Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Canes Advance!!!

JPatH3292
School: Appalachian State

Re: Canes Advance!!!

Unread post by JPatH3292 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:48 am

Also someone correct me if I’m wrong but if the Pens lose again, they be out and the Canes will get the lowest seeded team from the qualifiers correct?

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:55 am

JPatH3292 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:48 am
Also someone correct me if I’m wrong but if the Pens lose again, they be out and the Canes will get the lowest seeded team from the qualifiers correct?
Correct on the Pens losing and being out. And yes, Canes would be highest seed from qualifications, if Pens lose.

Here are the seeds going into the qualification round;
Pens - 5
Canes - 6
Isles - 7
Leafs - 8
Jackets - 9
Panthers - 10
Rangers - 11
Habs - 12

As much as I'd love to see the Habs beat the Pens I'd put more money on Pens taking it, even being down 2-1.
I'd bet the Isles finish their series up Friday.
Leafs/Jackets is totally up in the air.
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:52 am

Pens look out of sync. Malkin cannot get going. Murray looks vulnerable at net. Crosby cannot do it by himself.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:42 am

The issue with Forslund not returning was the contract offered by Dundon. It isn't that NBC lured him away. He WANTED to stay...he said so in multiple interviews. Dundon offered him a terrible contract, significantly reduced in salary, with weird and unheard of provisions for a broadcaster's contract such as his pay being tied to fan attendance. It basically made him and independent contractor who got paid on a game by game basis, with no long term guarantee. It was a terrible deal. He countered, but Dundon refused. A very insulting offer for someone who's been one of the faces and pillars of the franchise for 20+ years. I've liked Dundon so far in almost everything he's done, but this is a terrible move.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:54 am

canes_mj wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:42 am
The issue with Forslund not returning was the contract offered by Dundon. It isn't that NBC lured him away. He WANTED to stay...he said so in multiple interviews. Dundon offered him a terrible contract, significantly reduced in salary, with weird and unheard of provisions for a broadcaster's contract such as his pay being tied to fan attendance. It basically made him and independent contractor who got paid on a game by game basis, with no long term guarantee. It was a terrible deal. He countered, but Dundon refused. A very insulting offer for someone who's been one of the faces and pillars of the franchise for 20+ years. I've liked Dundon so far in almost everything he's done, but this is a terrible move.
Didn't know all of that - thanks for posting - really, really stupid - wasn't he the guy who dumped Chuck Caitan after what? - 40 years
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:26 am

It looks like Shultz’s and Johnson’s incompetent play on the defensive end (I’m not placing all the blame on Murray), will lead to an early exit by my Penguins. Unless things change, the hungrier team with a hot goalie will complete the 5-12 upset tomorrow.

No matter what, just don’t let the capitals (look at their logo. They call themselves the capitals, but there are no capital letters in it) win.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:39 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:54 am
canes_mj wrote:
Didn't know all of that - thanks for posting - really, really stupid - wasn't he the guy who dumped Chuck Caitan after what? - 40 years
Yes. Dundon's view is basically that every position but the players is relatively easy to replace, and he shouldn't overpay for them. Sometimes works out great (Rod Brind'Amour!), sometimes pisses fans off (Kaiton, Forslund). Understandable from a cold, bottom-line perspective - fans will be upset, but they probably won't stop watching/listening because the announcers have changed.

The RBA hire probably also made it tougher for Forslund because it just reinforced Dundon's belief that he can hire on the cheap with good results.

Then again, better than when the old front office would bring back every retired player who ever played there for made up front office jobs that didn't do anything.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:04 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:39 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
canes_mj wrote:
Yes. Dundon's view is basically that every position but the players is relatively easy to replace, and he shouldn't overpay for them. Sometimes works out great (Rod Brind'Amour!), sometimes pisses fans off (Kaiton, Forslund). Understandable from a cold, bottom-line perspective - fans will be upset, but they probably won't stop watching/listening because the announcers have changed.

The RBA hire probably also made it tougher for Forslund because it just reinforced Dundon's belief that he can hire on the cheap with good results.

