Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Help—looking for quotes for Medicare supplement

wncapp78
School: Appalachian State

Help—looking for quotes for Medicare supplement

Unread post by wncapp78 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:15 am

Well it’s that time. Time when us Mountaineers who cheered for Press Maravich and Jim Brakefield coached teams need to sign up for Medicare. YIKES!
Thus I’m interested in getting some quotes on Medigap supplements. If you work in insurance and want to send me your contact info in a PM I would appreciate it! Go Apps!

Oldlknapp

Re: Help—looking for quotes for Medicare supplement

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:16 am

Suggest you go here for information first:

https://www.nc.gov/services/seniors-hea ... gram-shiip

It is a free service by the state to help you navigate all the options.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:37 pm

It's amazing to me that private insurance has managed to latch on to fixed income retirees. I really know nothing about what Medicare covers but I always thought it took the place of personal insurance. Judging from the ever increasing number of ads I see for supplemental insurance I'd say a rather large share of the cost burden is being shifted to retirees. I would almost bet by the time I am eligible for Medicare, supplements will cost almost as much as my current insurance; which is ridiculously high and will likely be unaffordable on my fixed income. I get it, if I had a multi-billion dollar business and could see a significant number of my customers aging out, I'd probably be lobbying to change the rules to make sure I don't loose that income. Is that what's happened, or am I wrong on this? Are costs not being shifted to those least able to pay? And, how do people, many of whom can't figure out how to connect to the internet, manage the maze of options which seem to change annually...Seems rife with the opportunity to take advantage of our elderly to me....am I wrong?

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:12 pm

When you go on Medicare your monthly Medicare "premiums" are normally taken out of your Social Security payment. If you have a higher retirement income, they take a larger amount out of your Social Security.

While there are various types of Medicare plans, the two most used are "advantage" plans where you don't pay any extra "premiums" and "Supplemental" plans where you do pay extra "premiums". If you are a retired teacher or government employee, oftentimes your retirement plan includes "supplemental" coverage at no cost to you. It's a great benefit, but sometimes the benefit plan options are a little more restricted.

The most interesting thing is the coverage. While oftentimes the "premium" cost is not too different, the COVERAGE, especially with drug cost, can vary greatly not only between companies, but between different plans within the same company.

That's why SHIPP exist... to help navigate all that and come up with the best alternative for you. And a lot of your options are dependent on your zip code. BTW: SHIPP doesn't sell anything, and the people that help are usually volunteers.

And you should check back with SHIPP EVERY YEAR before you renew a plan. the insurance companies change coverage (especially drug) every year. And the best plan for you last year may not be the best for you this year.

9Steelman

Unread post by 9Steelman » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:35 pm

I am retired now but did this for years. You have 3 choices. Do nothing and just take Medicare (no drug coverage) do not recommend. #2 enroll in an Advantage Plan (includes hospital, doctors, & drugs) has deductible & copays. Make sure your doctors accepts. #3 enroll Med Sup and separate drug plan best coverage for doctors & hospital but cost more. #3 is definitely best if you have health issues. Van Shore CMS Insurance in Yadkinville is a pro. He is also yosef club member & season ticket holder. 336-469-0631 I personally have Humana PPO advantage plan Surry County. Zero premium and they add back dollars to my SS each month, but do have deductible, & copays. It is not that complicated, and there is no right and wrong answer. You are in an open enrollment period, sign up for what is best for you. Best coverage either way, lowest cost for most in years. Do not buy from someone you do not know and has not been recommended or over the internet. Same price and coverage with or without agent, take the local agent everytime.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:16 am

"take the local agent everytime."

this. it does vary by location and the local agent is the best route.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:30 am

I'm fortunate to have Tricare for Life as a supplement.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:56 pm

wncapp78, these folks that have responded have covered it all with good advice. I hope that you have a supplemental plan from whatever it is that you retired from. If you retired with state benefits (teacher, law enforcement, etc.), between Medicare and the state plan you’ll have as a supplemental plan, you’ll be in good shape. Real good shape. Good luck.

hAPPy4APP

Re: Help—looking for quotes for Medicare supplementary

Unread post by hAPPy4APP » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:54 pm

Assured Life, subsidiary of Mutual of Omaha. I doubt youll find a better rate.
Don Harris is a trusteorthy sgent thst will stsy on top of insurance related issues.
828-328-3881

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”