Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Cancellations moving into the Fall

MAD Doctor
School: Appalachian State

Cancellations moving into the Fall

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:24 pm

The Valle Country Fair, an October High Country tradition has announced it will be virtual for 2020. Sorry, but it’s all about the tastes, smells, autumn air, and other things you can’t get off a computer. I guess the Wooly Worm, Ghost Train, and Haunted Horn will be next. The negative impact will be felt across the high country. Very concerning that cancellations are moving into the Fall.
F768DED1-00A4-422D-A03D-6E7C9CB59350.jpeg

BeauFoster

Re: Cancellations moving into the Fall

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:54 am

I hate to say it, but it’s highly unlikely we see football in the fall. If anything, maybe we play a conference slate. B-ball likely the same (very few out of conference games). I know this is what some conferences are already discussing and planning for, and D-II is going to do it for basketball.
Give 'em hell!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:06 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:54 am
I hate to say it, but it’s highly unlikely we see football in the fall. If anything, maybe we play a conference slate. B-ball likely the same (very few out of conference games). I know this is what some conferences are already discussing and planning for, and D-II is going to do it for basketball.
We still have time to get this under control before labor day. Just wear a f'ing mask, wash your hands often, practice some social distancing which likely will place limits on a good many businesses but not a complete shutdown either.

Hopefully that will be good enough to protect the athletes and staff. There is a lot of close contact in football and that is a HUGE problem.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:33 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:06 am
BeauFoster wrote:
We still have time to get this under control before labor day. Just wear a f'ing mask, wash your hands often, practice some social distancing which likely will place limits on a good many businesses but not a complete shutdown either.

Hopefully that will be good enough to protect the athletes and staff. There is a lot of close contact in football and that is a HUGE problem.
Good point. On almost every play, players are touching other players or touching the ball which has been handled by others.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:13 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:33 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:06 am
BeauFoster wrote:

Good point. On almost every play, players are touching other players or touching the ball which has been handled by others.
I would not be too worried about the football. Not impossible to transmit this way I am sure but from what I have read that sort of transmission vector is way down the list. I would think the real issue is the breathing on each other. A clear facemask cover would help but I am not if it would hep enough for the lineman. There would still be a very open area around the neck for air borne particles to move around from person to person and those linemen are up in each others face a lot on play.

There must be LOTS of pre game testing and maybe some rule changes for teams that lost players.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:27 pm

The CDC said yesterday that something like 25 million people have likely had it and were mostly asymptotic. I know there are other things in play here, but I think we safely could have a season. I just think that some powers that be, maybe not in sports but state governments, that will try to keep this alive for as long as possible. Sorry, but I don’t trust politicians.
Give 'em hell!

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:54 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:27 pm
The CDC said yesterday that something like 25 million people have likely had it and were mostly asymptotic. I know there are other things in play here, but I think we safely could have a season. I just think that some powers that be, maybe not in sports but state governments, that will try to keep this alive for as long as possible. Sorry, but I don’t trust politicians.
Agreed. I also think that we need to at some point accept that this is never going away. The flu vaccine every year is ~50% effective, so I'm imagining the coronavirus vaccine will be roughly similar. Understanding this has a theoretical higher mortality rate (we really don't know right now) and I also understand the argument about the symptoms of the flu being much lower in those with a flu vaccine, but if we keep cancelling everything every time a single person gets it, we're never going to have anything again. I think we as a society have forgotten that there is inherent risk in everything and not just when the media or politicians are telling us there is.

That said, I'll happily wear a mask everywhere in close contact with people for however long it takes if it means getting back to normal.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:22 am

I live down here on the Brunswick County coast. We are continuing to go up in cases. The homes on Sunset and Ocean Isle are full. Still a few people not wearing masks. Restaurants and grocery stores are full. With the huge influx of people, not sure anything is going to change anytime soon. Horry County (Myrtle Beach) is the next County from us in SC, and the COVID is running rampant....

And, there are now documented cases of people going back home after catching the virus here.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

app87

Unread post by app87 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:25 am

Longrifle28 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:22 am
I live down here on the Brunswick County coast. We are continuing to go up in cases. The homes on Sunset and Ocean Isle are full. Still a few people not wearing masks. Restaurants and grocery stores are full. With the huge influx of people, not sure anything is going to change anytime soon. Horry County (Myrtle Beach) is the next County from us in SC, and the COVID is running rampant....

And, there are now documented cases of people going back home after catching the virus here.
I live and work in healthcare in Horry County and the cases are spiking here. Many of the travelers are not wearing masks and restaurants and businesses are not requiring anyone wear them, yet. This seems such a small thing to do (mask wearing) to curb and prevent the spread but as one vacationer stated to me when he saw me wearing a mask, "I'm on vacation, screw wearing those *&(*^%ing things!".