Then again, better than when the old front office would bring back every retired player who ever played there for made up front office jobs that didn't do anything.
I hate to say it bc I love Forslund, but Dundon is probably correct. You said it well that fans won't stop following the team....the casuals won't be upset enough that Forslund is gone bc their attachment is casual, and the hardcores won't stop watching/attending/following. This includes myself. The Kaiton decision I think was a good one, as radio listeners were at only about 2K per game I heard....didn't justify the $$ to Chuck. (Honestly everyone talks about how great he was, but I couldn't stand to listen to him. He voice grated on my nerves and his cadence was hectic and frantic and annoying). Forslund is a different story. I do agree the overall trend of getting rid of people who he doesn't think are needed is MUCH more preferable than the old ways of doing nothing and not holding anyone accountable. Rutherford's bad moves, E. Staals under performance, 2nd tours of duty for washed up players, Chad LaRose on the 1st line, etc.....Dundon is much closer to the New England Patriot philosophy, which speaks for itself in results.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:37 am

canes_mj wrote:
I am one who is very skeptical of Dundon... I'm thinking the Canes will be playing in Houston at some point in the future. Sad, but my thoughts.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:08 am

YesAppCan wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:37 am
canes_mj wrote:
I am one who is very skeptical of Dundon... I'm thinking the Canes will be playing in Houston at some point in the future. Sad, but my thoughts.
I don't know about Houston, but agree about Dundon, that guy is bottom line all the way . . . I don't think most people understand the financial implications of having this team in NC. The jobs, tax benefits, philanthropic dollars the Canes give out, etc. Even if you don't like Hockey, you should support their existence and want them here long term.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:18 am

I think at some point he’ll try to strong-arm the city for a downtown arena.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:07 pm

If he hooks up with John Kane of North Hills fame they’ll get an arena on the capital building. John is a master of getting tax payers to assist in his development. Not always a bad thing “mid town”🙄 is a pretty thriving place now.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:30 pm

1ASU78 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:07 pm
If he hooks up with John Kane of North Hills fame they’ll get an arena on the capital building. John is a master of getting tax payers to assist in his development. Not always a bad thing “mid town”🙄 is a pretty thriving place now.
I see the eye roll, but as a resident of that part of Raleigh (not North Hills), I fully endorse “midtown.” :lol:

I don’t think there’s anything seriously in motion yet, but one person suggested to me that the planned “Downtown South” development where the soccer stadium would have gone might be the most likely target.

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:36 pm

canes_mj wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:04 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:39 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
canes_mj wrote:

I hate to say it bc I love Forslund, but Dundon is probably correct. You said it well that fans won't stop following the team....the casuals won't be upset enough that Forslund is gone bc their attachment is casual, and the hardcores won't stop watching/attending/following. This includes myself. The Kaiton decision I think was a good one, as radio listeners were at only about 2K per game I heard....didn't justify the $$ to Chuck. (Honestly everyone talks about how great he was, but I couldn't stand to listen to him. He voice grated on my nerves and his cadence was hectic and frantic and annoying). Forslund is a different story. I do agree the overall trend of getting rid of people who he doesn't think are needed is MUCH more preferable than the old ways of doing nothing and not holding anyone accountable. Rutherford's bad moves, E. Staals under performance, 2nd tours of duty for washed up players, Chad LaRose on the 1st line, etc.....Dundon is much closer to the New England Patriot philosophy, which speaks for itself in results.
Agree on Kaiton, couldn't stand him! I love Forslund though and am sad with what transpired. I don't hold any of it against John though. He's got to do what's best for him. Dundon is gonna Dundon. It's going to back fire sometimes but so far his moves have been very positive. Totally agree on the NE Patriot design being used here. When you win, everything else takes care of itself.
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:05 pm

An arena where the proposed soccer was going to be built could be a boost.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:42 pm

gotta do something with that land that has already been scarfed up

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:25 pm

AppOrange wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:42 pm
gotta do something with that land that has already been scarfed up
Where exactly is it?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:16 pm

I would assume NC State would remain in the present arena, and a new one downtown could host the ACC Tournament, since it would be a neutral court.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:32 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:16 pm
I would assume NC State would remain in the present arena, and a new one downtown could host the ACC Tournament, since it would be a neutral court.

True, but wouldn't it be a neutral court in name only, AppinVa?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:01 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:32 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:16 pm

True, but wouldn't it be a neutral court in name only, AppinVa?
Yeah. But Greensboro has been that for many decades.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”