliment in my view) What little success Buckingham Nicks had before joining up with Fleetwood Mac was mostly in the deep south, especially around Birmingham, AL so maybe some of those slight connections to my ear should not be surprising to me at least.
Well at least you had an open mind. Your probably hearing Dickie Betts. Betts was influenced by blue grass, Buckingham by folk music and both played the banjo. The banjo help both develop their finger picking style of guitar playing.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon May 11, 2020 9:37 pm

I’m going to start a new topic for music.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon May 11, 2020 11:12 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:06 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:

Back to rock music.
Well at least you had an open mind. Your probably hearing Dickie Betts. Betts was influenced by blue grass, Buckingham by folk music and both played the banjo. The banjo help both develop their finger picking style of guitar playing.
To be honest I am not sure I was aware I was listening to a finger-picking guitar there but in hindsight that wold explain the sound. I'll dig a bit deeper into Allman Brothers over the next few weeks.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue May 12, 2020 7:06 am

Mon May 11, 2020 11:12 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:06 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:

Back to rock music.
To be honest I am not sure I was aware I was listening to a finger-picking guitar there but in hindsight that wold explain the sound. I'll dig a bit deeper into Allman Brothers over the next few weeks.
Don’t get me wrong music is about what you like, not how hard it is to play or what the critics think. But as guitar bands go the Allman Brothers are phenomenal. Buckingham is a good guitar player, Rolling Stone ranks him at 100 best all time. That’s very good. The Allman brothers have had 4 guitar players in the brief history of the band. All 4 are ranked in the top 100. Betts is the lowest ranked at 61. The other 3, Warren Haynes, Deric Trucks and Duane Allman all rank inside the top 25. All 4 have also had solo carries and played in and formed other bands. Duane Allman was a highly sought after session musician who played with some huge names. Trucks may be the best slide player ever. He’s had a solo carrier, studied the sitar in India and currently has a band with his Grammy winning wife Susan Tedeschie. Haynes at one time was playing with the Allman band, the Dead and his own band Govt Mule. Haynes and Trucks are both N.C. boys, both are from Asheville. If you love the guitar you owe it to yourself to look into each of these guys. All 4 are far more than “southern rock” guitarist.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue May 12, 2020 7:27 am

Speaking of Warren Haynes, do yourselves a favor and watch this version of Breakdown he played the night Tom Petty died. He and his band found out about Petty's death during their show and threw down a completely unrehearsed version of Breakdown that was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVyHYMKCdVM

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue May 12, 2020 8:45 am

appst89 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:27 am
Speaking of Warren Haynes, do yourselves a favor and watch this version of Breakdown he played the night Tom Petty died. He and his band found out about Petty's death during their show and threw down a completely unrehearsed version of Breakdown that was amazing.

And the next offering on YouTube was another cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A13tUxH ... mb_rel_end

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:13 am

Tue May 12, 2020 8:45 am
appst89 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:27 am

And the next offering on YouTube was another cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A13tUxH ... mb_rel_end
That’s good stuff, love me some Grace Potter. She did a solo set at the last Christmas Jam and stole the show.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Tue May 12, 2020 12:07 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:19 pm

Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who

I don't listen to this that often,
but when I do,
The neighbors listen to it as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”