Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

5 greatest Bands 60’s 70’s 80’s and 90’s

Mjohn1988
School: Appalachian State

Re: 5 greatest Bands 60’s 70’s 80’s and 90’s

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:11 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:26 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:57 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:00 pm
MAD Doctor wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:49 pm
UK Division
Queen
Pink Floyd
Fleetwood Mac
Led Zeppelin
AC/DC
Alt. The Clash

American Division
Skynard
Kiss
Eagles
Boston
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
Alt. Aerosmith
Boston’s Third Stage tour was the best concert that I have been too.
The first real rock concert I ever attended was a Boston Concert in 1977 (Greensboro Coliseum). Great concert! I think their first album "Boston" was one of the best albums ever, but I have trouble listing them as one of the greatest groups simply because they weren't particularly prolific.
Boston could put on a good show, but they were known for their precision. I definitely wouldn't call them ground-breaking. Good group. I have a few songs on my iTunes, but there were certainly others out there that moved music forward, whereas Boston just cleanly played the music of their era as tight as it could be played.
Actually Tom Scholz played almost all the music except for the drums on both of the first albums. The Boston album was pretty much recorded in his basement. I would argue that Scholz moved rock music forward. He invented a revolutionary guitar amp called the rockman. Scholz is an MIT trained engineer. Saw Boston in the old Charlotte Coliseum. It sounds like a really odd thing for a rock concert but they had a giant pipe organ. Almost 40 years later I can still see the stage in my mind. I would love for them to tour and play the Boston album and the Don’t Look Back album as recorded. I’ve seen Roger Waters do Dark Side and The Wall live as recorded. Listened to those albums so many times uninterrupted from start to finish. It was really cool to to see and here it done live. Waters did both flawlessly. I can still take a drive or just sit down and listen to either of the first two Boston albums start to finish.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri May 29, 2020 8:53 am

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:34 pm
I was poking around looking for fun off-topic distractions and found this a week late, but thought I'd jump in. A lot of these span multiple decades, but I'll put them were they are most associated or most successful.

50s and early 60s: Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Johnny Cash, Fatz Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis

60s: The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Kinks, "Endless Summer" era Beach Boys, The Temptations

70s: The Clash, The Ramones, KISS, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Bob Marley & the Whailers

80s: The Cure, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Go-Go's, REM, The Pretenders, The Police

90s: The Cranberries, Social Distortion, Nirvana, Weezer, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, No Doubt or The Offspring for the last spot

21st Century (slim pickings for sure): Foo Fighters (sure they could go in the 90s, but I'm putting them here anyway because I think they hit their stride in the early 00s, like I said slim pickings), Mumford & Sons, The White Stripes, Muse, Old Crow Medicine Show
This is not a bad list at all and would have a hard time arguing with more than a few. I would remove KISS and add Pink Floyd. I appreciate the amount of ska on the list.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Fri May 29, 2020 4:05 pm

Gotta include North Carolina's Band of Distinction!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri May 29, 2020 5:02 pm

70s: Kraftwerk in and Queen out as well.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Fri May 29, 2020 6:43 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:53 am
AppfaninCAALand wrote:
I was poking around looking for fun off-topic distractions and found this a week late, but thought I'd jump in. A lot of these span multiple decades, but I'll put them were they are most associated or most successful.

50s and early 60s: Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Johnny Cash, Fatz Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis

60s: The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Kinks, "Endless Summer" era Beach Boys, The Temptations

70s: The Clash, The Ramones, KISS, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Bob Marley & the Whailers

80s: The Cure, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Go-Go's, REM, The Pretenders, The Police

90s: The Cranberries, Social Distortion, Nirvana, Weezer, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, No Doubt or The Offspring for the last spot

21st Century (slim pickings for sure): Foo Fighters (sure they could go in the 90s, but I'm putting them here anyway because I think they hit their stride in the early 00s, like I said slim pickings), Mumford & Sons, The White Stripes, Muse, Old Crow Medicine Show
This is not a bad list at all and would have a hard time arguing with more than a few. I would remove KISS and add Pink Floyd. I appreciate the amount of ska on the list.
I put KISS on my list even though I don't particularly like their music. I just think they are such a great example of the craziness that makes live music and rockstars so much fun. That's kind of my thoughts on Queen as well, but I like them a bit more.

I was actually thinking my list didn't include enough ska and reggae but couldn't think who or where else to put it.

I also should have included Southern Culture On The Skids - my wife and I saw them on our first date and again on the weekend of our 16th wedding anniversary - I think that's pretty cool.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri May 29, 2020 7:48 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:43 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:53 am
AppfaninCAALand wrote:

I put KISS on my list even though I don't particularly like their music. I just think they are such a great example of the craziness that makes live music and rockstars so much fun. That's kind of my thoughts on Queen as well, but I like them a bit more.

I was actually thinking my list didn't include enough ska and reggae but couldn't think who or where else to put it.

I also should have included Southern Culture On The Skids - my wife and I saw them on our first date and again on the weekend of our 16th wedding anniversary - I think that's pretty cool.
Your reasoning is sound. I suggested Kraftwerk because they are so influential on so much later. There fan base was certainly more European. For ska one could make a case for the Specials since they got the ball rolling though I think The (English) Beat did more to get that 2nd wave of ska to be listened to more on this side of the pond. (Full Disclosure: The English Beat/General Publlic is my favorite band of all time.) Given the post-WWII Caribbean-British pipeline of emigration that was not as prevalent in the USA it was inevitable that ska was more British. And you had The Clash and though not known for ska that band was all over the place in all the best ways and they had "Rudie Can't Fail" on London Calling.

You could also swap out Marley and the Wailers for Jimmy Cliff and I would not be upset. The Harder They Come is a great album, and my original vinyl of that is one of my top 5 pieces of vinyl given it is an original, though not in any sort of shape to be of great value.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat May 30, 2020 4:29 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:50 pm
Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, Dylan
Bob Dylan was a band? Guess you meant Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, Dylan was a five member band. lol
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat May 30, 2020 6:12 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 4:29 pm
Bob Dylan was a band? Guess you meant Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, Dylan was a five member band. lol
No, I'm talking about the one and only Dylan that spits hot fire.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Sat May 30, 2020 7:00 pm

Sat May 30, 2020 6:12 pm
NewApp wrote:
Man, The Chappelle Show was the best. My freshman year we used to have watch parties in the commons area of Coltrane & Gardner. Great times.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat May 30, 2020 7:04 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:00 pm
Sat May 30, 2020 6:12 pm
NewApp wrote:
Man, The Chappelle Show was the best. My freshman year we used to have watch parties in the commons area of Coltrane & Gardner. Great times.
Forever will be classics.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”