Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Cancellations moving into the Fall

The Rock
School: Appalachian State

Re: Cancellations moving into the Fall

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:15 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:28 am
MAD Doctor wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:50 pm
I don’t want to sound like an alarmist, but things are getting pretty bad in Boone. The count of cases have more than doubled in the past month and, from what I understand, the following have now closed due to employees with confirmed cases of COVID: Starbucks, Krispy Kreme, Tapp Room, Ransom, Makoto’s, and Blowing Rock Market. Those who live in the High Country or visiting over the holiday, stay safe.
I'm not disputing your report,
But, per the NCDHHS website. Watauga County has 70 Confirmed Cases, 0 Deaths and an infection rate of 13 per 10,000 people (and maybe those workers were tallied in the counties where their parents live.)
Avery County has 12 Confirmed Cases, 0 Deaths and an infection rate of 7 per 10K people
Ashe County has 54 cases, 1 Death and an infection rate of 20 per 10K.

Compare that to Mecklenburg: 11534, 147 Deaths and 105 cases per 10K or Forsyth 3,077 cases, 35 Deaths and 81 per 10K

On a plus side, if Football is played, there is a chance of fans in the stands. Bristol Motor Speedway is going to host up to 30,000 fans for the All-Star Race on July 15 and the Indy 500 intends to open stands to 50% capacity on August 23rd. (Approximately 125,000 fans)
Cases in the high country are low by comparison to major NC cities, but i think the point MadDr was trying to make is that the cases have risen sharply in a short amount of time. Looking out my window today, King st is packed and there are a lot of FL license plates in the mix. I bet we see another spike in the next 2 weeks after the holiday weekend.

WASU 93
School: Appalachian State

Re: Cancellations moving into the Fall

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:49 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:15 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:28 am
MAD Doctor wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:50 pm
I don’t want to sound like an alarmist, but things are getting pretty bad in Boone. The count of cases have more than doubled in the past month and, from what I understand, the following have now closed due to employees with confirmed cases of COVID: Starbucks, Krispy Kreme, Tapp Room, Ransom, Makoto’s, and Blowing Rock Market. Those who live in the High Country or visiting over the holiday, stay safe.
I'm not disputing your report,
But, per the NCDHHS website. Watauga County has 70 Confirmed Cases, 0 Deaths and an infection rate of 13 per 10,000 people (and maybe those workers were tallied in the counties where their parents live.)
Avery County has 12 Confirmed Cases, 0 Deaths and an infection rate of 7 per 10K people
Ashe County has 54 cases, 1 Death and an infection rate of 20 per 10K.

Compare that to Mecklenburg: 11534, 147 Deaths and 105 cases per 10K or Forsyth 3,077 cases, 35 Deaths and 81 per 10K

On a plus side, if Football is played, there is a chance of fans in the stands. Bristol Motor Speedway is going to host up to 30,000 fans for the All-Star Race on July 15 and the Indy 500 intends to open stands to 50% capacity on August 23rd. (Approximately 125,000 fans)
Per Watauga online the Case Count went from 24 on June 1 to 65 on June 30 (no doubt an increase). 27 Cases were still active on June 30. As of today, the count is up to 78 cases (13 new cases in three days). So, yes, as people get out more, it is spreading, but we do not know the severity of the cases.

Additionally, 39 non-residents of the Watauga, Ashe, Avery have positively tested for Corona (assuming, since March).

But, it's good to have all of the facts. In NC, on June 24 (per NCDHHS) there were 915 people hospitalized attributed to COVID. On July 3, there are 912 people hospitalized.

On June 8th in North Carolina, there were 36.484 and 1,006 Deaths. On July 3 (25 days later), there are 68.142 cases, and 1,391 Deaths.

So, the number of cases has almost doubled, but the rate of hospitalization and deaths for those infected is dramatically decreasing.

Of the 68K cases, over 45,000 people in NC are fully recovered.

Hence, when words like "alarmist" and "getting pretty bad in Boone" are used, I think it helps to have the numbers presented.

COVID is bad. The spread will most likely continue throughout the summer. For whatever reason, severity seems to be ratcheting down.

Cases in the high country are low by comparison to major NC cities, but i think the point MadDr was trying to make is that the cases have risen sharply in a short amount of time. Looking out my window today, King st is packed and there are a lot of FL license plates in the mix. I bet we see another spike in the next 2 weeks after the holiday weekend.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”