Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Solid points brought up. Potential P5 break.

appdaze

Solid points brought up. Potential P5 break.

Unread post by appdaze » Wed May 27, 2020 9:23 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... m-the-fbs/

I pulled a few things that stuck out to me and commented. Good read nad food for off season fodder

"Basketball would be the tipping point here because it is the financial backbone of the NCAA."

I suppose from a marketing and image perspective this is true. I'd be interested in the numbers compared to football.

"A Washington University study commissioned by ESPN stated, if the football season were canceled, the Power Five could lose $4 billion."

Now That is a back breaking number....

"The dividing line between the haves and have nots is simple sports Darwinism. Large public state universities with massive followings can be athletically self-sufficient. Below that line, the more state subsidies schools use in the form of student fees, the more vulnerable they are.

That's why the likes of the MAC have shuddered financially. More schools will follow if for no other reason than this: If sports aren't being played and enrollment doesn't go up, those fees will dry up."

I've never been much of a fan of the student fee model of athletic funding. I feel like we are on the edge of this. We are smaller than the big state school in this regard but are larger than most mid majors.

The article also takes a swing at UNC and the lack of accountability from the NCAA.

""If you talk about the Power Five breaking away … the American has been adamant that they would have to go with them," a source close to the conference said."

I wonder how many others in the powers that be share this view?

moonshine
School: Appalachian State

Re: Solid points brought up. Potential P5 break.

Unread post by moonshine » Thu May 28, 2020 8:12 am

Dennis Dodd spreading misinformation.

“The "Power Five" nickname itself sprang organically out of the 2015 NCAA Convention that granted those conferences more autonomy in NCAA matters.”

There was nothing “organic” about P5, obviously media driven!

Dennis Dodd in 2014:

“A seven-person subcommittee of that board approved a process for the power five conferences, in essence, to govern themselves.”

https://www.cbssports.com/college-foot ... athletics/
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu May 28, 2020 8:36 am

It was an interesting read. I had similar takeaways. My interest lie in the P5 mantra. It seems to be a bigger thing for football than for basketball. If they choose to breakaway, they are going to do it for football money only and is that enough? Does March Madness exist as the tournament belongs to the NCAA. Do basketball centric schools that exist in these football driven conferences want any part of it? Could a Duke, Wake, or Vandy, drop out of their current conferences and say join the Big East for sports and regionalize for football? Far fetched I know, but who knows.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:55 am

This is the culling that should happen regardless of Covid.

130 FBS teams is far too many and a vast majority are kidding themselves on their status. So many have never sniffed a ranking and just exist with 4-7 win seasons and an occasional bowl appearance. And yes, I see the irony in complaining about “too many FBS teams” when we were one of the most recent call-ups.

This article nails my sentiment though. There’s a boat leaving harbour and it’ll have about 80-90 schools on it. 65 of them already have a guaranteed seat which potentially leaves about 15-25 spots.

Winning and staying relevant have never mattered more than the coming season if we want to make our case. Otherwise that boat will leave and we will be stuck in a glorified FCS division with has beens and have nots.
YNWA

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu May 28, 2020 11:36 am

""If you talk about the Power Five breaking away … the American has been adamant that they would have to go with them," a source close to the conference said." Really? They have no leverage. "Have to go" or what?

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu May 28, 2020 12:15 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:36 am
""If you talk about the Power Five breaking away … the American has been adamant that they would have to go with them," a source close to the conference said." Really? They have no leverage. "Have to go" or what?
The AAC is worlds apart from the rest of the G5 in terms of perception and athletic funding. Half that conference got left behind in the reshuffle of P5/G5.

The only difference between Louisville/West Virginia/Pitt/Rutgers/Syracuse/TCU

And

Cincinnati/USF/Temple/Houston/UCF/Memphis

is that the latter got left behind.

I can see plenty of reasons why the AAC should just be absorbed into the “P5 break off”.
YNWA

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu May 28, 2020 1:26 pm

I would be ok with staying in the "Scholarship Only" group. I think it is what makes college sports great. I just want a real championship opportunity. I am OK as well to go the FBS/P5 pay route as long as we have a legit division of money and a legit shot at a championship. I don't want to go along and play with an arm and leg tied behind our back (Less Money) as we are now.

Maybe Clemson has two programs. The pay the players team and the scholarship team.

If College sports/football continues down the path they are on, it will only lead to semipro football. Team that can pay the most will win. Other teams will get tired of it.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu May 28, 2020 2:09 pm

So here is a question for the group. Opinions are opinions and there is no wrong answer. But if they went to this model of 90 to 100 teams with the initial 65 being the current P5 schools and Notre Dame, which 25 teams do you think fills out the 90 quota?

Here are my 25 in no particular order. I am making my list on the premise that the schools in play are part of the top 90-100 of the 130. Markets and current affiliations aside.

AAC: (9) Cincy, UCF, USF, Tenple, ECU, Memphis, Navy, SMU, Houston

CUSA: (4) Marshall, La Tech, Southern Miss, North Texas

Indys: (2) Army, BYU

MAC: (2) Northern Illinois, Buffalo

MWC: (4) Boise, SDSU, Air Force, Nevada

Sun Belt: (4) App, Ark St, Louisiana, Troy,
Last edited by AppSt94 on Thu May 28, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu May 28, 2020 2:17 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:09 pm
So here is a question for the group. Opinions are opinions and there is no wrong answer. But if they went to this model of 90 to 100 teams with the initial 65 being the current P5 schools and Notre Dame, which 25 teams do you think fills out the 90 quota?
Unfortunately, I think from North Carolina....UNCC is in and both us and ECU are out. I think MARKETZ will mater. I can see UCF and USF but neither of the F_U. Georgia State in / Georgia Southern Out.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Thu May 28, 2020 2:38 pm

I imagine in 10-20 years college sports will be a minor league professional system with regulations just like the various big leagues.

To help with guessing on the last 25 here is the wikipedia that lists in a matrices the schools in each G5 conference. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_Five_conferences

All AAC teams would be included. Thats 12. C-USA I could see Southern Miss for 13. MW Fresno, Hawaii, Nevada, UNLV, San Diego State, Air Force, Boise, Colorado st., New Mexico, Utah St. Wyoming, BYU, New Mexico St, Army. Thats 27. I say 27 because the military academies are wild cards. I don't actually know if they could legally go down the path of paid to play. That would drop it to 24 if they had to leave. That could leave 1 spot if we can beat out the others.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Thu May 28, 2020 2:59 pm

My hair hurts.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”