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:57 pm

app87 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:25 am
Longrifle28 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:22 am

I live and work in healthcare in Horry County and the cases are spiking here. Many of the travelers are not wearing masks and restaurants and businesses are not requiring anyone wear them, yet. This seems such a small thing to do (mask wearing) to curb and prevent the spread but as one vacationer stated to me when he saw me wearing a mask, "I'm on vacation, screw wearing those *&(*^%ing things!".
Not surprising. Most don't give a crap.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:09 pm

North Myrtle just said “wear face covering while inside public places” outside “your choice”. 1/2 ass ordinance!
Bring Your A Game!

appstategrad2008

Unread post by appstategrad2008 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:14 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Even while coming very close to but not touching, we can still transmit the virus...

I apologize, I really really had to... :lol:

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:37 pm

appstategrad2008 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:14 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Even while coming very close to but not touching, we can still transmit the virus...

I apologize, I really really had to... :lol:
Stupid mobile keyboard and autocorrect...
Give 'em hell!

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:50 pm

I don’t want to sound like an alarmist, but things are getting pretty bad in Boone. The count of cases have more than doubled in the past month and, from what I understand, the following have now closed due to employees with confirmed cases of COVID: Starbucks, Krispy Kreme, Tapp Room, Ransom, Makoto’s, and Blowing Rock Market. Those who live in the High Country or visiting over the holiday, stay safe.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:17 am

BeauFoster wrote:
If the CDC estimation is true, then that would put the mortality rate at .5%.

appstanding

Unread post by appstanding » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:48 am

BeauFoster wrote:
You may not like the governor or approve of his politics overall, but there is zero chance that he has put restrictions in place to "try to keep this alive for as long as possible." No politician from any party would risk sabotaging his/her career by taking away or restricting things near and dear to his citizens. The governor is a moderate politician in a purple state and he has tried to navigate a middle course between taking common sense measures that will slow the virus spread without completely restricting freedoms and the economy. No politician, including the one opposing him in the Fall, would purposely choose to put himself in the precarious position on the last few months. It's any governor's nightmare.

And while you're pitching conspiracy theories, you might as well tell us the part about government's co-conspirators--health care professionals, heath care corporations and organizations and major retailers--who are secretly working together to encourage the spread of the virus so that they can all line their pockets while simultaneously enacting a plan to control the American people. Yep, all part of the plan.

Let's come together as a people, follow the recommendations of health professionals, and stop trying to find someone to blame. Quite a few other nations in the world have shown us this can be done.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:28 am

MAD Doctor wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:50 pm
I don’t want to sound like an alarmist, but things are getting pretty bad in Boone. The count of cases have more than doubled in the past month and, from what I understand, the following have now closed due to employees with confirmed cases of COVID: Starbucks, Krispy Kreme, Tapp Room, Ransom, Makoto’s, and Blowing Rock Market. Those who live in the High Country or visiting over the holiday, stay safe.
I'm not disputing your report,
But, per the NCDHHS website. Watauga County has 70 Confirmed Cases, 0 Deaths and an infection rate of 13 per 10,000 people (and maybe those workers were tallied in the counties where their parents live.)
Avery County has 12 Confirmed Cases, 0 Deaths and an infection rate of 7 per 10K people
Ashe County has 54 cases, 1 Death and an infection rate of 20 per 10K.

Compare that to Mecklenburg: 11534, 147 Deaths and 105 cases per 10K or Forsyth 3,077 cases, 35 Deaths and 81 per 10K

On a plus side, if Football is played, there is a chance of fans in the stands. Bristol Motor Speedway is going to host up to 30,000 fans for the All-Star Race on July 15 and the Indy 500 intends to open stands to 50% capacity on August 23rd. (Approximately 125,000 fans)

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:58 am

appstanding wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:48 am
BeauFoster wrote:
You may not like the governor or approve of his politics overall, but there is zero chance that he has put restrictions in place to "try to keep this alive for as long as possible." No politician from any party would risk sabotaging his/her career by taking away or restricting things near and dear to his citizens. The governor is a moderate politician in a purple state and he has tried to navigate a middle course between taking common sense measures that will slow the virus spread without completely restricting freedoms and the economy. No politician, including the one opposing him in the Fall, would purposely choose to put himself in the precarious position on the last few months. It's any governor's nightmare.

And while you're pitching conspiracy theories, you might as well tell us the part about government's co-conspirators--health care professionals, heath care corporations and organizations and major retailers--who are secretly working together to encourage the spread of the virus so that they can all line their pockets while simultaneously enacting a plan to control the American people. Yep, all part of the plan.

Let's come together as a people, follow the recommendations of health professionals, and stop trying to find someone to blame. Quite a few other nations in the world have shown us this can be done.
We can agree to disagree, but I do believe that some of what is being said and done is politically motivated. Maybe not all, because much of it is unfortunately necessary because people are dumb and won’t stay apart and keep doing stupid stuff like have COVID parties.

Certain folks would like to see the populous become more dependent on government handouts and oversight, because that increases their power.
Give 'em hell!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:01 pm

Ivy League is to make a statement next week about fall sports.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/01/ivy-leagu ... ll-season/

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:37 pm

The Ivy doesn't really have any fans and they don't need the money, so if they announce they will play that would be a very good sign. My guess is they cancel.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”